Hybrid View

1. #1 Romney says he won't revoke young illegal immigrant visas under new Obama program 
    Link
    Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney says he would honor temporary work permits for young illegal immigrants who were allowed to stay in the U.S. because of an executive order signed this summer by President Barack Obama.

Romney told The Denver Post, in an interview appearing in Tuesday's edition, that people who are able to earn the two-year visas to stay and work wouldn't see them revoked under a Romney administration.

"The people who have received the special visa that the president has put in place, which is a two-year visa, should expect that the visa would continue to be valid. I'm not going to take something that they've purchased," Romney told the Post, promising to put a comprehensive immigration reform plan into place before those visas expire.

In June, Obama issued an executive order that allows some young illegal immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children to avoid deportation. Romney criticized Obama for circumventing Congress to make the change a few months before the presidential election.

During the Republican presidential primary, Romney said he would veto legislation to provide a path to citizenship for some of the young people who benefited from Obama's executive order.

Throughout the Republican primary, Romney took an aggressive tack on immigration, saying in debates that he approved of "self-deportation," where undocumented workers would choose to leave on their own because they were unable to find work in the U.S. He assailed rival Rick Perry, the Texas governor, for allowing illegal immigrants to attend Texas state colleges and universities at in-state tuition rates.

Romney also said he would veto the so-called DREAM Act, legislation that would have allowed a path to citizenship the children of illegal immigrants if they meet certain education or service requirements. Romney has always said he supports a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants who serve in the military.

After rival Rick Santorum dropped out of the primary, leaving Romney the presumptive Republican nominee, the former Massachusetts governor indicated he would review potential legislation from Florida Sen. Marco Rubio that would have allowed some young illegal immigrants a way to stay in the country.

At a Univision forum last month, Romney said: "I'm not going to be rounding people up and deporting them from the country. ... I will put in an immigration reform plan that solves this issue."

The Denver Post interview comes as Romney and Obama are fighting a heated battle for Colorado, whose significant Hispanic population could determine which candidate receives the state's nine electoral votes.
    The ever elusive immigration reform. Someday, someday.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Link

The ever elusive immigration reform. Someday, someday.
    I don't have a problem with this as long as it will not lead to a blanket amnesty for illegals.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Fabulous Poster
    Obama was wrong to give out this backdoor amnesty, but Romney would be wrong to renege on the deal with those who already have it. As much as I hate to see illegal immigration rewarded, there is no integrity in playing games with these people, many of whom are indeed as described in the promo: young, Americanish, and trying to get ahead.

However, when their permits expire, then they should not be given additional permits. A promise is only a promise for what was actually promised, not what they inferred or hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Obama was wrong to give out this backdoor amnesty, but Romney would be wrong to renege on the deal with those who already have it. As much as I hate to see illegal immigration rewarded, there is no integrity in playing games with these people, many of whom are indeed as described in the promo: young, Americanish, and trying to get ahead.

However, when their permits expire, then they should not be given additional permits. A promise is only a promise for what was actually promised, not what they inferred or hoped for.
    My understanding was that the alleged intent of these passes is to allow these folks to apply for citizenship in the otherwise usual fashion. So, at least in theory on paper, there shouldn't be a need for additional permits for these people. How much of that actually comes true is a whole different story.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I don't have a problem with this as long as it will not lead to a blanket amnesty for illegals.
    I agree. To make it better, they should serve at least two years in the military, attend college, and have no criminal record.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Same here. I don't support amnesty for all illegals, but this is for kids who came here with their parents and really didn't have much choice in becoming illegal immigrants.