Thread: Eve Online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Eve Online 
    I was reading this week that Chris Stevens, the ambassador who was murdered, was an online gamer who had been playing Eve Online for years. Has anyone here ever played the game? I have established an account (free for the first 2 weeks) and I'm going through the tutorials learn the ropes. It looks like a version of the old BBS game (showing my age here) called Trade Wars on steroids. If anybody is a player please let me know what you think.

I'm just recently started gaming, box the XBox 360 with Kinect, and I'm having a good time but I do have trouble finding the time to play. I have never played the modern online games so any advice that you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I have a Gameboy color, circa 1999. I play Tetris and Space Invaders on it to keep me from smoking as much as I used to.

I've been in and out of the game for the last couple years. It's a lot of fun, but very challenging, and unless you know someone personally in that game, you CANNOT trust them. Backstabbing and theft is how the game works. Do not expect honor amongst theives. Never store items that you cannot replace in stations that your corps have offices in, because they may be able to raid your stuff.

To be good, you have to devote time. Unlike other games where you can buy gear on auction houses and the like, you literally need to spend time learning the skills to make things work. I think I have roughly 6 months worth of game time, and that makes me a somewhat legitimate pilot. 6 months of skill training has made me competent at flying and fighting with certain ships. I know people who have 2 years worth of skill time and in certain company they'd be chumps.

From what I know of you Gator, I doubt there will be a whole lot you'd enjoy about the game. Like I mentioned at first, it thrives on being a dirtbag. Piracy is the quickest and easiest way to make money. Also the most thrilling. And the game developers encourage the behavior. Corporations and alliances have literally lost tens of thousands of dollars (real world money) due to corporate theivery and other shenanigans. Being a high sec miner can be entertaining for a short time, but it gets boring after a while, and you'll want to start expanding your operations, getting into low/null sec things, and that's when it gets ugly.

If you stick with it let me know. I can direct you to a corp that's got some decent folks in it. They are pirates, but I do know one of the guys who runs it personally and he's not the type who'd screw you over. Just other people.

Also, I've got a Xbox 360 and a PS3. Shoot me a PM if you want my handle, maybe we've got some mutual games.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    It looks like a version of the old BBS game (showing my age here) called Trade Wars on steroids.
    This is a very good analogy. I play EVE, but it's a hard game to play... in the sense, it plays you as much as you play it.

Are you on Steam by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    This is a very good analogy. I play EVE, but it's a hard game to play... in the sense, it plays you as much as you play it.

Are you on Steam by the way?
    What is Steam? (I guess that answers the question. )

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

What is Steam? (I guess that answers the question. )
    Do you PC game, or just on the xbox?

Do you PC game, or just on the xbox?
    I just got back in to gaming. Right now I am using Xbox but I'm doing Eve Online from my PC.

I have a very addictive personality so I have to monitor my game playing really closely. If I am not careful I'll be playing games 8 hours a day, everyday. That may not be much by some standards but between family, church, work and my other hobbies it would mess up the balance I currently have.

C. S. Lewis

I just got back in to gaming. Right now I am using Xbox but I'm doing Eve Online from my PC.

I have a very addictive personality so I have to monitor my game playing really closely. If I am not careful I'll be playing games 8 hours a day, everyday. That may not be much by some standards but between family, church, work and my other hobbies it would mess up the balance I currently have.
    check this out: http://store.steampowered.com/

(PC only tho atm)

check this out: http://store.steampowered.com/

(PC only tho atm)
    Nice site. Thank you!

C. S. Lewis

Maybe out of line but this game sounds similar to the end of Stevens' life. (according to djones520's description of it). Made me kind of sad..
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.