Hybrid View

1. #1 DU on Elizabeth Warren: Being from Okla. = "good chance" of being Native American 
    Epic fail.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021387798

LynneSin (87,978 posts)

View profile
    Someone explain to me what the big deal is about Elizabeth Warren and her native american heritage
    I mean I'm missing something here and I saw Scott Brown's opening remarks. Hell he might as well wished he were Latino, sprayed his face orange and asked for Obama's birth certificate after that opening remark.

Here's what I know.

Warren was born in Oklahoma so there is a good chance that somewhere in her family tree is Native American.
    Yes, they really think this way, folks.

I've also had genetics,
    Well, whoop-dee-fricking-doo.

and I know that after a few generations you could see Native American features less prominent if any at all. I've met others who have said they have Native American history and look as pasty white as me. Doesn't mean they are faking something.
    That's true. Being pasty white doesn't necessarily mean someone doesn't have Native American blood in them. Of course, Warren's skin color is not what people are focusing on regarding her claim.

Power CUer
    Actually, there is a good chance that many people from Oklahoma have some Indian blood and that it was considered important. If you remember the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Oklahoma, it actually came from a play called "Green Grow the Lilacs" by Lynn Riggs. In the play, the cowboys (like Curley) were totally white, but the farmers were mixed race--Indian and white. You don't see this in the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, where everyone is white. Riggs was a mix of Indian and white himself and was writing about the people he knew well. At the end of "Green Grow the Lilacs", when Curley is about to be arrested by the Feds for killing the Judd character, the locals legitimize themselves by their Indian blood.

Now, I can't speak to Elizabeth Warren. I don't know about her background. But, I know folks from that part of the world who are 1/8th Indian and have some pride in it. The tribes, of course, have different measures for what counts, and I'm not sure what those measures are.

Her Family Tree has been gone over, by professionals... She LIED, end of story.
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Her Family Tree has been gone over, by professionals... She LIED, end of story.
    Didn't she claim to be 1/64 cherokee? even if that were true how can you call yourself an Indian? lol
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Didn't she claim to be 1/64 cherokee? even if that were true how can you call yourself an Indian? lol
    A tribe won't even look at you with with little of heritage in you. She is as much an indian as I am an eskimo. And the fact that people believe her shows just how stupid they are.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

I'm a member of one of the ancient tribes of Israel (my native name is "SoSiouxMe" ). Does that mean that I can jump the line for admissions to Harvard? Here's my proof:

Seriously, though, Warren's false claims of minority status constitute fraud. Fauxcahontas used her fake heritage to scam Harvard and advance herself as an affirmative action hire, pushing herself ahead of those whose only recommendation was merit. This is despicable, and criminal. Anyone who was passed over for selection or promotion because of Sitting Bulls***'s fake minority status has grounds for a lawsuit against Harvard for discrimination.

This is the line that Brown should be using in his campaign ads.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

In Michigan, and I assume in other states because it's part of the treaties with the various tribes, CPS workers are required to ask all families whether they have native american heritage. Even as a foster care worker, I've had training that addressed it to some degree, but CPS is where I get my cases from and they need to ask before filing any court petitions to remove children. They told us never to rule out african-americans or blondes.

The tribes do have higher standards than it takes to say "I have native american heritage". We request rulings on children, and unless a parent/grandparent is a tribal member, they pretty much reject jurisdiction. If they do claim jurisdiction, the Indian Affairs agency takes over the case, as does the tribal court.

I'm pretty sure I don't have any native american heritage, but you never know. One of my dad's ancestors (great grandfather?) was a scout for the Hudson Bay company, and was of French-Canadian backround. Those guys got around.