1. #1 New York City Schools Offering Morning-After Pills to Students as Young as 14 Without 
    Link
    New York City Schools Offering Morning-After Pills to Students as Young as 14 Without Parental Permission
    A controversial new program in the New York City public school system is giving girls as young as 14 years old access to the morning-after pill without their parents’ permission.

WNYW reporter Kerry Drew tells us that over half of the city’s high school students are sexually active by the time they finish high school. Health Department officials are hoping that this pilot program, called ‘Catch,’ will help to fight teen pregnancy. It initially launched in January 2011 and has since expanded to 13 high schools across New York City.

Parents are given the option to have their child opt out of the program, but according to the Health Department few have done so.

A Health Department spokesperson said of the program, “We are committed to trying new approaches, like this pilot program in place since January 2011, to improve a situation that can have lifelong consequences.”
    Links and video at the link.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

I have a problem with the morning after pill being an OTC drug to begin with. It's something that a woman should see a doctor before using. There are all kinds of bad side effects. The health center at WMU used to prescribe it to female students who had unprotected sex. The girls would be sick for at least 2-3 days after taking it. At the very least, it causes bad cramping because it brings on a woman's period early. At the worst, it can cause excessive bleeding that requires medical treatment. The friend I had who took it said that for her, it was like a cross between a bad period and stomach flu.

At least at WMU, the women seeking it were all adults, capable of signing consent and giving the doctor the information needed to decide whether this drug has too many risks for this patient. NY public schools don't have a doctor on staff. My high school never even had a nurse on duty.

meh............Bad Period/Pregnancy. Which is better?

Did Noonwitch's friends learn anything from the experience?

I guess I don't have a problem with schools passing out Plan B pills. Nothing else has worked.