Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The arguments are on October 29th. I'll be waiting to hear.

The case stems from Supap Kirtsaeng’s college experience. A native of Thailand, Kirtsaeng came to America in 1997 to study at Cornell University. When he discovered that his textbooks, produced by Wiley, were substantially cheaper to buy in Thailand than they were in Ithaca, N.Y., he rallied his Thai relatives to buy the books and ship them to him in the United States.

He then sold them on eBay, making upward of $1.2 million, according to court documents.

Wiley, which admitted that it charged less for books sold abroad than it did in the United States, sued him for copyright infringement. Kirtsaeng countered with the first-sale doctrine.

In August 2011, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit upheld a lower court’s ruling that anything that was manufactured overseas is not subject to the first-sale principle. Only American-made products or “copies manufactured domestically” were.

“That’s a non-free-market capitalistic idea for something that’s pretty fundamental to our modern economy,” Ammori commented.
    First, Wiley (and other text book manufacturers) are evil incarnate and text book sales are a racket. I'm all for students finding ways around their paralyzing pricing schemes and their "new editions" that are often not significantly different from the old ones.

Second, this "first sale" issue should apply globally. No company should have the power to control your property after you buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I don't know what "Jarts" are.
    It took you longer to type that reply than it would have to just look it up. But why bother when you can just condescend.
    Be Not Afraid.

When my inlaws were selling their house, my wife and I were cleaning out their garage. We found TWO jarts sets in very good condition in their original boxes. We still play with them and they seem unbreakable..

On a downside with the jarts, my oldest son can now whistle out of the blowhole in the top of his head.
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

Who gives a shit about Jarts? We are talking about not selling items we have bought or we would have to give a cut to the maker of said product. Focus people, don't be distracted by the shiny thing
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

You know, you're absolutely

OMG....SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Who gives a shit about Jarts? We are talking about not selling items we have bought or we would have to give a cut to the maker of said product. Focus people, don't be distracted by the shiny thing
    Did you get hit over the head right before you made that post? Here's you six hours earlier:

Yes and they tend to give love and affection two things that would probably make you catch fire.
    Sounds like someone that is distracted and/or lost focus.
    Be Not Afraid.

THANK YOU!!!

Back on topic, people!

Quote Originally Posted by newshutr View Post
    You know, you're absolutely

OMG....SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!
    Just die already....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I don't know what "Jarts" are.
    Put into context, for the snob-in-you... Badmiton (don;t you eveni KNOW allreddy)weighted with a sherman tank on the front of it.....

Ya jus no sheeshs chummpin on teh byte.....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

This actually has basis in the DMCA -- the Clinton-era law I frequently rant about.