Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 French Mag to Publish Cartoons of Prophet Mohammed 
    A French satirical magazine is set to publish several cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed on Wednesday, a move that is likely to inflame the Islamic faithful and militants who have already rioted in more than 20 countries over a movie mocking the prophet.

Depictions of the prophet are strictly prohibited and considered blasphemous by Muslims. Cartoons of Muhammad published in Denmark in 2005 and then reproduced in newspapers across Europe triggered riots throughout the Mideast and Africa. Churches and embassies were torched and at least 100 people died in the outbreaks and police crackdowns.

The magazine “Charlie Hebdo” has confirmed that it will publish the cartoons, but has not revealed what they will depict. French newspaper “Le Monde” reports that some of the cartoons show the prophet in “particularly explicit poses,” without providing any further detail.

The move comes as Muslims are still simmering after riots in Egypt, Libya, Tunisia and nearly 20 other countries over the move “Innocence of Muslims.” U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans died during an attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

French government ministers have criticized the magazine’s decision and police in Paris have stepped up security around its offices.

France is home to Europe’s largest Muslim population, and the senior cleric at Paris’ biggest mosque has appealed for followers to remain calm, according to the French news agency AFP.

The magazine has defended the move by invoking the right to free speech. Speaking on French radio, the magazine’s director explained that a decision not to publish would “hand victory to a handful of extremists that are causing a commotion in the world and in France.”

It’s not the first time the anti-establishment, left-wing magazine has courted controversy. In 2011 the offices of “Charlie Hedbo” were bombed after it published an Arab Spring edition with the Prophet Muhammad as “guest editor” on the cover.
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...phet-mohammed/
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I'm glad they have the guts to publish it. Won't be glad if people die over it. I want to see how the mooslimbs react to this. Hope security personnel has real bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I'm glad they have the guts to publish it. Won't be glad if people die over it. I want to see how the mooslimbs react to this. Hope security personnel has real bullets.
    Every newspaper in the world should post these at the same time.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Don't have a qualm if the rioters are the only people who get hurt/die from it, its the poor bastard who is trying to keep the peace that I'm worried about
    Last edited by Bailey; 09-19-2012 at 05:37 AM.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Don't have a qualm if the rioters are the only people who get hurt/die from it, its the poor bastard who is trying to keep the peace that I'm worried about
    Not to mention American military personnel who are currently deployed to Islamic nations.

If I lived in France I'd be making sure my car and home insurance covers fire damage before the magazine is put on the news stand.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Not to mention American military personnel who are currently deployed to Islamic nations.
    I am alright if they engage the rioters if they are allowed to shoot them. Some how I think they wont get hurt if they shoot back.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

The Update

PARIS (Reuters) - A French magazine ridiculed the Prophet Mohammad on Wednesday by portraying him naked in cartoons, threatening to fuel the anger of Muslims around the world who are already incensed by a video depicting him as a lecherous fool.

The drawings in the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo risked exacerbating a crisis that has seen the storming of U.S. and other Western embassies, the killing of the U.S. ambassador to Libya and a deadly suicide bombing in Afghanistan.

Riot police were deployed to protect the paper's Paris offices after it hit news stands.

It featured several caricatures of the Prophet showing him naked in what the publishers said was an attempt to poke fun at the furor over the film. One, entitled "Mohammad: a star is born", depicted a bearded figure crouching over to display his buttocks and genitals.

The French government, which had urged the weekly not to print the cartoons, said it was shutting embassies and schools in 20 countries as a precaution on Friday, when protests sometimes break out after Muslim prayers.

Arab League Secretary-General Nabil Elaraby called the drawings outrageous but said those who were offended by them should "use peaceful means to express their firm rejection".

Tunisia's ruling Islamist party, Ennahda, condemned what it called an act of "aggression" against Mohammad but urged Muslims not to fall into a trap intended to "derail the Arab Spring and turn it into a conflict with the West".

In the northern Paris suburb of Sarcelles, one person was slightly hurt when two masked men threw a small explosive device through the window of a kosher supermarket. Police said it was too early to link the incident to the cartoons. One small local Muslim group filed a legal complaint against the weekly but there were no reports of reaction on the streets of France....
    More at: http://news.yahoo.com/french-weekly-...075449808.html

From The BBC:

19 September 2012 Last updated at 11:45 ET Help

France says it will temporarily close its embassies and schools in 20 countries after a satirical magazine published cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, a move it fears could further inflame tensions after Friday prayers.

The images feature in the French weekly Charlie Hebdo. The last time it published similar cartoons, its Paris offices were firebombed.

The French government is calling for restraint and has condemned the magazine for publishing the cartoons.

Some video:

The French close embassies in 20 Muslim countries on Friday:

The editor makes some good points about halfway through this Telegraph report:

Maybe Linda Numbers can translate this for us:

"100 lashes if you are not dying of laughter"

Some others of the cartoons: