Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Remove Hate Radio from our Armed Forces Radio 
    babylonsister (141,074 posts)

Remove Hate Radio from our Armed Forces Radio

Remove Hate Radio from our Armed Forces Radio

By matt okeefe (Contact)

To be delivered to: The United States House of Representatives, The United States Senate, and President Barack Obama
    Remove Hate Radio shows, such as Rush Limbaugh, from our public airwaves. Neither broadcast it, nor advertise it on our Armed Forces Radio.

Radio shows spew hate, bigotry, misogyny, and are truly anti-American. They should not be advertised on, or broadcast on Armed Forces radio. Our young soldiers should not be exposed to that vileness. By broadcasting shows like Rush Limbaugh on our Armed Forces Radio, there is an implied "stamp of approval" for the content, which is the wrong message to send to impressionable young minds. Ban this poison from our public airwaves.
    NEW goal - We need 50,000 signatures
    There are currently 42,165 signatures

http://signon.org/sign/remove-hate-r...b&r_by=2038504
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021487830

Ohhh god here we go again...... I am losing track of how many times they try this.
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

Oh the irony of these posts...

jehop61 (133 posts)
    1. As much as I dislike

The Rushbo, etc, freedom of speech trumps my personal feelings. My only wish is they also offer progressive talk radio, as well. Our troops can figure it out.
    He's starts off dead on. And if he's lurking here, yes they do offer progressive talk radio as well.

lpbk2713 (22,008 posts)
    2. They forfeit their right to free speech with their hate and lies.

They cross the line with no fear of recrimination. They know they are doing wrong
    and they just dare us to do something about it. The time has come to act.
    Pay close attention to this post.

jehop61 (133 posts)
    3. That's how a repub might think.

They want to take away rights because they don't like some of them. Freedom of speech means the right to speak no matter how stupid that speech might be.
    So despite the fact that the guy is arguing to take the right away because he doesn't like what they say, it's Republicans who think like that... Oh jehop... I was almost starting to like you.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Our young soldiers
    When it suits the DUmmie's purposes, our soldiers are young, angelic and in need of protection. In a different conversation, our soldiers are murdering war-mongers who need to be imprisoned.

The unintended consequence of the OP's wish is speech he agrees with would also be taken off AFN. DUmmies are so DUmb.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Oh the irony of these posts...

He's starts off dead on. And if he's lurking here, yes they do offer progressive talk radio as well.

Pay close attention to this post.

So despite the fact that the guy is arguing to take the right away because he doesn't like what they say, it's Republicans who think like that... Oh jehop... I was almost starting to like you.
    My experience on DU is that damned few of them actually believe in freedom of speech, at least on their forums.

Be that as it may, do we know what times and days Rush is on AFN? If it's time adjusted and he plays the same slot in Central Europe that he does in the US, it's difficult to imagine that too many service members are sitting around a radio yucking it up with Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    My experience on DU is that damned few of them actually believe in freedom of speech, at least on their forums.

Be that as it may, do we know what times and days Rush is on AFN? If it's time adjusted and he plays the same slot in Central Europe that he does in the US, it's difficult to imagine that too many service members are sitting around a radio yucking it up with Rush.
    It came on at 6am in Japan, which was right around 4pm stateside, I think. His liberal counterpart came on afterwards, I don't remember who they had then. So AFN actually ended up making it more likely that we'd hear the Liberal talker, since there'd be more folks up and listening at 7-8 then 6-7.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

They generally play two hours of his show, live, and cut the third.

And, you are correct about DU. They are good little Stalinists and will happily censor any dissent, but then, so are most libs. Note that several Democratic members of congress sought to censor Limbaugh on AFN, and Harry Reid trumped up a phony charge against Limbaugh in order to get every Senate Democrat to sign on to a letter demanding that Clear Channel muzzle him. And, let's not forget the number of fabricated or altered stories in the media, and you have a mindset that opposes uncomfortable truths and resorts to lies at its convenience.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    It came on at 6am in Japan, which was right around 4pm stateside, I think. His liberal counterpart came on afterwards, I don't remember who they had then. So AFN actually ended up making it more likely that we'd hear the Liberal talker, since there'd be more folks up and listening at 7-8 then 6-7.
    Not to mention that, unless everyone else is so completely different from my experience, most people who listen to talk radio do so while driving to and from work. Aren't most military personnel on foreign bases pretty much already at work? My dad spent a fair amount of time in Cuba and the Philippines (not to mention the Washington Navy Yard and on ships) and I can't recall him ever talking about sitting around listening to the radio.

My experience with people who like background noise (and trust me I try to limit my experience with such people) is that they like to have music playing. Why anyone would spend hours a day listening to a program that is designed to agitate is beyond me, unless of course they actually do mistake Beck and Rush and Todd and Mark for news programming.

Speaking of deception, please tell me that no one mistakes Amy Goodman, Naomi Klein, Ari Lewis, and the gang at Free Speech Radio, NPR, and Pacifica for news. Say what you want about Jeremiah Wright, but at least he's homegrown.

Not to mention that, unless everyone else is so completely different from my experience, most people who listen to talk radio do so while driving to and from work. Aren't most military personnel on foreign bases pretty much already at work? My dad spent a fair amount of time in Cuba and the Philippines (not to mention the Washington Navy Yard and on ships) and I can't recall him ever talking about sitting around listening to the radio.

My experience with people who like background noise (and trust me I try to limit my experience with such people) is that they like to have music playing. Why anyone would spend hours a day listening to a program that is designed to agitate is beyond me, unless of course they actually do mistake Beck and Rush and Todd and Mark for news programming.

Speaking of deception, please tell me that no one mistakes Amy Goodman, Naomi Klein, Ari Lewis, and the gang at Free Speech Radio, NPR, and Pacifica for news. Say what you want about Jeremiah Wright, but at least he's homegrown.
    I had a roughly 5 minute drive to work in Japan. People who lived off base could have driven as long as 30 minutes, though I don't think the broadcast actually extended that far.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    They generally play two hours of his show, live, and cut the third.

And, you are correct about DU. They are good little Stalinists and will happily censor any dissent, but then, so are most libs. Note that several Democratic members of congress sought to censor Limbaugh on AFN, and Harry Reid trumped up a phony charge against Limbaugh in order to get every Senate Democrat to sign on to a letter demanding that Clear Channel muzzle him. And, let's not forget the number of fabricated or altered stories in the media, and you have a mindset that opposes uncomfortable truths and resorts to lies at its convenience.
    I have mixed feelings about Rush. On the one hand, he rarely says anything which is an outright lie, on the other hand he often uses a truth to mislead. An example of what I am talking about, not actually taken from Rush, would be to declare that the public schools have gone to Hell since official/teacher led school prayer was recognized as unconstitutional. It's true that the two coincide, it's not true or provable that the one caused the other.

During the non-campaign season , which we haven't experienced in several years but even so, Limbaugh often takes a very common sense approach to issues and has a good time with the gaffs of politicians. Unfortunately, he gets a bit carried away during the elections and appears to lose a good deal of his sense of objective humor in favor of the more mean spirited type which appeals to lesser lights like two of our dear friends on this board.

Something I find interesting which I have never seen actually analyzed in print, is how these radio stations support these superstars with the quality of advertiser they attract. I hear very little in the way of mainstream advertising on these programs, and I simply don't believe that Buy Gold, Amway Work From Home, Trinity Christian Credit Repair, Carbonite, survivalist foods, and various identity theft protection schemes pay the kind of advertising revenues that mainstream FM radio attracts.

Rush runs one hour on AFN AM (1110) in Europe 1800-1900 local. All three hours run on what is called the AFN Power Net. It's a new series of audio channels you can hear through your AFN satellite decoder box. On power net IRRC Rush is bracketed by Thom Hartmann and Ed Schultz.

AFN Korea has Rush on the AM freq at 2000 local. Power net times are the same.

AFN also broadcasts shows from NPR...MSNBC...BET (Tavis Smiley)...Mike Malloy and the rest of the MSM Liberal buffet.

The idiots at DU have been trying to pull this crap for the last 7 years now. Made the mistake of responding to a LTE published in Stars and Stripes about this same kind of thing...except then it was calling for more Air America programming. It's how I ended up finding this place.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.