Thread: Mayan calendar to expire in under 100 days

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Spend spend spend, party party!!!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I put no stock in the whole damn' thing. If the Mayans were so frickin' smart, how come they aren't running shit now? And the article is correct, most of the Mayans did not believe it meant any such thing as an end of time or an apocalypse, they thought it meant just a new era, to be kicked off with a legendary celebration and probably a lot of sacrifices (They were pikers on that compared to the later Aztecs and some other tribes, though). It was a splinter cult that thought it spelled Doom, and that's what all the modern hype-merchants have seized upon.

I do like that poster, zeus, but in reality the Mayan civilization collapsed long before the Spanish showed up, they were just isolated Stone Age palm-hut villagers by the time the Conquistadors appeared on the Central American scene.

All this is is the equivalent of your vehicle's odometer going from 099999.9 to 100000.0. In 4772 A.D, it will be the equivalent of an odometer going from 999999.9 back to 000000.0. The calendar makers saw absolutely nothing profound or supernatural about the event. For them, it would be like our celebrating when the calendar went from Dec. 31, 1999, to Jan. 1, 2000. If they were still around today, they'd be laughing at all these goobers using their calendar to predict some massive, supernatural upheaval or doomsday of some sort.

Okay, truth is they found out the calender maker was gay and tossed him into the volcano, they should have known when he didn't use any girl pictures in the calender and his cave was decorated much to tastefully.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

It was a fabulous calender!

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    I put no stock in the whole damn' thing. If the Mayans were so frickin' smart, how come they aren't running shit now? And the article is correct, most of the Mayans did not believe it meant any such thing as an end of time or an apocalypse, they thought it meant just a new era, to be kicked off with a legendary celebration and probably a lot of sacrifices (They were pikers on that compared to the later Aztecs and some other tribes, though). It was a splinter cult that thought it spelled Doom, and that's what all the modern hype-merchants have seized upon.

I do like that poster, zeus, but in reality the Mayan civilization collapsed long before the Spanish showed up, they were just isolated Stone Age palm-hut villagers by the time the Conquistadors appeared on the Central American scene.

I watched a show on one of the "educational" channels, maybe NGEO, where they explained what "may" have happened to the Mayans. They claimed a severe drought would have wiped out their civilization. They had reserviors and such, but if those had been used up and there was no rain for months, the people would have abandoned the cities and many would have just died off. They were checking marks in tree stumps against European records of the weather from that time.

My dad has an actual stone Mayan calendar that some Rotary people from Mexico gave him. It's not an antique, it's a modern copy, the kind made for people to give to those who host them in their travels. We had it on the mantel over the fireplace when I was a teenager. It's kind of ugly-my mom liked the pottery they gave us much better.