Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1 Has everyone registered to vote? 
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,072
    Just curious if we've got any stragglers out there, or god forbid folks who aren't even planning on voting.

    I'm a bit late going on requesting my absentee ballot. Thankfully Michigan will mail that stuff out as late as election day, so I still have to do it.

    I hope everyone else here plans on casting a ballot this year. I personally don't care which way you do it, just as long as you do it. I always find it annoying when people get so up in arms about things on the interwebs, and then don't even bother doing what they can.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Western MI
    Posts
    2,360
    We have to register in order to vote?













    jk.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.



    Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.
     

  3. #3  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Does anyone know the true history of voter registration? I found one online, but it reads like it was written by Angela Davis.

    to wit:


    The History of Voter Registration in the U.S.
    Voter registration originated in the early 19th century as a method of disenfranchisement. Many states were concerned with the growing number of foreign-born transients participating in local government, and so they developed a system of registration to ensure that these non-citizens could not vote. While this did disenfranchise transients and the foreign-born, many poor citizens were also not included on the voter rolls; they were often not home when the assessors came by, which was typically during the work-day, so they were not included. Many areas that were largely Democratic rebuffed the registration system, because most of the poor, immigrants, and other potentially disenfranchised groups tended to vote Democrat.


    http://archive.fairvote.org/index.php?page=2553
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Zathras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    6,241
    I'm registered as a permenant absentee voter in Cali...just waiting for my ballot to arrive.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf
     

  5. #5  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    I'm registered as a permenant absentee voter in Cali...just waiting for my ballot to arrive.
    I'm not quite sure how the registration works in Michigan. So far I've had to call every election to get my absentee ballot, but I seem to be permaregistered as a voter.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Western MI
    Posts
    2,360
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I'm not quite sure how the registration works in Michigan. So far I've had to call every election to get my absentee ballot, but I seem to be permaregistered as a voter.
    I got an absentee ballot in the mail last week. Never did before, but I'm going to go in person anyway one last time because my 18 yr old daughter has to vote in person.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.



    Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    I'm registered as a permenant absentee voter in Cali...just waiting for my ballot to arrive.
    You and me both!

    Love that permanent absentee thing. All states should have it.
     

  8. #8  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    16,381
    After a trial run in Nevada with some parts of the state they now offer state wide registration online. They are having some issues with our seasonal residents that can only vote for President.

    When I first moved to NV I had issues trying to register to vote. There was an issue with my address (there was more then one legal address) yet I never was notified of the problem. I exchanged a few emails, at first the lady in charge said she did not know anything about it, two weeks later when it was too late to reregister..she knew all about it. I even paid her a visit in person.

    The good news is the lady lost the next election and her 100k plus salary from our county...she was a bitch.

    I use early voting. It's quick and easy. I also help my mom fill out her sample ballot. She usually votes the exact way that I do...
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 10-07-2012 at 03:13 PM.
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Does anyone know the true history of voter registration? I found one online, but it reads like it was written by Angela Davis.

    to wit:


    The History of Voter Registration in the U.S.
    Voter registration originated in the early 19th century as a method of disenfranchisement. Many states were concerned with the growing number of foreign-born transients participating in local government, and so they developed a system of registration to ensure that these non-citizens could not vote. While this did disenfranchise transients and the foreign-born, many poor citizens were also not included on the voter rolls; they were often not home when the assessors came by, which was typically during the work-day, so they were not included. Many areas that were largely Democratic rebuffed the registration system, because most of the poor, immigrants, and other potentially disenfranchised groups tended to vote Democrat.


    http://archive.fairvote.org/index.php?page=2553
    Is that true? (It rings true, considering the anti-Irish and anti-Chinese feeling in this country during the 19th century, not to mention the overwhelming prejudices against Jews and Italians in the 20th.)
     

  10. #10  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,895
    I've voted in every election since I became eligible so no need to register.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •