Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 At Black Caucus dinner, Michelle Obama urges members to get out the vote 
    Link
    Wow! The Race Card AND the Slavery Card all in one speech!
    Michelle Obama used a speech to the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation on Saturday night to urge delegates to register voters and encourage African Americans to turn out in November’s election.

Speaking in Washington at the foundation’s annual Phoenix dinner, the first lady likened turning out the vote to the civil rights struggles of previous eras.

“Make no mistake about it, this is the march of our time,” Obama told the audience at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. “Marching door-to-door registering people to vote, marching everyone you know to the polls every single election.” That effort, she said, “is the movement of our era — protecting that fundamental right, not just for this election but for the next generation and generations to come.”

Obama did not refer explicitly to voter-ID laws that that have been passed or proposed in states such as Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida, but she warned against being dissuaded from voting.

“We cannot let anyone discourage us from casting our ballots,” she said. “We cannot let anyone make us feel unwelcome in the voting booth. It is up to us to make sure that in every election, every voice is heard and every vote is counted. That means making sure our laws preserve that right.”

Republicans have backed voter ID laws, which often require photo identification, arguing that they help prevent ballot fraud. Democrats and voter advocates say the measures could be used to keep some poor and minority voters away from the polls because it can be more burdensome for them to get the required IDs. Opponents have mounted several legal challenges to the laws.

This year’s dinner issued honors to Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.; film director George Lucas; Harvey Gantt, the first African American mayor of Charlotte; and Rep. Corrine Brown (D-Fla.).

Earlier at the convention center, issues of faith dominated the final day of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation’s annual legislative conference.

Faith leaders discussed one of the most controversial issues facing them in the black community: President Obama’s public support for same-sex marriage.
    More at link.

I just don't understand why minorities don't rise up in disgust at the insulting liberal belief that they're too stupid to get ID. I really don't get it.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

WOW! She does have what it takes to be a democrat nominee for President. Once she figures out how to get in references to Martin Luther King and Malcolm X she will be unstoppable.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Obtaining a photo id costs money, whether it's a state id card or a driver's license. To require a photo id to vote is requiring a fee to vote. If someone does not have enough money to get an id card, he can't vote. I know it's not all that expensive to get one, but it still costs money.

I voted by presenting my registration card only for decades, in precincts on both sides of the state. In 2008, they started requiring me to show a photo id. I'm a middle class person who drives a car, so it's not a big deal for me to present a photo id.

I think that there is going to be a huge turnout in the minority vote-whether it's black americans or hispanic americans, the message being sent out from the media is that the republicans are trying to keep you from voting. Whether this is true or not is not the point, my point is that this is the message that people are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Obtaining a photo id costs money, whether it's a state id card or a driver's license. To require a photo id to vote is requiring a fee to vote. If someone does not have enough money to get an id card, he can't vote. I know it's not all that expensive to get one, but it still costs money.

I voted by presenting my registration card only for decades, in precincts on both sides of the state. In 2008, they started requiring me to show a photo id. I'm a middle class person who drives a car, so it's not a big deal for me to present a photo id.

I think that there is going to be a huge turnout in the minority vote-whether it's black americans or hispanic americans, the message being sent out from the media is that the republicans are trying to keep you from voting. Whether this is true or not is not the point, my point is that this is the message that people are getting.
    Then make states give them out for free, problem solved.

You said minorities are going to come out in record numbers? as opposed to the 95%+ of blacks that voted for Obama in 08?
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

“..........march of our time,”...........our era...............We cannot.......discourage us...........our ballots......We cannot............us feel..............up to us............our laws..........
    Dichotomous thinking. The "us" against "them" mentality that pervades Michelle's and Barry's thought processes and policies. "They" will prevent "us" from doing the thing that "we" have a "right" to do.

It's a good sales technique, getting over on the other side of the table for a moment. Makes the prospect understand that you see through his eyes.
    But is it good leadership for the president and first lady? Nope.

I have yet to see the state requiring ID (or even the attempts that have been shot down by Democrats needing to ensure that they hold onto that dead voting bloc) in which there are no provisions to provide free ID for the indigent. In Missouri, the law even provided for sending someone out to your house to give you your ID and the Left shot it down as a "poll tax."

Everything costs money. Just because there's some sort of cost associated with voting does not make it some sort of poll tax that is intended to prevent people from voting. Gas costs money. A lot of money, these days. Isn't having to put gas in the car to get to the polls a "poll tax?" Bus fare costs money. Isn't requiring someone to pay bus fare to get to the polls a "poll tax?" Shoes cost money. Isn't requiring someone to wear shoes when they walk to the polling place a "poll tax?"

The claim is utterly absurd. This is ENTIRELY about Democrats ensuring that they can continue their voter fraud upon which they have depended for decades in order to "win" elections.

I think that there is going to be a huge turnout in the minority vote-whether it's black americans or hispanic americans,
    Not really. There will not be anything like the same Black turnout this time. There are a whole lot of Black people out there who either: a.) feel like they've already done their duty back in 2008 and see no need to get out to the polls this time for Obama, or; b.) have become very disillusioned indeed with Obama after they were sure that their rent and car notes would disappear when Obama got in office, only to find out that one of his first acts instead was to jack up the price of a pack of Kools by $1, or; c.) both.

the message being sent out from the media is that the republicans are trying to keep you from voting. Whether this is true or not is not the point, my point is that this is the message that people are getting.
    Well of course that's the message being sent out from the media. That's nothing new. They've all been screaming for decades that Republicans all piss in the local reservoir, steal bread from little old ladies and children right before they throw them in the gutter, and lynch Black people for sport on Saturday night. No shit they're going to try to portray Republicans as evil, horrible racists who just want to hold the Black Man down. That's their bias, and it has been for a long, long time.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    I have yet to see the state requiring ID (or even the attempts that have been shot down by Democrats needing to ensure that they hold onto that dead voting bloc) in which there are no provisions to provide free ID for the indigent. In Missouri, the law even provided for sending someone out to your house to give you your ID and the Left shot it down as a "poll tax."

Everything costs money. Just because there's some sort of cost associated with voting does not make it some sort of poll tax that is intended to prevent people from voting. Gas costs money. A lot of money, these days. Isn't having to put gas in the car to get to the polls a "poll tax?" Bus fare costs money. Isn't requiring someone to pay bus fare to get to the polls a "poll tax?" Shoes cost money. Isn't requiring someone to wear shoes when they walk to the polling place a "poll tax?"

The claim is utterly absurd. This is ENTIRELY about Democrats ensuring that they can continue their voter fraud upon which they have depended for decades in order to "win" elections.

Not really. There will not be anything like the same Black turnout this time. There are a whole lot of Black people out there who either: a.) feel like they've already done their duty back in 2008 and see no need to get out to the polls this time for Obama, or; b.) have become very disillusioned indeed with Obama after they were sure that their rent and car notes would disappear when Obama got in office, only to find out that one of his first acts instead was to jack up the price of a pack of Kools by $1, or; c.) both.

Well of course that's the message being sent out from the media. That's nothing new. They've all been screaming for decades that Republicans all piss in the local reservoir, steal bread from little old ladies and children right before they throw them in the gutter, and lynch Black people for sport on Saturday night. No shit they're going to try to portray Republicans as evil, horrible racists who just want to hold the Black Man down. That's their bias, and it has been for a long, long time.
    Well said. Food costs money, are we going to charge poor people less to make it fair? Or give it (all) away free? Someone posted awhile ago a chart showing how much it costs to get ID in each state, and in most states it's not expensive. If democrats think it's a problem, why don't they start the Voter ID Fund and donate money to it so poor people can get ID? Yeah that's what I thought.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post

I just don't understand why minorities don't rise up in disgust at the insulting liberal belief that they're too stupid to get ID. I really don't get it.
    Because some still believe in the "it's da white man trying to keep the brotha down" mentality that she is propagating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Then make states give them out for free, problem solved.

You said minorities are going to come out in record numbers? as opposed to the 95%+ of blacks that voted for Obama in 08?

I was referring to minority voter turnout. People in Detroit, both hispanics and african americans, think the GOP is trying to keep them from voting and they are pissed.

The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.