Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ambassador Susan Rice: Libya Attack Not Premeditated 
    U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice said the attack on the American consulate in Benghazi last week was not premeditated, directly contradicting top Libyan officials who say the attack was planned in advance.

“Our current best assessment, based on the information that we have at present, is that, in fact, what this began as, it was a spontaneous – not a premeditated – response to what had transpired in Cairo,” Rice told me this morning on “This Week.”

“In Cairo, as you know, a few hours earlier, there was a violent protest that was undertaken in reaction to this very offensive video that was disseminated,” Rice said, referring to protests in Egypt Tuesday over a film that depicts the Prophet Muhammad as a fraud. Protesters in Cairo breached the walls of the U.S. Embassy, tearing apart an American flag.

“We believe that folks in Benghazi, a small number of people came to the embassy to – or to the consulate, rather, to replicate the sort of challenge that was posed in Cairo,” Rice said. “And then as that unfolded, it seems to have been hijacked, let us say, by some individual clusters of extremists who came with heavier weapons… And it then evolved from there.”

Ambassador Christopher Stevens, along with three other Americans, were killed in Libya following the assault on the American consulate in Benghazi, on the 11th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks. Rice said the FBI is examining the attack, saying their investigation “will tell us with certainty what transpired.”

Rice’s account directly contradicts that of Libyan President Mohamed Yousef El-Magariaf, who said this weekend that he had “no doubt” the attack was pre-planned by individuals from outside Libya.

“It was planned, definitely, it was planned by foreigners, by people who entered the country a few months ago, and they were planning this criminal act since their arrival,” Magariaf told CBS News.

Unlike other embassies around the world, Rice said there were no Marines present last week to protect the consulate in Benghazi, or the main U.S. embassy in Tripoli, saying the U.S. presence there is “relatively new” since the revolution that overthrew former dictator Moammar Gadhafi.

“There are not Marines in every facility. That depends on the circumstances. That depends on the requirements,” Rice said. “Our presence in Tripoli, as in Benghazi, is relatively new, as you will recall. We’ve been back post-revolution only for a matter of months.”

But Rice said there was a “substantial security presence” at the consulate in Benghazi, noting that two of the four Americans killed there were providing security.

“We certainly are aware that Libya is a place where there have been increasingly some violent incidents,” Rice said. “The security personnel that the State Department thought were required were in place… It obviously didn’t prove sufficient to the – the nature of the attack and sufficient in that – in that moment.”

“But the president has been very clear. The protection of American personnel and facilities is and will remain our top priority,” Rice added. “That’s why we’ve reinforced our presence in Tripoli and elsewhere.”

View the full interview here:
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...-premeditated/

SuzyQ we are not all complete fucking idiots except for those that voted for your lord and master Obama, you aren't fooling anyone and as for those who do believe you they would be in the tank for the Obama administration no matter what you announced.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I saw the interview she did with Chris Wallace. "Based on the information we have at present" covers a lot of possibilities, in diplomat-speak. The FBI just started their investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I saw the interview she did with Chris Wallace. "Based on the information we have at present" covers a lot of possibilities, in diplomat-speak. The FBI just started their investigation.
    It's an attempt to throw water on a fire that allows for the later claim that "we didn't realize it was gasoline".
    Last edited by FlaGator; 09-17-2012 at 11:02 AM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I call BS. Plain and simple.

I hope President Romney takes the US embassy's out of the middle east (except Israel), and stops all aid to those terrorist countries.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

Power CUer
    It is possible that the American Embassy in Libya was caught flat-footed here. It would be interesting to look at social media and see how quickly the information on the Cairo demonstration was spread.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    It's an attempt to throw water on a fire that allows for the later claim that "we didn't realize it was gasoline".

I don't have a problem with diplomats avoiding speculating on such things before the investigation is complete.

We, the people, can be pains in the butt with our need for immediate answers to questions that might not have answers yet. Rice could come up with some mollifying bs, or she can say simply "we have not seen that yet".

I don't have a problem with diplomats avoiding speculating on such things before the investigation is complete.

We, the people, can be pains in the butt with our need for immediate answers to questions that might not have answers yet. Rice could come up with some mollifying bs, or she can say simply "we have not seen that yet".
    I don't believe that the diplomat is speculating. I believe that she was given a position to take by the administration that contradicts what an evaluation that sources investigating the situation support. She is trying to support the position that was made by Carney that the riots where caused by the youtube film and had nothing to do with Obama's middle eastern policy.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    No disaster is complete without an Alex Jones conspiracy theory!

October Surprise to Carterize Obama
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZiym...ayer_embedded#!

The Netanyahu Likud
    During the past week, the reactionary Israeli Prime Minister has intervened blatantly and outrageously in US election-year politics in the attempt to secure the election of Mitt Romney, with whom he has been joined at the hip since the two worked together at the Boston Consulting Group in 1976.

About a week ago, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced that the United States has no "red lines" in regard to the Iranian nuclear program. Netanyahu replied with an angry outburst, raving that those who have no red lines have "no moral right" to give Israel a red light when it comes to starting a catastrophic aggressive war against Iran. This was interpreted in Washington as a call to vote for Romney. To underline the message, the deputy speaker of the Israeli Knesset appeared on MSNBC cable news one morning to demand immediate US war with Iran. Republican candidates are using this material for their campaigns.

Some observers have pointed out that, while Netanyahu demands that the US specify some future set of circumstances under which war must begin, the Israeli government has never specified any red lines of its own, meaning that Bibi wants Washington to be more Israeli than the Israelis. These brazen actions by Netanyahu have evoked a wave of American resentment and hostility, even in circles which are usually prepared to go along with the Israelis.

Some have also speculated that, since Romney has shown repeatedly that he has no knowledge of world affairs, Netanyahu believes that he would be able to dictate US foreign policy through his friendship with Romney. During the Republican presidential debates, Romney promised to get Netanyahu's approval for every US action in the Middle East.
    http://www.infowars.com/october-surp...rterize-obama/
    http://tarpley.net/

That would be a good point, if what she took for her position wasn't totally contrary to all evidence known up to that point and if it had any evidence of its own to support it. Apparently Libyan survivors say there wasn't any demonstration or riot first.

She is either too witless or too dishonest to be in her present position, the only problem is deciding which.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    That would be a good point, if what she took for her position wasn't totally contrary to all evidence known up to that point and if it had any evidence of its own to support it. Apparently Libyan survivors say there wasn't any demonstration or riot first.

She is either too witless or too dishonest to be in her present position, the only problem is deciding which.
    The administration has done a lot of whistling past graveyards and the media is walking right beside them.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.