Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Power CUer
    That's just an actuarial luck of the draw. My father may be 91, but he's the first man in his family to live past his 60s, since drugs for hypertension were not available earlier (the women in my family don't get heart attacks, they GIVE them. ;) ) His father paid into SS from its inception in 1935 until his death in 1958 - at 63, two years BEFORE retirement age - so it evens out.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    He puts his foot in his mouth when he says that everyone receiving "entitlements" has a "victim" mentality - like my slacker of a father, 91 years old, who fought in World War II, had a successful career until his retirement - but who now receives Social Security and pays taxes on capital gains rather than income. (Hmmm, sounds familiar, somehow....) And who thinks voting for Romney would be like voting for Thurston Howell III. It doesn't help that Romney is ACTING like Thurston Howell III.
    *sigh*

The tired old "evil conservatives want to take Social Security away from old people" canard? Really? You couldn't come up with something more original than that? Good grief.

I defy you to point to the conservative out there who thinks that your father is getting an "entitlement" from Social Security into which he paid (I'm assuming) for forty-odd years. Plenty of conservatives (pretty much all of them, actually) recognize that Social Security is a Ponzi scheme, but that does not mean that they want to dump your father into the gutter, no matter how desperately you need some bogeyman.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    For what it's worth, the mainstream media is now calling him "Thurston Howell III".
    Remember, everyone: there's no media bias!
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Just a pet peeve but wouldn't Romney be Thurston Howell IV?

People are living a LOT longer than they were when SS's inception and we've made little effort to fix the funding accordingly.

Romney didn't say anything false.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Wow telling the truth is considered putting ones foot in ones mouth?

No...and even Romney has come out and said he could have framed it better. My point is he can't afford these constant mistakes. If oBAMA said this the press would have ignored it or maybe mentioned it a little since FOX would have jumped on it.

With Romney it's just more free ammo for the Dems and it will distract from other issues like the Muzzies which oBAMA wants forgotten ASAP.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    For what it's worth, the mainstream media is now calling him "Thurston Howell III".
    Given that Thurston Howell III was married for years to the only woman he ever loved and deep down underneath his capitalist pigdog exterior had a heart of gold that truly cared for people, they might want to rethink that comparison if their goal is to smear Romney.

Power CUer
    I'm not sure Ann Romney would consider being compared to "Lovey" a compliment. SR is right - Romney can't keep coming off the way he is and expect to win. Does Obama objectively deserve a second term? No, he does not. So why hand him one, gift wrapped?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    *sigh*

The tired old "evil conservatives want to take Social Security away from old people" canard? Really? You couldn't come up with something more original than that? Good grief.
    I am sorry, if not at all surprised, that you missed my point. I'm not worried in the slightest about Dad losing Social Security. The point was that there are a lot of people like him that Romney has characterized as "entitled to a handout", "victims", "not willing to take personal responsibility for their lives." Great message.

He puts his foot in his mouth when he says that everyone receiving "entitlements" has a "victim" mentality - like my slacker of a father, 91 years old, who fought in World War II, had a successful career until his retirement - but who now receives Social Security and pays taxes on capital gains rather than income. (Hmmm, sounds familiar, somehow....) And who thinks voting for Romney would be like voting for Thurston Howell III. It doesn't help that Romney is ACTING like Thurston Howell III.
    I don't think that is what he meant at all. I perceived his comment as aimed at those who have opted to make government assistance a cradle to grave form of subsistence. I don't think that he was talking about your 91 year old father any more than he was talking about my recently deceased 88 year old dad.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I am sorry, if not at all surprised, that you missed my point. I'm not worried in the slightest about Dad losing Social Security. The point was that there are a lot of people like him that Romney has characterized as "entitled to a handout", "victims", "not willing to take personal responsibility for their lives." Great message.
    What his said is true. There are a lot of peopleout there who will not take personal responsibility for their lives. I work directly with some charities that help those in need and we see both those who need it to get by and those who use it to avoid getting a job and doing something useful. In fact their 'victim' mentality has led them to make getting free assistance their job and they are pretty adept at milking the system.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Bullshit. He said no such thing. You cannot provide a quote to back up this absurd claim.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.