Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Michael Savage leaves radio show after legal victory 
    Link
    LOS ANGELES (AP) — Michael Savage's talk show left the airwaves Thursday after the conservative host won a legal battle with his longtime employer, although his attorney said discussions with new networks are already under way.

Savage posted a message on his website Thursday evening under the headline "Free at Last!" that said he was free to work with any station or network from now on. He said he "will not be heard on the radio for some time."

His attorney Daniel Horowitz said Savage left Talk Radio Network after obtaining a favorable ruling in arbitration Thursday afternoon.

More than 8 million people listen to Savage's show each week, placing him behind only Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity in ratings, according to the magazine Talkers. The immediate effect that his abrupt departure would have on companies that advertise on his show was unclear.

An email sent to Oregon-based Talk Radio Network was not immediately returned. Savage's bio and name already have been removed from the company's website.

Horowitz says Savage has been fighting the network for two years to get out a contract that was 10 years old and prevented the host from switching employers. Horowitz said the agreement lacked protections afforded to artists and entertainers under California law, and tied Savage to Talk Radio Network indefinitely.

Horowitz said Savage spent more than $900,000 fighting his case but was awarded more than $1 million in arbitration. The agreement also calls for Savage to be able to obtain all archived tapes of his show.

Savage, who broadcasts from San Francisco, was heard on nearly 400 stations and has gained notoriety for offending immigrants and minorities, calling the Muslim holy book, the Quran, a "book of hate" and being banned in 2009 from traveling to England for allegedly fostering extremism or hatred. After that decision, the host appealed to one of the targets of his barbs, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, for help.

A State Department spokesman said at the time that countries have a right to determine who is allowed to enter, but declined to comment further on Savage's request.

FILE - In this Dec. 3, 2007 file photo, radio talk show host Michael Savage poses with his dog Teddy in Tiburon, Calif. Savage won a legal battle Thursday Sept. 27, 2012 and announced he was leaving Talk Radio Network, which broadcast his show that attracted more than 8 million listeners a week. (AP Photo/John Storey)
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Savage isn't on in the Bay Area ironically this is where he started. I used to listen to him from the time he was a part timer on KGO 810.

I don't really like the "high energy/high outrage" guys so much anymore.
    ENOUGH!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Good for him!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

SAVAGE!!!!!!11eleventeeyone!!!!!!

erm... not so much

I just farted.... and stuff
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative_Sangfroid View Post
    Savage isn't on in the Bay Area ironically this is where he started. I used to listen to him from the time he was a part timer on KGO 810.

I don't really like the "high energy/high outrage" guys so much anymore.
    WELL DUH!... He broke limp wrists...

NOT. THAT. HARD!
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    WELL DUH!... He broke limp wrists...

NOT. THAT. HARD!
    Yeah, maybe. But I was a fan of his for years and I realized one day that it was all about getting money out of the listeners.

He would find a good cause and attach himself to it and collect money. He would administer the money and I kind of got the feeling that he was keeping it.

Plus I bought one of his books once that was little more than his radio show transcribed.
    ENOUGH!

I can't stand the guy, but good for him.

From his attorney's comments, it sounds as if his employer was screwing him badly. It's kind of like what the Detroit Lions did to Barry Sanders-they wouldn't trade him, yet they wouldn't give him a team that would compete at the level he did, so he just retired.

I can't listen to him, it is more of a personality issue or his style of broadcasting because I don't often disagree with him.
    I have a lesbian couple living next door and was very surprised when the more tom boyish one of the two admitted to me that she listens to him every day and really likes him, I just smiled and said I was glad to hear that. The next thing you know she will discover the meat whistle.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I can't listen to him, it is more of a personality issue or his style of broadcasting because I don't often disagree with him.
    I have a lesbian couple living next door and was very surprised when the more tom boyish one of the two admitted to me that she listens to him every day and really likes him, I just smiled and said I was glad to hear that. The next thing you know she will discover the meat whistle.
    "The meat whistle"? That's a euphemism I haven't heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Are they hot lesbians or butch ones?
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly