Hybrid View

1. #1 Judge Halts Pennsylvania Voter ID Law 
    Power CUer
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/onpoli...uling/1608047/

A Pennsylvania judge is putting a halt to the state's voter identification law, ordering today that it not be enforced for the presidential election just five weeks away.

The ruling by Commonwealth Court Judge Robert Simpson could be appealed to the state's Supreme Court. Simpson's ruling says the law -- requiring each voter to show a valid photo ID -- would be fully implemented next year.

Simpson said during hearings last week that he was considering invalidating a part of the six-month-old llaw -- considered one of the toughest in the nation -- for the Nov. 6 election.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I just don't get this. A person has to show ID for just about every government related activity but yet voting is somehow looked at differently. AARP won't even let a person become a member without showing some type of ID yet we can vote merely by claiming to be someone on the voter rolls?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Fabulous Poster
    Simpson said today that he "expected more photo IDs to have been issued by this time. For this reason, I accept petitioners' argument that in the remaining five weeks before the general election, the gap between the photo IDs issued and the estimated need will not be closed."

Judith Browne Dianis, co-director of the Advancement Project, which challenged the law in court, hailed Simpson's ruling. "The evidence made it clear to the judge that this law would indeed disenfranchise voters and that the Commonwealth was not equipped to implement it fairly right now," she said in a statement.

Pennsylvania, a swing state, has 20 electoral votes up for grabs. President Obama is leading statewide opinion polls by an average of 8 points, according to six recent surveys compiled by RealClearPolitics. Mitt Romney said during a recent campaign stop in Pennsylvania that he believes he can carry the state.

OK, so all these no-id people now have a year and five weeks to get a photo ID and we won't have to deal with this bullshit again, right?

Why can't judges be candid and clear about these things? Why do they leave stuff open ended or up for interpretation? If Simpson were going to rule against voter id in PA this year, then he should have stated, "But I won't do this again. You have one year to get your ID's people, or tough shit. Unnerstan rubberban?"

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Simpson said today that he "expected more photo IDs to have been issued by this time. For this reason, I accept petitioners' argument that in the remaining five weeks before the general election, the gap between the photo IDs issued and the estimated need will not be closed."

Judith Browne Dianis, co-director of the Advancement Project, which challenged the law in court, hailed Simpson's ruling. "The evidence made it clear to the judge that this law would indeed disenfranchise voters and that the Commonwealth was not equipped to implement it fairly right now," she said in a statement.

Pennsylvania, a swing state, has 20 electoral votes up for grabs. President Obama is leading statewide opinion polls by an average of 8 points, according to six recent surveys compiled by RealClearPolitics. Mitt Romney said during a recent campaign stop in Pennsylvania that he believes he can carry the state.

OK, so all these no-id people now have a year and five weeks to get a photo ID and we won't have to deal with this bullshit again, right?

Why can't judges be candid and clear about these things? Why do they leave stuff open ended or up for interpretation? If Simpson were going to rule against voter id in PA this year, then he should have stated, "But I won't do this again. You have one year to get your ID's people, or tough shit. Unnerstan rubberban?"
    I heard an interesting analysis on the radio last night concerning how states that have enacted voter ID laws have offered free IDs in order to allow everyone to comply with the law. They noticed that even though they were expecting large numbers of people to show up to receive their IDs the turn out has been very, very small. Those opposed to voter IDs hold this up as an example that many people are to busy to get the IDs and will be denied the right to vote come election day. The facts, however, show that turn out is low because most people already have some type of ID and that the need for various boards of election to offer free IDs is practically non-existant.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I do remember reading that South Carolina was even going to provide carpooling for people who wanted to get theirs, and they still overturned it in the court.

How much easier can it be when your going to give people a ride to the DMV and then give them a free card?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Pa now gives free state id cards. This judge is just another obama supporter who agrees with letting illegal aliens vote. The voter fraud this year is going to be huge. Look for bus loads of people coming over the Mexican and Canadian borders to vote for obama. This sucks!

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    That's the way the judge left it so we'll see.

We won't have to wait that long to find out though. There is a primary next May.
    Be Not Afraid.