1. #1 Penn State President's sick paper on child molestation 
    From the guy who is really responsible for the Penn State sex abuse scandal, even if he hasn't been charged:

http://chronicle.com/article/Held-Up...efense/134058/

"Unfathomable."

That is the word Graham B. Spanier, the ousted Pennsylvania State University president, chose to use in response to the charge that he knowingly overlooked the crimes of a child predator in his midst. The allegation defies logic, he argued in a July letter to Penn State trustees, because Mr. Spanier has devoted his scholarly and professional life to studying the welfare of children, and is also a victim of [physical, not sexual] abuse....

...Mr. Spanier's defense has prompted renewed focus on his scholarship, as reporters and bloggers scour journal articles and books that had previously been of passing intrigue to few outside of academe. What the publications reveal is a man whose fleeting interests in human sexuality led to a broader and sometimes pessimistic exploration of the state of the American family...

...The article, "Sexualization and Premarital Sexual Behavior," examined several variables, including abuse, that might compel a person to have sex before marriage. The paper served as a retort to critics of formalized sex-education programs, which Mr. Spanier found to have no direct link to premarital sex patterns.

Mr. Spanier concluded that sexual abuse before the age of 12 or 13 would have no influence on premarital sexual behavior, because genital touching would be "interpreted by the child as tickling or playing, whether pleasurable or not."

Mr. Sandusky's victims, who were all boys, ranged in age from 8 to 17, according to prosecutors.

In the context of recent events, Mr. Spanier's assertion that young children might interpret sex acts as "playing" carries a distinct irony. After an assistant football coach saw Mr. Sandusky raping a boy in a Penn State locker room in 2001, Mr. Spanier said he was told only that there had been some "horseplay."

"I didn't conjure up ... anything more than throwing water or snapping towels," Mr. Spanier told ABC.

Young children may not understand sexual experiences, but they know enough not to talk about them, Mr. Spanier surmised in his research.

"Children probably pick up cues from adults about sex play which inform the children that it should be concealed," Mr. Spanier wrote.

Mr. Spanier's 1975 paper only examined sexual abuse in girls, not boys...

There's a lot more at the link. I'd really like to hear noonwitch's take on this.

Gram Spanier is the scum of the earth. I wish I never knew the guy. He should be in jail along with Sandusky. The douchebag.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    Gram Spanier is the scum of the earth. I wish I never knew the guy. He should be in jail along with Sandusky. The douchebag.
    A-freaking-MEN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    A-freaking-MEN!!!
    Are you a subscriber to that publication? I would like to cross post it at the other site but the link says i need a subscription to see the full content.

Penn State most likely has one of the following programs, academically speaking: social work, education, a law school, a med school-professors in any of those programs could have given any PSU administrator the appropriate advise for how to deal with a pedophile using your school's programs as a cover for raping children. Call the cops, then call CPS. Fax CPS a written report within 24 hours.

I have no sympathy for any administrator or Penn State employee who knew about the abuse and did less than what is required by law by those in their profession. I'll save my sympathy for Sandusky's victims, his sons and the innocent students at Penn State whose school's name has been ruined by these jerks.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Penn State most likely has one of the following programs, academically speaking: social work, education, a law school, a med school-professors in any of those programs could have given any PSU administrator the appropriate advise for how to deal with a pedophile using your school's programs as a cover for raping children. Call the cops, then call CPS. Fax CPS a written report within 24 hours.

I have no sympathy for any administrator or Penn State employee who knew about the abuse and did less than what is required by law by those in their profession. I'll save my sympathy for Sandusky's victims, his sons and the innocent students at Penn State whose school's name has been ruined by these jerks.
    I think that what sets the Sandusky case apart, and I have not followed it all that closely, is that there was an actual witness to an actual sex crime.

What I don't get is why people were letting the younger children so far off the leash.

I still think that when people read stuff like this, they are more interested in convincing themselves that they haven't put their own children in danger than they are in looking at how much access others actually have to their children.