Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Remember the Michigan woman who won the lotto and was getting food stamps? 
    Well, she's dead, apparently by her own hand.....

Mich. lottery winner who kept collecting welfare found dead

A Lincoln Park, Michigan, woman who won $1 million in the Michigan Lottery and was later convicted for still collecting state welfare died Saturday from an apparent drug overdose.

Ecorse Police confirmed Saturday afternoon that Amanda Clayton, of Lincoln Park, was found dead at a residence on Sunnyside Street at 9 a.m.

Shortly after winning the lottery in March, Clayton's story garnered national media attention when she revealed she was still collecting $5,500 from the state in food aid and medical benefits .

Clayton, 25, pleaded no contest to fraud in June and was placed on six months' probation in July.
    LINK
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Huh... she lived not to far from my grandmother. Maybe just 10 minutes away on a bad traffic day.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    May she rest in peace.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Huh... she lived not to far from my grandmother. Maybe just 10 minutes away on a bad traffic day.
    Is there any local scuttlebut?

Interesting stuff. Rest, her soul. It is hard to guess what happened. She may have been playing with drugs with all that extra money and she may have gone too far, or she may have intentionally taken her life.

Won't happen to me, either way. I have never fiddled around with illegal drugs. She shouldn't have, either.

The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Well, she's dead, apparently by her own hand.....

LINK
    Wow! MacKenzie Phillips is dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Interesting stuff. Rest, her soul. It is hard to guess what happened. She may have been playing with drugs with all that extra money and she may have gone too far, or she may have intentionally taken her life.

Won't happen to me, either way. I have never fiddled around with illegal drugs. She shouldn't have, either.

There is a lot of crack and probably meth in Lincoln Park. It's not really in the area I work in, but I covered that part of town as a delinquency worker in the early 90s. At that time, the kids were out of control and their drugs of choice were pot, coke and hallucinogens. They did have the best juvie officer in the area at the time. The kids who were not really bad knew they could turn to him if they got in over their heads.

I've had cases in the past decade or so where one of the parents was from LP. Usually the case involves crack use. But LP is mostly white, and has a strong biker faction, so my guess is that meth is around, too.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    There is a lot of crack and probably meth in Lincoln Park. It's not really in the area I work in, but I covered that part of town as a delinquency worker in the early 90s. At that time, the kids were out of control and their drugs of choice were pot, coke and hallucinogens. They did have the best juvie officer in the area at the time. The kids who were not really bad knew they could turn to him if they got in over their heads.

I've had cases in the past decade or so where one of the parents was from LP. Usually the case involves crack use. But LP is mostly white, and has a strong biker faction, so my guess is that meth is around, too.
    That's where my grandparents lived, during that time frame. They moved to Taylor in the late 90's. Even thereI still feel a bit uncomfortable at times. Back in April I was visiting there with my dad, we watched a big drug bust go down just a couple blocks down the road.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    That's where my grandparents lived, during that time frame. They moved to Taylor in the late 90's. Even the part their in now, I still feel a bit uncomfortable at times. Back in April I was visiting there with my dad, we watched a big drug bust go down just a couple blocks down the road.

Taylor is pretty bad, too. We call the city "Taylor-tucky" and the apartment complexes on Eureka either "Crack Ridge" (Pine Ridge), or "sin city".

It is well-known in my field that the Hatfields live in Taylor and the McCoys live in the white part of River Rouge.