Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Has anyone else heard of this claim: Native Americans had gay marriage? 
    I saw a photo on Facebook today showing a Native American woman with text above her talking about how gay marriage is nothing new and that the Native Americans all across the land had it "since marriage was invented." Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me. I suspect it's either a big, fat lie or if it's based on anything real, I'm sure it's something ripped completely out of context. Native Americans today tend to cling to their ancient traditions and I have NEVER heard of gay marriages among them before now. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Just glancing over a google search it seems that a tribe legalized gay marriage in 2011, whether it was the first or not I don't know but 2011 isn't exactly an ancient tribal thing.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Just glancing over a google search it seems that a tribe legalized gay marriage in 2011, whether it was the first or not I don't know but 2011 isn't exactly an ancient tribal thing.
    When precisely did the US government or Anglo population begin caring about the legalities of Indian marriages? Hell, some of my ancestors were Quakers and the government of Virginia Colony not only didn't recognize their marriages, it charged them with fornication.

Legalization of same sex marriage in modern times as faux-sovereign nations under the thumb of the federal government is hardly a measure of the age or history of Indian practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Well, one way to help destroy their people is to allow gays to marry, that'll surely stop anymore full bloods from being born. Rather funny how you hear them speaking about "Our people, they are dying out", well maybe it's because the sexes that should be marrying each other aren't lol

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbins View Post
    Well, one way to help destroy their people is to allow gays to marry, that'll surely stop anymore full bloods from being born. Rather funny how you hear them speaking about "Our people, they are dying out", well maybe it's because the sexes that should be marrying each other aren't lol
    Legalization of same sex marriage will have no effect on reproduction of heterosexual Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Legalization of same sex marriage will have no effect on reproduction of heterosexual Indians.
    Maybe not, but what effect will it have on the free speech of those Native Americans who believe it to be socially and morally wrong? Judging by what's been happening in states that have enacted gay "marriage" by judicial fiat, those Native Americans will have their free speech rights violated and stripped away at will.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    Maybe not, but what effect will it have on the free speech of those Native Americans who believe it to be socially and morally wrong? Judging by what's been happening in states that have enacted gay "marriage" by judicial fiat, those Native Americans will have their free speech rights violated and stripped away at will.
    As far as I know, I can walk down the streets of Richmond declaring miscegenation to be "socially and morally wrong" to all who will listen, and there isn't a thing that the law or the offended can legally do about it.

What are you talking about (specifically)?

Wouldn't you think that each Indian tribe had its own rules? Pretending that "The Indians" did this thing or that thing is a little broad for me. I would guess the Indians in Arizona did things one way, the Indians in New England another.

But the is this:
    If one woman committed sin with another they died strangled in the some way[as those brothers who committed incest with their sisters].
    Doesn't seem like this condones gay marriage to me.

And this:
    it was the law that those who committed the nefarious sin should die. The Indians of New Spain kept this law, without missing one point, and they executed it with great severity; they had the some penalty with the woman who laid down with another, because it was also against nature.
    http://http://www.outhistory.org/wik...cans_1528-1976

Seems to me life was not worth much as an Indian. But that was long ago, and being gay was a death sentence in lots of places. Still is, in some.

This isn't new. I saw the Village People and have suspected for many years that Indians had gays among their numbers.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    As far as I know, I can walk down the streets of Richmond declaring miscegenation to be "socially and morally wrong" to all who will listen, and there isn't a thing that the law or the offended can legally do about it.
    What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

What are you talking about (specifically)?
    Incidents that the lame-stream media is reluctant to bring attention to, so it's not surprising you wouldn't know about it.