Thread: I cried at church today

Hybrid View

1. #1 I cried at church today 
    dsc (37,144 posts)

I cried at church today

At church today we had a sermon I had been looking forward too about King David's love life. It was a great sermon centered on the scene in the Bible where Saul loses it with Jonathan over his covenant with David. After the sermon we have a prayer where people in the congregation state their concerns and blessings at a microphone. This older lesbian took the microphone and started telling the story of a 20 year old cousin. The cousin had reached out to her because she wanted advice on living her life openly. She then told her parents she was gay and was rejected, just as the older woman had decades ago, and took an overdose of pills and is now in a coma. The lady who told the story is banned from seeing the younger woman. What I had hoped would be a coming out story turned into a horribly sad story of attempted suicide brought on by religiously inspired hatred. So I cried at church today.

I also thought of this thread I posted last night.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021352109

In the thread I posit the notion that Ambassador Stevens might be gay and all hell broke loose. I was accused of defaming him with gayness compared to alcoholism and cheating on women. Now in the case Stevens we have an unmarried male who has not been associated with any woman romantically. If he were gay he would have not been harming any woman via lying or living a sham marriage. He wouldn't have been having affairs behind people's back. In short he would have been a pretty typical gay male living his life. Yet merely stating that this hero might be gay was considered defamation like calling him a two timer.

If a liberal website considers gayness akin to drunkeness or being a sleezy operator why wouldn't we expect conservative pentacostals to reject their children?

So yes I cried at church today.
    http://upload.democraticunderground.com/10021356102

Vinnie From Indy (8,225 posts)

2. What motivated you to offer that Stevens might be gay?

Do you run everyone through your gay/not gay matrix and offer your verdict to the public?

No, the dummy looks at people and decides if they're gay or not and then proceeds to indoctrinate that person using self-conscious feelings and insecurities. Sooner or later, that person then believes they are indeed homosexual and the "natural" homosexual is born.

Power CUer
    It's a default setting for some people, for some reason. Last week on a Free Republic thread someone sent condolences to Stevens' "wife and children". Someone else said he was not married - and the whole thread was off and running, speculating on his sexuality. WTF, people?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    It's a default setting for some people, for some reason. Last week on a Free Republic thread someone sent condolences to Stevens' "wife and children". Someone else said he was not married - and the whole thread was off and running, speculating on his sexuality. WTF, people?

Projection?

This has to be a bouncy tale of fiction. A DUmmy going to church without bursting into flames or struck down by lightning by just stepping on holy ground?
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

It never occurs to the DUmmy that Stevens may have chosen to remain single because of his job. A pretty selfless thing to do.

religiously inspired hatred
    You say tomayto I say tomahto. The Bible inspires religious hatred? It tells us to hate the sin and yes your precious homosexuality is a sin. Some families take that seriously and the gay person becomes an outcast. It's a hard reality. What kind of church are you in that you don't know it says that God comes first, that Christ would cause mothers and daughters and father and sons etc to hate one another, because the offense of the gospel is a very real thing.

God is first, before your family or your job or your anything.

DUmmies in church, what a thing.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    This has to be a bouncy tale of fiction. A DUmmy going to church without bursting into flames or struck down by lightning by just stepping on holy ground?

I know. There was another topic about something at church, by a Catholic DUer, who is leaving the church over it, allegedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    It was probably the Liberal Church of the Touchy-Feely where whatever you believe is the truth and there is no ultimate truth.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I saw that one yesterday also but I can only take so much of "Teh Stupid" every day.
    May the FORCE be with you!