Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Why is that a straw man argument. It is directly on topic. You know, I've learned that recently that people like to toss out that "your making a straw man argument" when they cannot refute the initial statement based on evidence at hand..

What you can't dispute is the fact that under a free market that revolved around the opening chapters of the industrial era when there were no regulations concerning child labor that the free market exploited children for financial gain. That is a fact and not a straw man.

Labor regulations came along forced industry against its will to operate more ethically when dealing with those people it employed.

Do I think that free market is over regulated. Yes I certainly do. I but by that same token I do not believe in throwing out the baby with the bath water. Some regulation is necessary to keep some people from taking advantage of others. Should industries be allowed to wantonly dump chemicals in rivers and pour pollutants into the air? With no regulation this would happen. How do I know this because companies get caught and fined every year for violating not only the unnecessary regulations but the necessary ones as well.

You seem not to understand that some people will do anything to make a profit no matter who gets hurt. This is not another straw man. This is another fact.
    I believe you try to misrepresent my position. Talk about returning to slave labor is indeed strawman tactics because it frames the argument into one where you suggest I'm advocating the return of "Slave Labor OK'. That my belief in an unregulated free market = enslavement. That if one engages in dishonest business practice for the sake of profit that is somehow a free market. That is not the case.

I do understand that profits can drive people to hurt others. The problem is in this country, those who engage in those practices get "bailouts" off the backs of you and me. The profits are all "privatized", but the risk is made "public". That is not a free market. It also doesn't detract from my position that the "Law" should protect people against things like theft, violence, and enslavement.

It's not likely I'm going to be convinced hat we are underegulated in this country. Hearing Romney not acknowledging the role regulation has played in this countries demise is very disheratening.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Other than to try and ding Romney on his religion was there some kind of point you're trying to make?
    The only place Romney was getting dinged on his religion was in your mind. I was just answering a question about Romney's probable source of insurance.

So you don't have any issues with a company employing 10 year olds to work putting together circuit boards for .50 an hour?
    There are laws here in the US that would prevent that. Laws are put in place to keep companies ethical and they would be applied. A free market self-regulates if you want to call it a real free market. Regulation gave us the CRA which crumbled the housing market. Perhaps there should be some oversight to make sure companies are following the laws..but regulations hinder a free market.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Speaking of MSLSD:

With the folks at MSNBC, it always seems to come back to race. Network host Ed Schultz failed to disappoint this morning when he appeared on Thomas Roberts's 11 a.m. Eastern MSNBC Live and suggested that racism was partly to blame for President Obama's weak performance in the debate (video follows page break):

Look, I certainly am not going to bail out on the effort of the progressive movement in this country. This just makes it a little heavier lift than it is right now. It was just very frustrating to watch a guy lie to the American people and not be counter-punched because we're afraid he's going to be called an angry black man. When I see the president, I don't see a black man. I see a president who has inherited an untenable position and turned it around to a great positive to where we are right now. He has brought it down to 8 percent unemployment without any help from the Republicans.

The very next hour, on MSNBC's Now with Alex Wagner, panelist Michael Eric Dyson similarly suggested that fear of being seen as an "angry black man" held Obama back from forcefully debating and possibly winning last night's contest.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-she...ate-performa-0
    Schultz is crazier than a shithouse rat. racism ??? Gore blames Denver and it high altitude. WTF else did it??? the food??? no nookie the night before???
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    There are laws here in the US that would prevent that. Laws are put in place to keep companies ethical and they would be applied. A free market self-regulates if you want to call it a real free market. Regulation gave us the CRA which crumbled the housing market. Perhaps there should be some oversight to make sure companies are following the laws..but regulations hinder a free market.
    Exactly. A free market where the laws of ethical and moral standards were actually applied would not tolerate a company that filched it's clientele or employees. Any company that engaged in such practices wouldn't last very long.
    It was only when the government legalized the practices of allowing private companies to make bad mortgages. Those companies knew fully well they could take the risk because if something bad happened the risk would fall on someone else.
    Over regulation also gives you is great things like the current Health care deboggle.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    I call bullshit.
    Read my post above.
    You can jump up and down and dance to it if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    You can jump up and down and dance to it if you like.

You are a great debater. Did you coach Obama?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Those laws are also regulations. Molon Labe stated that he is against regulations in a free market.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Those laws are also regulations. Molon Labe stated that he is against regulations in a free market.
    Okay, definition question...

Can a law that makes murder illegal be said to "regulate murder"? Is this a regulation, or something different?

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Okay, definition question...

Can a law that makes murder illegal be said to "regulate murder"? Is this a regulation, or something different?
    It regulates the society by outlawing murder.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg