1. #1 Today in History september 8 2012 
    Today in History
    September 8
    1504 Michelangelo's 13-foot marble statue of David is unveiled in Florence, Italy.
    1529 The Ottoman Sultan Suleiman re-enters Buda and establishes John Zapolyai as the puppet king of Hungary.
    1565 Spanish explorers found St. Augustine, Florida, the first permanent European settlement in what is now the United States.
    1628 John Endecott arrives with colonists at Salem, Massachusetts, where he will become the governor.
    1644 The Dutch colony of New Amsterdam surrenders to the British fleet that sails into its harbor. Five years later, the British change the name to New York.
    1755 British forces under William Johnson defeat the French and the Indians at the Battle of Lake George.
    1760 The French surrender the city of Montreal to the British.
    1845 A French column surrenders at Sidi Brahim in the Algerian War.
    1863 Confederate Lieutenant Dick Dowling thwarts a Union naval landing at Sabine Pass, northeast of Galveston, Texas.
    1903 Between 30,000 and 50,000 Bulgarian men, women and children are massacred in Monastir by Turkish troops seeking to check a threatened Macedonian uprising.
    1906 Robert Turner invents the automatic typewriter return carriage.
    1915 Germany begins a new offensive in Argonne on the Western Front.
    1921 Margaret Gorman of Washington, D.C., is named the first Miss America.
    1925 Germany is admitted into the League of Nations.
    1935 Senator Huey Long of Louisiana is shot to death in the state capitol, allegedly by Dr. Carl Austin Weiss, Jr.
    1944 Germany's V-2 offensive against England begins.
    1945 Korea is partitioned by the Soviet Union and the United States.
    1951 Japanese representatives sign a peace treaty in San Francisco.
    1955 The United States, Australia, France, Great Britain, New Zealand, the Philippines, Pakistan, and Thailand sign the mutual defense treaty that established the Southeast Asia Treaty Organization (SEATO).
    1960 Penguin Books in Britain is charged with obscenity for trying to publish the D.H. Lawrence novel Lady Chatterly's Lover.
    1960 President Eisenhower dedicates NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.
    1971 The Kennedy Center opens in Washington, DC with a performance of Leonard Bernstein's Mass.
    1972 Arab terrorists kill 11 Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympics.
    1974 President Gerald Ford pardons former President Richard M. Nixon for any crimes arising from the Watergate scandal he may have committed while in office.

Born on September 8
    1841 Antonin Dvorak, composer and violinist.
    1886 Siegfried Sassoon, British author and poet famous for his anti-war writing about World War I.
    1889 Robert A. Taft, U.S. Senator from Ohio who unsuccessfully sought the presidential nomination from the 1940s until 1952.
    1900 Claude Pepper, Democratic senator and congressman from Florida, champion of senior citizens rights.
    1922 Sid Caesar, comedian and television star, best known for "Your Show of Shows," and "The Sid Caesar Show."
    1925 Peter Sellers, English comic actor, famous for his role as Inspector Clouseau.
    1932 Patsy Cline, country singer ("Crazy", "I Fall to Pieces").
    1933 Michael Frayn, playwright (A Very Private Life, Noises Off).
    1947 Ann Beattie, writer (Chilly Scenes of Winter, Picturing Will).

http://www.historynet.com/today-in-history
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

1863 - At the Second Battle of Sabine Pass, Texas, a small Confederate force thwarted a Federal invasion of Texas.

1874 - In what is now Hemphill County, Lt. Frank and three scouts captured the "white Indian" known as Tehan. He later escaped from his captors.

1900 - Galveston, TX, was hit by a hurricane that killed at least 6,000 people. At least $30 million in damage was done.

1938 - Port Arthur and Orange County were connected by what became known as the "Rainbow Bridge." The bridge replaced the Dryden Ferry.

1990 - The Veteran's Memorial Bridge was dedicated. The bridge connected Port Arthur and Orange county and ran parellel to the Rainbow Bridge.

1999 - U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno named former U.S. Senator John Danforth to head an independent investigation into the 1993 fire at the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, TX.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Today in History

Arab terrorists kill
    I prefer to call that everyday history.
    Be Not Afraid.