Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Pro-Abortion Activist Who Threatened Pro-Lifers Gets 41-Month Sentence 
    Link
    A pro-abortion activist who sent death threats to a number of pro-life leaders has been sentenced to 41 months in federal prison.

Theodore Shulman, 51, threatened pro-life Princeton University professor Robert George and Father Frank Pavone, the national director of Priests for Life. He was arrested in February 2011 and has been held without bail ever since.

The threats against the pro-life advocates, made on the web site of a conservative magazine, said Pavone and George would be killed if the killer of late-term abortion practitioner George Tiller was acquitted.

Shulman pleaded guilty in May to one count of transmitting a threat to injure another person.

In January 2010, as the trial of Scott Roeder, a man accused of killing abortionist George Tiller, was under way, Shulman posted a comment on the Catholic news site First Things, threatening that “if Roeder is acquitted, someone will respond by killing” Father Pavone and Mr. George.

Father Pavone stated, “I have already publicly forgiven Mr. Shulman and pray for him every day. I also renew, with my friend Bill Baird, known as the Father of the Pro-Choice movement, the joint statement we made years ago rejecting hatred and violence in word and deed between those on opposite sides of the abortion issue.”

At the time Shulman pleaded guilty, Pavone told LifeNews: “I was informed today that Theodore Shulman pleaded guilty to the charges of threatening pro-life leaders, myself included. I hope that his acceptance of personal responsibility for what he did, and his readiness to serve jail time for it, is for him the beginning of a road of conversion and repentance that will reach even to the point of renouncing his position in favor of legal abortion. Violence against me and other leaders is wrong for the same reason that violence against children in the womb is wrong. Both must be rejected.”

“I’m grateful to the detectives and other law enforcement personnel who have worked with me and Priests for Life throughout this case to gather and track the threats that I have received. The NYPD, the FBI, the Joint Terrorist Task Force, and the Department of Justice have done an exemplary and professional job,” he continued.

Pavone added, “From the point of view of my work as a pro-life leader, I also take this opportunity to point out that violence and threats of violence against pro-life activists are far more common, yet far less visible in the media, than violence and threats of violence against abortionists and abortion supporters. In fact, the latter have used a handful of violent acts by people disconnected from the pro-life movement to try to tar the reputation of the entire movement, and those tactics should have no more place in the public debate over abortion than should violence itself.”

Pavone told LifeNews he offers Shulman his “prayers and personal forgiveness” and said he maintains close relationships with pro-abortion activists in order to show them the goodness of pro-life people and, ultimately, win their hearts and minds for the pro-life perspective.

“Civil debate is possible; people who disagree deeply on fundamental issues can still respect one another. My own friendship with abortion-rights pioneer Bill Baird, and the frequent pleas we have made together over the years for mutual respect among pro-life advocates and abortion-rights advocates demonstrate the path we can follow as a society. Ultimately, ‘respect for life’ means respect for the unborn and the born, for those who agree with us and those who don’t,” he said.
    More at link.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Power CUer
    Good. This is just as intolerable as the "Army of God" publishing the names and addresses of abortion doctors, to encourage their killing.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Good. This is just as intolerable as the "Army of God" publishing the names and addresses of abortion doctors, to encourage their killing.
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by wasp69 View Post
    Link?
    They used to use the name Nuremburg files or something like that. I can't link to their site from my work computer, I get border management, due to the advocation of violence and such.

Power CUer
    Army of God related attacks and killings, from the Global Terrorism Database:
    http://www.start.umd.edu/gtd/search/...#results-table

The publisher of the names and addresses I was thinking of was actually the "Nuremberg Files", an equally attractive group:

http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs181/...mbergFiles.pdf
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by wasp69 View Post
    Link?
    She has to establish some sort of moral equivalence, one hand washes the other.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

The Atlanta Olympic terrorist (Rudolph, who also bombed abortion clinics and a gay bar) was a member or affiliate of the Army of God. HBO did a documentary about them called "Soldiers in the Army of God". They are rightfully considered a domestic terrorist organization.

Fabulous Poster
    I suspected that there was more than a simple internet threat in play here. I appear to have been correct:

The plea deal includes an agreement that prosecutors would not charge Shulman for possession of cyanide and two other deadly substances at the time of his arrest.

As a rule, you won't go to prison simply for threatening someone (with the possible exception of a public official) , you generally have to be determined to have both the will and the way in place.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    They used to use the name Nuremburg files or something like that. I can't link to their site from my work computer, I get border management, due to the advocation of violence and such.
    Got it, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Army of God related attacks and killings, from the Global Terrorism Database:
    http://www.start.umd.edu/gtd/search/...#results-table

The publisher of the names and addresses I was thinking of was actually the "Nuremberg Files", an equally attractive group:

http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs181/...mbergFiles.pdf
    Thank you, Linda numbers.