Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 US military death toll in Afghanistan reaches 2,000 
    xchrom (81,904 posts)

US military death toll in Afghanistan reaches 2,000

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19776402

Nato troops will withdraw by the end of 2014, but a number will remain to train Afghan security forces

The US military has suffered its 2,000th death in the Afghan war - with a suspected "insider" attack at a checkpoint.

A US soldier and a foreign contractor were killed in the east of the country, apparently by a rogue member of the Afghan security forces.

"Insider" attacks sharply increased this year, prompting the coalition to suspend joint operations this month.

However, such operations resumed in recent days, the Pentagon said.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021440094

Of course when bush was in office it was "fuck bush get them out now" etc.......(you know). But since obama is in the white house these threads sink like a stone.
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

Quote Originally Posted by aka:PBS View Post

Of course when bush was in office it was "fuck bush get them out now" etc.......(you know). But since obama is in the white house these threads sink like a stone.
    I said this in another thread...but it apples here as well.

I can hear it now...

Brian Williams NBC News - "good evening...you're looking live at the Inaugural Ball of President Mitt Romney as he celebrates his first day in office...meanwhile...half a world away from the glitter and lights...two more soldiers died in attacks in Afghanistan in a war that is growing increasingly unwinnable day by day. This brings the death toll in America's longest war to (insert number)"

I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that some form of what I typed is how one or more of the nightly "news" programs will start off the night Mitt is sworn into office.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I said this in another thread...but it apples here as well.

I can hear it now...

Brian Williams NBC News - "good evening...you're looking live at the Inaugural Ball of President Mitt Romney as he celebrates his first day in office...meanwhile...half a world away from the glitter and lights...two more soldiers died in attacks in Afghanistan in a war that is growing increasingly unwinnable day by day. This brings the death toll in America's longest war to (insert number)"

I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that some form of what I typed is how one or more of the nightly "news" programs will start off the night Mitt is sworn into office.
    If a Republican were in the White House, that would be the lead every time he did anything other than... well, pretty much that would be the lead story no matter what he did. But when Obama plays golf game number 104, schmoozes with celebrities, attends gala fundraisers or otherwise does anything but his job, it's ignored.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Two thirds of the deaths in one half the time, a war being handled by the president and not the generals.
    This is another meat grinder the democrats are famous for.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by aka:PBS View Post

Obama's talking about getting us out of Afghanistan. I think we should in light of the fact that some of the leaders are acting Taliban friendly. The troops shouldn't have to risk their lives for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Obama's talking about getting us out of Afghanistan. I think we should in light of the fact that some of the leaders are acting Taliban friendly. The troops shouldn't have to risk their lives for that.
    Thats all he is doing is talking about it. what happened to the promises he made about having all the troops out?
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

You mean like the President is doing?

Obama talked about closing Camp X-Ray as well.

How did that work out for him?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Under Bush, there were 1200+ deaths in Afghanistan. Under Obama, there has been 1500. So it's more like half the deaths in 1/2 the time. Simply put, Obama lied, people died.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Obama's management of Afghanistan has been disastrous. When GEN McChrystal requested the surge, Obama spent months pretending to consider it, then provided fewer troops than requested, and announced the exit date. All that the Taliban had to do was hold on until then and they could take back the country. Our allies realized that we were not in it for the long haul and are acting to ensure that their new rulers see them as fellow jihadis, rather than American stooges.

Exit strategies are for people who intend to lose. Winners leave on their own terms.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Obama's management of Afghanistan has been disastrous. When GEN McChrystal requested the surge, Obama spent months pretending to consider it, then provided fewer troops than requested, and announced the exit date. All that the Taliban had to do was hold on until then and they could take back the country. Our allies realized that we were not in it for the long haul and are acting to ensure that their new rulers see them as fellow jihadis, rather than American stooges.

Exit strategies are for people who intend to lose. Winners leave on their own terms.
    Bingo.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.