Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The movie that people are being murder over (not Dark Knight Rising) 
    This comes from one of the Anglican Blogs I frequent. I've include the all the text but I add a link at the bottom in cause any one wants to visit Stand Firm. Makes some excellent points on how Muslims respond to perceived insults compared to other faiths and how Islamic anger is handled verses other the anger Christians have when our beliefs are mocked.

Condemn the movie!

Seriously, those of you who are excusing acts of war, atrocities against non-combatants and other Muslim expressions of “hurt feelings over an anti-Muslim YouTube movie,” what is your policy response to this bit, which has been viewed by far more people, and is just a subatomic bit in a galaxy of media mockery of Christ and Christianity? (Warning: blasphemous & raunchy content)

As Sarah pointed out yesterday, the first Amendment, the American expression of Western free speech, allows for offensive stuff like this. We allow it, argue about it, use it as fodder for Stand Firm, whatever. Killing one another over it, or imposing laws to prevent it, or having the government call the folks who produced it are all out of bounds, no matter how much it denigrates the beliefs of others or “hurts feelings.”

If Christians suddenly burned down a TV station that carries Family Guy, killed some of the people working there and dragged their bodies through the streets for a photo op, should Family Guy be the target of government censure and public blame?

And if you disagree with my argument in the post, realize that it will hurt the feelings of the Stand Firm contributors. We will find you. And whatever we do to you and your loved ones will be your fault.

The story is here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

A couple of years ago, The Office did a bit where the boss dressed up as Jesus for Christmas. It was so offensive that I haven't watched that show ever again since. However I never thought to go crazy and protest on the streets. I just vote with my feet (or my viewership).
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

See what's going on in the Middle East? Christians don't react that way. This is why crap like the above is able to run with zero worry of reprisal. Bill Mahr makes a movie mocking Christianity and yet I don't remember hearing Obama calling for religious tolerance.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    See what's going on in the Middle East? Christians don't react that way. This is why crap like the above is able to run with zero worry of reprisal. Bill Mahr makes a movie mocking Christianity and yet I don't remember hearing Obama calling for religious tolerance.
    Bill Mahr knows that if he got on TV and said the things about Mohammed that he said about Sarah Palin that his head would be displayed on a plate on Al Jazeera televion. Its easy to mock a faith that believes in love your neighbor as yourself and love your enemies. Libs are in a whole new ball pack when the religion that they mock might take their lives in response.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Did you see the movie? He makes a lot of points about the insanity present in Islam. He does so on his show, also.

The problem that most Christians have is that he thinks all religions are equally wrong, because he is an atheist. He has differentiated between fundamentalist Christians protesting something they oppose to the violence of Muslims who do the same.

He's on HBO tonight-he'll probably make some comments about the riots in the ME and the killing of the diplomats in Libya, but he is a liberal and will also trash Romney in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Did you see the movie? He makes a lot of points about the insanity present in Islam. He does so on his show, also.

The problem that most Christians have is that he thinks all religions are equally wrong, because he is an atheist. He has differentiated between fundamentalist Christians protesting something they oppose to the violence of Muslims who do the same.

He's on HBO tonight-he'll probably make some comments about the riots in the ME and the killing of the diplomats in Libya, but he is a liberal and will also trash Romney in the process.
    I can guarantee you that he doesn't call Mohammed a c*unt.

C. S. Lewis

Years ago, the Miss World pageant was held in Nigeria, and a columnist made a comment to the effect that Mohammed would not have objected to the beauty contest, and might even have found himself a wife among the contestants (although more likely, he'd have objected, slaughtered the men at the event and divided up the women among himself as his followers, but I digress). Here is an article on it:

At least four die in Miss World riots

21/11/2002 - 19:28:05
    Four people were stabbed or burned to death in Nigeria during a second day of violent demonstrations over a newspaper article suggesting Islam’s founding prophet might have chosen a wife from among Miss World beauty contestants.

Protesters set fire to cars and churches, and set up makeshift barricades in the northern city of Kaduna. Witnesses and human rights officials said at least four people, and probably many more, were killed.

Shehu Sani, an official with the Kaduna-based Civil Rights Congress, said he saw one young man being stabbed at a major crossroads by men who then forced a tyre filled with petrol around his neck and burned him alive.

Sani said he saw three other bodies elsewhere in the city.

Alsa Hassan, the 43-year-old founder of another human rights group Alsa Care, witnessed a commuter being dragged out of his car and beaten to death by protesters. The victim had apparently tried unsuccessfully to drive through the mob.

Other witnesses gave similar reports.

State government officials declared a dusk to dawn curfew.

Schools and shops hurriedly closed as hordes of young men, shouting “Allah akhbar,” or “God be praised,” ignited makeshift street barricades made of tyres and rubbish, sending plumes of black smoke rising above the city.

Others were heard chanting, “Down with beauty” and ”Miss World is sin.”

Police and soldiers riding in pick-up trucks fired tear gas at other protesters marching through otherwise abandoned streets waving tree branches and palm fronds.

A local businessman, Lateef Mohammed, said he saw young men smashing the windows of two small churches in Badarawa, a predominantly Muslim area. Two other witnesses interviewed separately gave similar reports.

“I just rushed to get to my home. It was very tense,” Mohammed said, explaining how he had shouted “Allah akhbar” in fear of angering the demonstrators.

An off-duty army officer witnessed youths with red bandanas around their heads setting fire to a Catholic church in Tudun Wada, another heavily Muslim neighbourhood.

Protests were also reported in the heavily Muslim neighbourhoods of Rigasa and Kabala Doki, where witnesses said mobs smashed windows of a number of parked cars.

A Kaduna state government official, Ben Toro, declined to comment on the violence and vandalism, insisting that ”calm had returned to Kaduna after a small incident.”

Nigerian government officials regularly downplay violence as part of efforts to prevent retaliatory attacks.

Previous riots in Kaduna, a largely Muslim city with a sizeable Christian minority, have escalated into religious bloodletting killing hundreds since civilian government replaced military rule in 1999.

The latest demonstrations began on Wednesday with the burning down of an office of ThisDay newspaper in Kaduna.

No one was in the building during the attack and the paper’s staff were subsequently placed under police protection.

On Saturday, the newspaper published an article under the headline The World at Their Feet, which questioned the reasoning of Muslim groups that have condemned the Miss World pageant. The contest is being held on December 8 in the capital, Abuja.

“The Muslims thought it was immoral to bring 92 women to Nigeria and ask them to revel in vanity. What would (the prophet) Muhammad think? In all honesty, he would probably have chosen a wife from among them,” the article’s author, Isioma Daniel, wrote.

In the same issue, the paper published profiles and pictures of more than 60 Miss World hopefuls.

Muslim groups say the pageant promotes sexual promiscuity and indecency.

Kaduna state Governor Mohammed Makarfi called the article an ”act of unnecessary provocation.”

The Nigerian Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs, the country’s highest Muslim body, reacted by urging President Olusegun Obasanjo to cancel the pageant and sanction the newspaper.

On Monday, ThisDay ran a brief front page editor’s note apologising for sections considered offensive to Muslims, which it said had been mistakenly published after being removed by the supervising editor. The newspaper ran a second, more lengthy retraction today under the headline: "An apology to all Muslims."

The Miss World contest, which vies for global television audiences with Miss Universe, has been boycotted by participants from at least five countries because Islamic courts in Nigeria have sentenced several unmarried women have to death by stoning for conceiving babies outside wedlock.

The boycotting nations are Costa Rica, Denmark, Switzerland, South Africa and Panama.

Nigeria’s government insists none of the judgements will ever be carried out. However, the government has so far refused to intervene directly in the Islamic court system adopted by a dozen predominantly northern states.

Note that the timing was one year after 9/11. Also note that the trigger for the rioting was an innocuous comment about Mohammed's possible approval of the contest. At the time, I thought that it was odd that anyone would commit murder over something this trivial, but since then, we've seen Muslims go berserk over cartoons, soft-serve ice cream (the swirl vaguely resembled the Arabic script for Allah), patterns on clothing and pretty much anything that they could foment rage over. The issue isn't the movie, the cartoon, the ice cream or the comment by the columnist, it's the insane, seething rage that permeates a 7th century death cult, and which is easily tapped by those seeking to restore it to prominence. Christians didn't riot over crucifixs in urine, or dung-spattered portraits of Mary. Jews didn't riot over the vicious antisemitic depictions of Jews in Muslim media. Hindus don't demand the closure of every Burger King in America. Buddhists don't seem to really care if the rest of us reach enlightenment. Only Islam demands the submission of others to its insanity.

Enough.

We have nothing to apologize for.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    We have nothing to apologize for.
    Tell that to the fuckbag in the White House.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

I saw the youtube click they they are saying is the cause. It was so stupid, I couldn't watch the whole thing. The audacity of the WH, Hillary and Obama to try to claim that this youtube clip that was released MONTHS ago, is the reason these muslims decided to protest on 9/11/12 is insulting to the american people.

If ANYONE wants to be a repulsed by a video, look at the Daniel Pearl beheading video if you can stomach it. I saw it years ago and I cried. They made him "confess" that he was a JEW, and for that reason alone, he was killed in the most ruthless way possible. If you don't understand the threat, find the video and have the COURAGE to watch it.