Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Apple's Steve Wozniak: I want to become Australian 
    "I actually like this country and want to become a citizen," he told the Australian Financial Review, saying he was particularly impressed with plans to roll out a national broadband network across the country.

Wozniak, who quit Apple in 1987 after 12 years, told local radio in Brisbane last week that he enjoyed his regular visits to Australia.

"I am... on the way to become an Australian citizen, that's a littlenown fact," he told station 4BC after queuing up to buy the new generation iPhone 5.

"It turns out that I get to keep my American citizenship," he added.

"I intend, you know who knows what will follow through in the next five years, I intend to call myself an Australian and feel an Australian, and study the history and become, you know, as much of a real citizen here as I can."

In the interview with the Financial Review, Wozniak said the national broadband network was one of the reasons he wants to become a citizen.

Australia's ambitious Aus$35.9 billion ($37.4 billion) National Broadband Network (NBN) aims to connect all Australians to superfast Internet by 2021 in a move the government hopes will transform the country's economy.

Wozniak said his home in California was not connected to a broadband service and there was no "political idea" to bring it to everyone in the United States.

"There's only one set of wires to be on and I'm not going to pull strings to get them to do something special for me," he said.

Under the NBN scheme, 93 per cent of homes, schools and businesses will be linked by fibre optic while those in more remote regions of the vast nation will receive their service by fixed wireless and satellite technologies.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ustralian.html
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Question: if a man can slap on a dress and some make-up and go around calling himself a woman and he is legally identified as a woman, why can't Woz just slap on a Crocodile Dundee hat, start speaking with an Australian accent and be automatically legally identified as an Australian?

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Careful, Woz! You ain't no Matthew Quigley!
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

it probably has more to do with taxes then ISP speeds.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

G'day mate!

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    it probably has more to do with taxes then ISP speeds.
    I don't recall Australia being more favourable than the US in terms of taxation. It is a really nice place to live, though.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    I don't recall Australia being more favourable than the US in terms of taxation. It is a really nice place to live, though.
    I am sure it is, but they don't have anything we don't. I mean we have to have some nice people in the US ;D
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

I am sure it is, but they don't have anything we don't.
    They have a very sensible social security scheme.

Your employer has to contribute 9% of your salary into a superannuation fund by law. You would expect this to mean everyone just gets paid 9% less, but I didn't find this to be the case --the wages are very competitive to the US. The money in the fund is in a private pension account with your name on it, that you own, and you can invest in a couple of different funds. It's tax deferred, obviously.

When I left Australia, I had the opportunity to take it out. But then you can never work in Australia again, so I kept it there.

Fabulous Poster
    I am sure it is, but they don't have anything we don't. I mean we have to have some nice people in the US ;D
    Maybe he's sick of California.