Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Tarantulas aren't poisonous, so I could probably deal with them. Spiders in and of themselves don't scare me.

We don't really get big spiders in Michigan, unless someone buys one at the pet store. Most spiders that get into my house end up as cat toys, until she kills them, that is.

My dad said when he was a kid, he'd hang out at the produce terminal on the Detroit River. He told us that sometimes there were tarantulas in the Chiquita boxes. That probably doesn't happen so much now, with the use of pesticides.
    Yes we do. I've seen some of those spiders that get as big as your hand up north. Also had an occasion up there were a wolf spider was crawling on my neck. Brown pants factor was high on that one...
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Yes we do. I've seen some of those spiders that get as big as your hand up north. Also had an occasion up there were a wolf spider was crawling on my neck. Brown pants factor was high on that one...

Up north is a whole different world than metro Detroit.

I get these orange spiders on my porch, sometimes. They are not really big, maybe dime-sized at the largest. They spin very symmetrical webs.

recluse bites can be fatal. i still have a scar on my butt from a bite back in the 70's. pain was off the scale. went to the ER to have it lanced. the doc told me some horror stories about this little bastard.

Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    The few people I have known who were bitten have horror stories about rotting tissue and multiple operations. Dang spiders can go months without a meal of any sort, and I have found them dead. I guess they just sit there and starve to death. Ought to change their name to Democrat Spiders....
    I survived the bite , the spider did not, I smacked it before it could make it's get away. About 30 minutes later when I was sitting in the Dr.'s office The affected area looked like a really bad skeeter bite. The Doc cut out a area about the size of a silver dollar and a little deeper than a scalpel blade.

This was about 20 yrs ago and the scar other than a slight indentation is almost unnoticeable except in the summer months because unlike the rest of my leg it doesn't tan.

Spiders don't bother me but rats send a shiver down my spine. When I was about 12 yrs old I was in a granary on top the pile shoveling grain down to the auger to load a truck. a saw a rat walking along the top but thought nothing of it. After all rats around grain is common. next thing I know that rat is up inside my pant leg. I must have broken some type of speed record getting out of that granary , getting my boots and pants off to get that rat. I wasn't about to let it become a jewel thief If'n you now what I mean. my older brother got a good laugh from the episode,me not so much.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Tarantulas aren't poisonous, so I could probably deal with them. Spiders in and of themselves don't scare me.

We don't really get big spiders in Michigan, unless someone buys one at the pet store. Most spiders that get into my house end up as cat toys, until she kills them, that is.

My dad said when he was a kid, he'd hang out at the produce terminal on the Detroit River. He told us that sometimes there were tarantulas in the Chiquita boxes. That probably doesn't happen so much now, with the use of pesticides.
    I thought all spiders were "poisonous?"
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I thought all spiders were "poisonous?"
    Far from it. Most are not near as dangerous as a dog or cat bite given the "dirty" mouth most pets have. Remember what they do when not otherwise occupied? Spiders don't do that.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.