Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbins View Post
    Because you can totally execute a wild deer that runs at any rustling of leaves or a wild boar that has tusks that can tear you apart and is charging you.
    If you will check my original post, I merely made comment on my feelings about hunting, while acknowledging that it needed doing. It's rather like the executioner, everyone knows there has to be one, but that doesn't mean you want to sit around listening to his tales of what King Charles sounded like when the sword hit his neck.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I don't eat steaks or hot dogs, but that has nothing to do with my position. It also wouldn't undo my objection to finding pleasure or sport in killing animals. I have killed chickens for food, but I didn't think it was fun. I didn't do it for fun. I did it because chickens are food animals and you have to kill them before you clean them for cooking. We executed them, we didn't sit in a lounge chair and pick them off with a .22.
    I dislike the fact we are so disconnected from our food supply chain. Like, hamburgers come in cellophane from the backroom of the supermarket.

    So I believe in eating locally. Eating organic. And yes, eating food that other people have hunted/killed themselves whether it be on a local (small) farm, or in the woods during deer season. So hunting is a good thing in my mind.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    If you will check my original post, I merely made comment on my feelings about hunting, while acknowledging that it needed doing. It's rather like the executioner, everyone knows there has to be one, but that doesn't mean you want to sit around listening to his tales of what King Charles sounded like when the sword hit his neck.
    The difference between an executioner and a hunter is that the executioner is punishing someone for a crime, a hunter is out smarting his prey. Think about how in the past a hunter would sit around a fire telling his children about a kill he got, that would give the boy something to look up to and a level of skill to beat, and with help from the hunter the boy would be able to feed his own family once his time came.

    You've gotta think deeper than "Oh look at how I shot the hell out of that buck" and rather "Look at how I hid quietly for the right time to strike, aimed my shot taking into account wind, temperature, and bullet drop and all it took was one shot to kill dinner"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,142
    Guys, don't feed the troll.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,142
    Why should anyone worry. It's not like these clowns are kooks or anything. From the article:

    The Outdoor Heritage Alliance earlier cried foul when the Humane Society launched a campaign to remove the director of the California Fish and Game Commission, a regulatory body separate from the department.

    The commission board last August removed Dan Richards as director after the Humane Society and others protested when Richards was photographed in a hunting magazine with a mountain lion he had shot in Idaho. It's legal to do so in Idaho, but not California.
    A man is forced from his job for the sole reason of partaking in a legal activity. Ugh.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    882
    I once had a libtard ask me why I kill animals. I told her it was so they don't scream when I bite into them.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Why should anyone worry. It's not like these clowns are kooks or anything. From the article:

    A man is forced from his job for the sole reason of partaking in a legal activity. Ugh.
    It's worse than that. A man is forced from his job for being politically incorrect.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member namvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Western Mo
    Posts
    3,056
    only thing left to shoot out there is libtards.
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pierce County
    Posts
    2,081
    It is not the name change that bothers me. It is the culture within the state government of California. As it sits right now, all of California's agencies that deal with natural resources are all lead by leftists and the problem is that what happens in Cali tends to spread like a disease.

    A couple of years ago, California banned all gold dredging by small time prospectors. This was done to "protect the native salmon". However, not one independent study has backed up these claims. Unfortunately the result of this ban is the closure of mom-n-pop stores whose main income came during the summer months when dredging season was. This has also resulted in layoffs in major mining equipment companies like Keen and ProLine who manufacture dredges. With the loss of sales tax revenue and jobs, especially in the gold bearing areas of California, it has done nothing but hurt the people.

    It is no secret to outdoorsmen like myself that the bureaucrats in California would like nothing better than to shut down hunting and severely restrict fishing in that state. The Jerry Brown administration doesn't seen to care about the jobs that will be lost or the revenue that will leave the state.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    It is not the name change that bothers me. It is the culture within the state government of California. As it sits right now, all of California's agencies that deal with natural resources are all lead by leftists and the problem is that what happens in Cali tends to spread like a disease.

    A couple of years ago, California banned all gold dredging by small time prospectors. This was done to "protect the native salmon". However, not one independent study has backed up these claims. Unfortunately the result of this ban is the closure of mom-n-pop stores whose main income came during the summer months when dredging season was. This has also resulted in layoffs in major mining equipment companies like Keen and ProLine who manufacture dredges. With the loss of sales tax revenue and jobs, especially in the gold bearing areas of California, it has done nothing but hurt the people.

    It is no secret to outdoorsmen like myself that the bureaucrats in California would like nothing better than to shut down hunting and severely restrict fishing in that state. The Jerry Brown administration doesn't seen to care about the jobs that will be lost or the revenue that will leave the state.
    I have no idea what the scale is, but I could actually understand a ban on gold dredging. I suppose you could control it by issuing a very few permits, but that would get ugly. At the same time, a bunch of folks digging up stream beds and dumping it back in would necessarily fuck up the water quality. Sure, it would recover but would you want your kids to play in a clear stream or a murky one?

    I agree with you that California is constantly going too far with their laws and regulations. One need only look at how they thwart the Second Amendment, and wonder why the NRA can't seem to do anything about it.

    Here's what I saw on my last trip to California: East of I5 were billboards expressing farmers' anger and concerns about water restrictions. I did not see anything west of 101 to educate the liberal side of the highway on the issue. A lot of Californians seem to vote along with this bullshit because it makes sense to them in ignorance. They don't know they are ignorant, they simply don't have or put in the time to educate themselves, and conservative groups don't seem to think it's worth the money to put up bullboards or public statements west of 101.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •