1. #1 UMass Chaplain Offers Students Extra Obama Credit. 
    Political lesson for UMass chaplain

September 23, 2008

The University of Massachusetts at Amherst hardly has a reputation as a hotbed of political activism. But now a chaplain's electioneering has landed the flagship campus squarely on the partisan fault line.

News that a UMass chaplain had urged students to campaign for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama - and told them volunteering could earn them course credit - ricocheted through the political blogosphere yesterday, an immediate flashpoint for conservatives who rail against the school as a liberal bastion.

In an e-mail to students last week, chaplain Kent Higgins told students they could earn two independent study credits if they campaigned for Obama in New Hampshire, the Associated Press reported yesterday.

"If you're scared about the prospects for this election, you're not alone," Higgins wrote. "The most important way to make a difference in the outcome is to activate yourself. It would be just fine with [Republican candidate John] McCain if Obama supporters just think about helping, then sleep in and stay home between now and Election Day."

University officials said that there is no such independent study program and that Higgins was not authorized to promise students credit.

"There is no independent study for credit in the history department that involves partisan political work, and no such activity has ever been approved," said university spokesman Ed Blaguszewski.
    Pretty soon these schools will require Obama loyalty oaths.

Bostom.com

noonwitch
    This is wrong because it involves working on a campaign.

I could have done my field work for credit at the local congressman's (Howard Wolpe, at the time) office, but that would have been constituent services (for a social work major), not a campaign. It would have involved helping people who call their congressman's office for assistance with getting services from the federal government-mostly helping people with social security/ssi issues, or VA issues.

Private schools can do whatever they want, imo, since they are not receiving tax dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Pretty soon these schools will require Obama loyalty oaths.

I saw this story on Michelle Malkins site earlier today.
    I couldn't believe it as I read it.
    And yes, I agree with you.
    If Obama gets in I expect Loyalty Oaths conducted by Brown-Shirts.

Frightening bugger, isn't he?!?!
    And his disciples, like this professor, are just as frightening!
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

When I was in public high school, I took a social studies elective in "American Politics". The course required that students work a minimum of 20 hours as a volunteer for the political campaign of the student's choosing. The local campaign offices had sign-in sheets for the students to keep track of hours. About 2/3 of the class worked for the Democrats, and 1/3 worked for the Republicans. The election that year was a local one, for mayor. It was a real learning experience.

Just working election day was enough to rack up half the required hours...I went in a few evenings and manned the phone bank and then worked all of election day.

The alternative assignment was to write a 50 page term paper. Naturally, in the 20+ years that the teacher taught this course, no one did the alternative assignment. :D

After election day, the whole class got a great 4 day trip to Washington DC.

I think that the teacher was able to require that students work a campaign because he didn't care which party a student worked for, and there was an alternative assignment available. Also, this course was an elective (and a very popular one at that), so students chose to take it.

When I went to a state university (a better school than UMass at that!), I took a history course in "The Modern Middle East" that was taught by an Egyptian professor. He presented a very biased view, and was very anti-Israel. The few students who dared to point that out were literally shouted down in classroom debates.