Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This whole dang election has just got me terrified. I'm talking scared shitless. I have no idea how I'm going to get any sleep at all the days before the election; I just pray to God that I'm not so out of it that I can't remember my name when I go vote.

I swore off voting, once. I stood in line to vote for Nixon, and then got called for jury duty because I had registered. Whole deal sort of pissed me off.
    So I quit for some years.

Then John Kerry ran.

That woke me up, and I surprised everyone by getting interested and even involved. I voted and voted hard.

There won't come a time in the future that I won't vote. Not again.

Power CUer
    You stopped voting so you wouldn't get called for jury duty? That abdicates citizenship on so many levels it's not even funny.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    You stopped voting so you wouldn't get called for jury duty? That abdicates citizenship on so many levels it's not even funny.
    My Dad did the same thing. Nixon was the only person he ever voted for.

I like jury duty. I try to give out the death penalty even in civil cases.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Besides, you can always show up wearing an NRA T-shirt. Defense attorneys will excuse you right off, unless it's a Second Amendment case, in which case the prosecution will cut you loose.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    My Dad did the same thing. Nixon was the only person he ever voted for.

I like jury duty. I try to give out the death penalty even in civil cases.
    Remind me not to park next to a hydrant when you're on a jury.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Besides, you can always show up wearing an NRA T-shirt. Defense attorneys will excuse you right off, unless it's a Second Amendment case, in which case the prosecution will cut you loose.

The last time I was on jury duty, a guy showed up with a shirt like that. The judge made him change it.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

Nah. I liked jury duty. Got to serve in the US District Court in San Diego. Sent some bad guys and girls off to jail, too.
    I quit voting because I was duped so badly by Nixon. For years I felt that no one could be trusted, didn't matter who was President, and my vote didn't count.
    I've changed my mind.

And I don't see not voting as an abdication of citizenship. Jeez, you sound like an ACORN recruiter. I feel those who are not interested or don't know anything should stay home. In my world, you would need a license to vote and would have to pass a test.