1. #1 Just got devastating news (yeah right) 
    MANative (1,264 posts)

Just got devastating news

My dear friend and business partner was diagnosed with a liver disease that will take her life in two to three months if she does not have a transplant. She is a 55 year-old single mother of a ten-year-old daughter, and has no health insurance. Her doctor told her that without health insurance, no hospital will allow her to be treated. He told her to go home and get her affairs in order. I'm gutted over this. I've known this wonderful woman for nearly 15 years, and she is smart and kind and as beautiful inside as she is outside. She doesn't deserve this.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021478354

God i smell so much bullshit my bullshit meter is overflowin....
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

Response to global1 (Reply #3)

MANative (1,266 posts)

10. What makes this horrible beyond the pale is...

that her ex-husband is a VERY wealthy venture capitalist, nearly in Romney's league, and he won't help. All he gives her is $2000/month in child support, a low figure for his ability to pay because he, too, hides all his money overseas. That amount, however, is enough to disqualify her from receiving Medicaid. The anger I feel toward him is indescribable.
    And there's the money shot.

Where do they find these people?
    Be Not Afraid.

Who knows.....maybe i am an asshole for thinking this way...(lately I have been an asshole... )
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

That is truly crap. A close friend's brother was diagnosed with a fatal liver disease and would not survive without a transplant. The hospital assisted the family with finding charitable support and hooked them up with medicaid that enabled them to have the surgery. My wife is an emergency room nurse who also works as a case manager in the ER. She called BS on this. A hospital will find a way to treat her. My wife does this for patients who come and and find out that they are terminal with out special treatment. Hospitals don't let you die if they can help it. They will get their money from someplace.

Now if the woman has co-morbidities (other factors that caused the liver damage) then she may not be even illegible for a transplant and they wouldn't give her one even if she had cash. A history of alcohol or drug abuse, untreated diabetes and hepatitis are all reasons that will keep someone off the transplant list. If the doctor is throwing up his hands then there is more to the store than we are being told. It is either BS, a half truth or her friend isn't telling her everything.

BTW, Mrs. FlaGator works at a for profit hospital and they do this stuff all the time. They are not allowed to turn down anyone who comes in to an ER and needs help even if they have zero change of recovering the money.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    That is truly crap. A close friend's brother was diagnosed with a fatal liver disease and would not survive without a transplant. The hospital assisted the family with finding charitable support and hooked them up with medicaid that enabled them to have the surgery. My wife is an emergency room nurse who also works as a case manager in the ER. She called BS on this. A hospital will find a way to treat her. My wife does this for patients who come and and find out that they are terminal with out special treatment. Hospitals don't let you die if they can help it. They will get their money from someplace.

Now if the woman has co-morbidities (other factors that caused the liver damage) then she may not be even illegible for a transplant and they wouldn't give her one even if she had cash. A history of alcohol or drug abuse, untreated diabetes and hepatitis are all reasons that will keep someone off the transplant list. If the doctor is throwing up his hands then there is more to the store than we are being told. It is either BS, a half truth or her friend isn't telling her everything.

BTW, Mrs. FlaGator works at a for profit hospital and they do this stuff all the time. They are not allowed to turn down anyone who comes in to an ER and needs help even if they have zero change of recovering the money.
    He got the money, but it was charity, not guaranteed.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/...o-save/1167685

Tampa General Hospital lung transplant patient's family needs $10,000 to save his life

By Letitia Stein, Times Staff Writer
    In Print: Thursday, May 5, 2011

The 20-year-old will die during this hospital visit, his doctor says, unless he receives a lung transplant.

But his family doesn't have the $10,000 needed to save his life.

Everyone celebrates when the gift of life is procured for those whose hearts, lungs or kidneys have failed them.

But behind each life-saving transplant is a brutal calculus. Demand far exceeds donated organs. So part of the decision about who should get them centers on resources ó including whether a recipient can afford to care for a new organ.