Hybrid View

1. #1 Insight: GM's Volt - The ugly math of low sales, high costs 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Maybe the NextGen will do better...

By Bernie Woodall and Paul Lienert and Ben Klayman
    Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:24am EDT

(Reuters) - General Motors Co sold a
    record number of Chevrolet Volt sedans in August ó but that probably isn't a
    good thing for the automaker's bottom line.

Nearly two years after the introduction of the path-breaking plug-in hybrid,
    GM is still losing as much as $49,000 on each Volt it builds, according to
    estimates provided to Reuters by industry analysts and manufacturing
    experts.

Cheap Volt lease offers meant to drive more customers to Chevy showrooms this
    summer may have pushed that loss even higher. There are some Americans paying
    just $5,050 to drive around for two years in a vehicle that cost as much as
    $89,000 to produce.

And while the loss per vehicle will shrink as more are built and sold, GM is
    still years away from making money on the Volt, which will soon face new
    competitors from Ford, Honda and others.

Yep, I see Volts ALL OVER Sarasota...
    May the FORCE be with you!

It's hard to say, because it can be a valid business strategy to sell a product at a loss if it means gaining market share, or investing in infrastructure. For example, the more volts on the road means the more "charging stations" will start cropping up, which means more people will buy electric cars. *If* the infrastructure gets there, and Chevrolet makes the iPhone of electric cars (by having a technology, production, and distribution advantage), then it could work out for them.

And while the loss per vehicle will shrink as more are built and sold
    Like a hunter in a blind, they just have to be patient!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

They just said, two weeks ago?, that they are halting production on the Volt to focus on the 2014 Impala.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

If it was the pure electric commuter they originally claimed to be developing, had an actual price point between 25K and 30K, and got over 100 miles on a charge in average driving conditions, they would have been brilliantly successful. Unfortunately for them it fails massively on all three counts. If you want to go 100 miles on batteries, you'd better have three Volts, two tow bars, and 100 miles of dead flat road with no intersections on a nice spring or autumn day.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    If it was the pure electric commuter they originally claimed to be developing, had an actual price point between 25K and 30K, and got over 100 miles on a charge in average driving conditions, they would have been brilliantly successful. Unfortunately for them it fails massively on all three counts. If you want to go 100 miles on batteries, you'd better have three Volts, two tow bars, and 100 miles of dead flat road with no intersections on a nice spring or autumn day.
    My thing is that I don't understand how they have the technology to make the electric car, but don't make it where it recharges in motion. How hard would that be? I mean, you have two batteries. When one goes low it automatically switches over to the full one, and then while in motion, the low one would get charged. They could even have it where a gas powered motor is the generator to recharge the batteries.

Oh wait, that will make it where people would hardly have to buy gas again. We can't have that :roll eyes:

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _