FL Paper Quotes White Woman as Racist Against Obama, SHE Says She Never Mentioned Obama

SHE Says She Never Mentioned Obama

A 60-year-old white woman from Spring Hill, Florida is quoted as saying that there is no chance a black man can win the White House. This same woman, Sandra Cichon, is quoted in a total of three St. Petersburg Times stories, the latest being from September 15. But in a follow up interview, Barbara Sowell of digitaljournal.com finds that Cichon claims she was never called by a pollster, as the paper claims, and never told any reporter that she wouldn't vote for a black man. So who is right? Did the St. Petersburg Times merely make up racist quotes out... snip
So who is right? Did the St. Petersburg Times merely make up racist quotes out of whole cloth and put words in the mouth of this woman or is she suddenly trying to take back what she said by claiming not to have been interviewed about Obama? Here’s the story and you can decide.

On September 15, Adam Smith of the St, Petersburg Times wrote a story headlined “Black ‘issue’ hangs over presidential polls.” Contained in the story are the following lines:

A pollster calling Sandra Cichon, a 60-year-old Democrat from Spring Hill, would hear her identify herself as an undecided voter. But is she really?

“I can’t imagine having a black president, and I think he’s inexperienced,” she told a reporter recently, eventually acknowledging she was leaning unenthusiastically toward McCain. “I don’t think we (Democrats) have a chance to be in the White House with Obama.”

This quote sure makes it seem as if Sandra Cichon is a racist and cannot vote for Obama because he’s black. This isn’t the only time that Cichon is quoted by this paper, though. In two earlier stories writer John Frank (as identified by Adam Smith) interviewed Cichon on matters political. Both appeared on August 27.

http://conservablogs.com/publiusforu...ntioned-obama/