Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1 The Hunger Games 
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,908
    I put this here instead of the Lounge because this movie has a lot of allegory pertaining some pretty good social commentary. The problem is, a lot will be lost on most of those who this movie is geared toward. I'm still in the middle of watching this but so far, this is liberalism 101. Not to spoil too much but so far society is right out of Soviet Russia and Communist China. You have the prols in the outer districts, the "working class" if you will. Sort of like the prols in 1984. Then you have the Capitol region where the upper crust live. It's like Hollywood on steroids. Anyone who thinks the upper echelon in this movie are GOP types kidding themselves. This is a liberal utopia if there ever was one. Good movie so far. I recommend it.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 09-19-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Janice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    2,809
    Yes, I thought it was good too. Better than I thought it might be.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    I read the book to make sure it was OK for my daughter. I really didn't get anything modern from it (other than technology). It seemed more like a retelling of the Roman Empire to me; a totalitarian state using gladiatorial games to both oppress and pacify through brutal entertainment. If there is a contemporary critique, I would say it is alluding to a bovine culture that is vapid. So-called reality TV being one of our major cultural draws.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,269
    I liked Hunger Games, but I don't read anything into it. Just entertainment.

    One of the reasons we saw it was Jennifer Lawrence (Katness). She starred in a rather obscure film called Winter's Bone. Winter's Bone was raw the way Hunger Games is, but is set in the Ozark Mountains, 20th century.

    Jennifer Lawrence may have a tremendous career ahead of her. I hope so.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I read the book to make sure it was OK for my daughter.
    Not sure if any story about children killing other children would be okay.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    Not sure if any story about children killing other children would be okay.
    The target market are teens. It's along the lines of Vampire Diaries and Twilight. But AD is partially right in that it is a modern retelling of the Roman Empire. Some of the characters have Roman names like Caesar, Flavius, and Octavia. But IMO the social construct is what the elitist liberal wants. They harp about the 1%, well in a society like this, there would be the 1/2% and the 99 1/2% we trogs being in the 99 1/2%.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,457
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    The target market are teens. It's along the lines of Vampire Diaries and Twilight. But AD is partially right in that it is a modern retelling of the Roman Empire. Some of the characters have Roman names like Caesar, Flavius, and Octavia. But IMO the social construct is what the elitist liberal wants. They harp about the 1%, well in a society like this, there would be the 1/2% and the 99 1/2% we trogs being in the 99 1/2%.

    My 12 year old niece really is into The Hunger Games trilogy. She has read all those stupid twighlight books, and I think these are the first books for teens and preteens that she has read in a long time that don't speak down to her. She's a 6th grader who reads at a college freshman level, so challenging her without exposing her to literature she's not emotionally ready for is very difficult.


    I haven't read the books, but I will rent the movie at some point in the next few weeks.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tiny Redneck town in Texas
    Posts
    2,054
    It was an ok movie but I fail to see how it was/is a blockbuster movie. To each his own I guess, good on them.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

    It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My 12 year old niece really is into The Hunger Games trilogy. She has read all those stupid twighlight books, and I think these are the first books for teens and preteens that she has read in a long time that don't speak down to her. She's a 6th grader who reads at a college freshman level, so challenging her without exposing her to literature she's not emotionally ready for is very difficult.


    I haven't read the books, but I will rent the movie at some point in the next few weeks.

    Pfft, how about going into 1st grade not knowing how to read, and then coming out as a 5-6th grade reader /flex :P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbins View Post
    Pfft, how about going into 1st grade not knowing how to read, and then coming out as a 5-6th grade reader /flex :P

    Pretty impressive. The teacher should be a professor, teaching future educators his or her methods.


    I could read before I started kindergarten. It's not that difficult to teach 3-5 year olds to read, it's just a matter of taking the time to read to them on a daily basis and teach them letters and words. I tell the parents I work with to use Dr. Suess books-the rhymes and silliness are perfect for pre schoolers.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •