Thread: Has everyone registered to vote?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I've voted in every election since I became eligible so no need to register.
    I remember a few years back when moving I had a heck of a time signing up to vote. The only place was the courthouse and they were miles away and had limited hours. Finally two counties teamed up and took registrations at a local shopping mall

It always sucked when I moved, trying to register until I found a lady that let me do it by email. This started about 25 years ago, the email helped out about 15 years ago...now it seems so much easier. All is well.

In the early days I would have to take time off from work to register to vote, then I became a registar for the IL-NRA that helped.

Yes, I am. I also got a survey call yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Does anyone know the true history of voter registration? I found one online, but it reads like it was written by Angela Davis.

to wit:

The History of Voter Registration in the U.S.
    Voter registration originated in the early 19th century as a method of disenfranchisement. Many states were concerned with the growing number of foreign-born transients participating in local government, and so they developed a system of registration to ensure that these non-citizens could not vote. While this did disenfranchise transients and the foreign-born, many poor citizens were also not included on the voter rolls; they were often not home when the assessors came by, which was typically during the work-day, so they were not included. Many areas that were largely Democratic rebuffed the registration system, because most of the poor, immigrants, and other potentially disenfranchised groups tended to vote Democrat.

http://archive.fairvote.org/index.php?page=2553
    Good grief, what bullshit stupidity. Another ludicrous appeal to emotion over a very factual situation.

If people didn't register to vote, how would anyone know what is their proper voting district? How would you know who your representative is unless it was determined what your address was?

God Almighty, this stuff gets stupider by the day, I swear.

No, voter registration is not yet some other evil Republican ploy to prevent Democrats from voting. Thanks for proving what a bullshit "argument" that whole meme is, though. Sheesh.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Yes, I have all my ancestors registered too.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Yes, I have all my ancestors registered too.
    Planning on voting the Democratic way? Because the Democrats have the dead vote locked up....

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I've voted in every election since I became eligible so no need to register.
    Same here. Just got my new registration card in the mail a couple of weeks ago.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I've been registered to vote since I turned 18 and have voted in every election ever since then. Except primaries-I didn't realize until 1988 that you didn't have to be officially a member of a party to vote in them, so I missed the 84 primaries. I probably would have voted for Gary Hart, if I had voted in the 84 primaries.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I've been registered to vote since I turned 18 and have voted in every election ever since then. Except primaries-I didn't realize until 1988 that you didn't have to be officially a member of a party to vote in them, so I missed the 84 primaries. I probably would have voted for Gary Hart, if I had voted in the 84 primaries.
    That's OK. I'm pretty sure he didn't miss your vote.

Voted in every general election since '60 except '88 when I was in the middle of a transfer and didn't have the required residency in CO.

Only voted absentee when I was in the Air Force.
    http://allenbwest.com/
    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg
    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Voted in every general election since '60 except '88 when I was in the middle of a transfer and didn't have the required residency in CO.

Only voted absentee when I was in the Air Force.
    I've only ever voted absentee... I was active duty before I was even legally old enough to vote. Funny how that works.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.