Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 SF archbishop jokes about recent DUI arrest 
    Power CUer
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021479569

JRLeft (880 posts)
    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) San Francisco's new Roman Catholic archbishop made self-deprecating jokes about his recent drunken-driving arrest during his formal installation ceremony, which came just days after he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of reckless driving.

But Archbishop Salvatore Joseph Cordileone, a strong supporter of California's ban on same-sex marriage, did not refer to the distress his appointment has aroused in this gay-friendly city and mentioned marriage only obliquely Thursday.

Amid heavy security and the splendor of his faith's most sacred rites, Cordileone told an audience of more than 2,000 invited guests at St. Mary's Cathedral he was grateful for the support he had received from people of different religious and political viewpoints following the Aug. 25 arrest in his home town of San Diego.

"I know in my life God has always had a way of putting me in my place. I would say, though, that in the latest episode of my life God has outdone himself," Cordileone said with a chuckle as he delivered his first homily as archbishop.

The 56-year-old priest, the second-youngest U.S. archbishop, went on to say he did not know "if it's theologically correct to say God has a way of making himself known in this way," and asked for the indulgence of other high-ranking church leaders in the audience.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/SF...st-3918064.php

You would think his credibility would be shit.

First of all, DUmmie, this isn't about credibility--the humor was self deprecating and the bishop realized that God was giving him an exercise in humility. Then again, DUmmies don't understand lessons from God.

Also, I know something about this situation. I know one of the people who attended the party the bishop attended before the DUI.

The party was a small dinner party with church related lay people and the bishop's mother. There was wine with dinner (Catholics are allowed to drink), and the bishop actually turned down drinks afterwards. He ended the evening by driving his mother home. His mother lives close to San Diego State University and the bishop got caught in the checkpoints intended for drunk students. The bishop was not drunk off his ass--he was just at the legal limit--and he cooperated thoroughly with police.

The bishop is a decent man and people I respect have a great deal of respect for him.

I think a lot of folks aren't fully aware of the minimal amount of alcohol consumption required to meet or exceed most states Blood alcohol content DUI/DWI laws. Therefore but for the grace of God go they.

I realize "drunk driving" is a PC hot button issue in todays society but there is a difference between the guy who gets popped for DWI after stopping off for a drink with coworkers on the way home and the guy who sits in the bar continuously drinking for hours & hours before getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. But in the eyes of the law they are both guilty.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Its just a crap shoot as to who gets caught. I've known a couple of people who didn't drink often who got DUIs and a few other people who drive after drinking more often than not and they don't have as much as a speeding ticket. The Lord will do as the Lord will do.

God found me after my last DUI and introduced Himself up close and personal. Since then I have been a believer and I have never had another drink of alcohol.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Its just a crap shoot as to who gets caught. I've known a couple of people who didn't drink often who got DUIs and a few other people who drive after drinking more often than not and they don't have as much as a speeding ticket. The Lord will do as the Lord will do.

God found me after my last DUI and introduced Himself up close and personal. Since then I have been a believer and I have never had another drink of alcohol.
    There is also an extreme disparity of prosecution for & eventual outcomes for DUI/DWI

One of my brothers third DUI was back in the 90's. He never spent more than a couple hrs in jail or paid a fine greater than $300. His third DUI also included Driving while under suspension, no licence ,tags or registration for his motorcycle or insurance. He was required to enter into a 12 step program and attend meetings regularly for a year. After his 2nd meeting he bailed on the program because he said all the meetings were a bunch of cry babies blaming their problems on others. He said he knew what he was doing was wrong but if caught was willing to nut up & take his medicine.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

They changed the limit in Michigan, and probably most other states, from .010 to .080, in the 90s. For the average woman, that means pretty much you can only have one drink, with a meal, and maybe one an hour or two later and still be okay to drive.

People do make mistakes, but I want to stress that I'm for traditional driving between one sober man/woman and one car. Nothing else. I want an amendment too.

Of course, as soon as they pass that, they'll be passing an amendment against speeding next. Then, I'll be screwed. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I think a lot of folks aren't fully aware of the minimal amount of alcohol consumption required to meet or exceed most states Blood alcohol content DUI/DWI laws. Therefore but for the grace of God go they.

I realize "drunk driving" is a PC hot button issue in todays society but there is a difference between the guy who gets popped for DWI after stopping off for a drink with coworkers on the way home and the guy who sits in the bar continuously drinking for hours & hours before getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. But in the eyes of the law they are both guilty.
    You can have one or two beers and think you're okay when you're not. You may not see the room spinning, but you might get high enough for it to matter. It was recommended in high school to wait an hour after having just one drink. I suspect a lot of people who get caught driving drunk or who got into a wreck thought they were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    You can have one or two beers and think you're okay when you're not.
    I guarantee that at .18 I am a better driver than you sober.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I guarantee that at .18 I am a better driver than you sober.

I can drive at maximum speed around curves and make sharp turns at a moment's notice. I rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I can drive at maximum speed around curves and make sharp turns at a moment's notice. I rock.
    That's nice. But I was just basing my statement on the fact that you're a girl and I'm not.
    Be Not Afraid.