Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Have A Sick Mom That Can't Get To Church & Just Put On A Catholic Mass On Cable TV & 
    link

global1 (9,734 posts)

Have A Sick Mom That Can't Get To Church & Just Put On A Catholic Mass On Cable TV & I'm Now Furious

the priest was at the pulpit damning the HHS ruling on abortion, contraception, etc. Said something like it was the worst attack on Religious Freedom ever in the U.S.

I thought they were supposed to separate Church & State. Don't they get special tax considerations for keeping out of politics?

Needless to say I didn't leave this on. I just feel bad for my Mom - cause she would have appreciated the fact that she could take a Mass in while at home.
    What a jerk. She deprived her mother of watching mass.....because she was OFFENDED that the Catholic Church teaches and wants it's members to follow its' beliefs.

Seperation of church and state doesn't mean that when the STATE meddles in the church and mandates things against their beliefs that the church has to shut up and not respond.

The of so "tolerant" liberal who demands tolerance of everything they want and believe shows her intolerance. How surprising. (NOT)

global1 (9,735 posts)
    Have A Sick Mom That Can't Get To Church & Just Put On A Catholic Mass On Cable TV & I'm Now Furious

the priest was at the pulpit damning the HHS ruling on abortion, contraception, etc. Said something like it was the worst attack on Religious Freedom ever in the U.S.

I thought they were supposed to separate Church & State. Don't they get special tax considerations for keeping out of politics?

Needless to say I didn't leave this on. I just feel bad for my Mom - cause she would have appreciated the fact that she could take a Mass in while at home.
    Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature would "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church and State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common Father and Creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association, assurances of my high respect and esteem.
    Th Jefferson
    Jan. 1. 1802
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Freedom of speech for me but not for thee, right DUmmie? I sure wish these guys would show me where it states separation of church and state. The 1st amendment seems so simple but I guess comprehension is a problem.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

That's a terrible way to treat one's mother. Mom should call her local parish and see if there is anyone who can help her get to mass, or if there is a priest that is willing to visit her in the home to at least provide the sacraments and pray with her.

It's not just about the mass, it's about human contact with someone other than her cruel offspring.

They get special tax considerations for being non-profits (church-owned ventures that are for-profit get taxed). They are supposed to keep out of politics, but politics is also supposed to leave them alone. Remember that the priest was discussing a policy that the government is imposing on the church and its charities and businesses. DUmmy missed that part, but that's what makes DUmmy so DUmb.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    They get special tax considerations for being non-profits (church-owned ventures that are for-profit get taxed). They are supposed to keep out of politics, but politics is also supposed to leave them alone. Remember that the priest was discussing a policy that the government is imposing on the church and its charities and businesses. DUmmy missed that part, but that's what makes DUmmy so DUmb.
    Oh you reminded me, what the DUmmie is also missing is that the only time you see a politician in church is during campaigns. And yes I think more dems than repubs use church for campaigning although I have no hard numbers on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Oh you reminded me, what the DUmmie is also missing is that the only time you see a politician in church is during campaigns. And yes I think more dems than repubs use church for campaigning although I have no hard numbers on that.

Around Detroit, it's mostly dems that visit churches in the weeks immediately prior to the election. I'm not saying that republicans don't do it, but dems get the local media
    to cover it.

Maybe on the West Coast of the state, it's the other way around? Does Hoekstra make campaign stops at Central Reformed, or Calvary Church? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be caught dead at Mars Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Around Detroit, it's mostly dems that visit churches in the weeks immediately prior to the election. I'm not saying that republicans don't do it, but dems get the local media
    to cover it.

Maybe on the West Coast of the state, it's the other way around? Does Hoekstra make campaign stops at Central Reformed, or Calvary Church? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be caught dead at Mars Hill.
    AFAIK he hasn't been to any churches but lots of businesses. This past weekend he went to Israel too. I can tell you that the people I hang around with are glad Rob Bell left town.

My church encourages people to register and vote, and yesterday's bulletin said there's people who will give rides to the polls if needed, but no one's saying to vote Romney (or Obama).

Every freaking election I see politicians and clergy standing at the pulpit talking about politics and who to vote for and when at certain Christian churches.

I have never seen a politician at the pulpit or a Catholic priest tell someone who to vote for in a Catholic church. Never. They don't do that. They may mention that certain policies of our government run counter to the teachings of the Church but you'll never hear them endorse or support a specific person. Credit to some of the DUmmies in that thread that realize that. Too bad for DUmmy's mom that can't listen to Mass though.
    Be Not Afraid.

Who is this person to be deciding for his mom if she can watch a mass on tv?

Everybody knows that being against birth control is part of Catholic beliefs. Don't like it? *You* don't have to listen to mass. I go to service and just put up with it. It's usually with Protestant services or young adult activities, but not mass itself. If they did speak politics at the mass every once in a while, I'd get over it. Some people think God is more important than politics.