Thread: Eve Online

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Maybe out of line but this game sounds similar to the end of Stevens' life. (according to djones520's description of it). Made me kind of sad..
    I'm not sure what that is.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I've been in and out of the game for the last couple years. It's a lot of fun, but very challenging, and unless you know someone personally in that game, you CANNOT trust them. Backstabbing and theft is how the game works. Do not expect honor amongst theives. Never store items that you cannot replace in stations that your corps have offices in, because they may be able to raid your stuff.

To be good, you have to devote time. Unlike other games where you can buy gear on auction houses and the like, you literally need to spend time learning the skills to make things work. I think I have roughly 6 months worth of game time, and that makes me a somewhat legitimate pilot. 6 months of skill training has made me competent at flying and fighting with certain ships. I know people who have 2 years worth of skill time and in certain company they'd be chumps.

From what I know of you Gator, I doubt there will be a whole lot you'd enjoy about the game. Like I mentioned at first, it thrives on being a dirtbag. Piracy is the quickest and easiest way to make money. Also the most thrilling. And the game developers encourage the behavior. Corporations and alliances have literally lost tens of thousands of dollars (real world money) due to corporate theivery and other shenanigans. Being a high sec miner can be entertaining for a short time, but it gets boring after a while, and you'll want to start expanding your operations, getting into low/null sec things, and that's when it gets ugly.

If you stick with it let me know. I can direct you to a corp that's got some decent folks in it. They are pirates, but I do know one of the guys who runs it personally and he's not the type who'd screw you over. Just other people.

Also, I've got a Xbox 360 and a PS3. Shoot me a PM if you want my handle, maybe we've got some mutual games.
    It just seems that the [B] stuff applied to his job. He dedicated his life to the people there and look what he got in return. Life isn't fair though is it.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Nice site. Thank you!
    It's all I use for buying games.

Basically, it's digital distribution. You download the steam client, and get an account. Then buy games associated with the account (pretty much anything you could want is on steam these days) and then it goes into your purchased game library. Steam has all sorts of deals running (this week it's like 50% off a bunch of stuff). And you can download/install them on any machine through the steam client. Keeps track of all the updates for you. Some games you can put your saves on the cloud, so when you install on a new machine it keeps your saves.

Good Ole Games is another great website. Especially for some older games that you might be familiar with, for a pretty fair price.

www.gog.com
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I never understood the whole "gamer" phenomenon. Explain? Is it your alter ego in a parallel life?

A friend here at work plays. His wife hates it. He comes into work with obvious signs of no sleep. He's an addict.

Just like any other hobby or activity there are people who get to involved in it. A lot of video gaming I do involves games with indepth stories that will rival any novel out there, or games that provide social aspects. Multiplayer games that I get to play with all the friends I have scattered around the world. I can't hang out with them, so I might as well sit down for an evening playing some silly FPS and drinking a few beers while we bullshit and just have fun.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I never understood the whole "gamer" phenomenon. Explain? Is it your alter ego in a parallel life?

A friend here at work plays. His wife hates it. He comes into work with obvious signs of no sleep. He's an addict.
    I enjoy the competitive nature of games. I like games of strategy and RPGs but I also like some of the simple brain games like crossword puzzles and suduku.

I monitor the time that I spend with games because I don't want it to cut in on my real life activities.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I fired my account up last night, anyone still running around? I know a couple members were playing last year.