Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 The Texas solution 
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Be careful, Retread! 0bama spelled backwards is Lincoln!!
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Reb View Post
    Be careful, Retread! 0bama spelled backwards is Lincoln!!
    I thought Obama spelled backwards was Amabo

Adverb

amabo

1. Please. (Short for amābō tē.) Vide, amabo, num sit domi. Please see if he is at home.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

If Texas wants to leave the USA, I say let them go. If they still want a fight, well, a naval blockade of the Texas Gulf Coast will keep them from getting an independent economy going. Additionally, they will be paying for the cost of their seniors, since there will be no more Social Security checks and no more Medicare services given to citizens of the Republic of Texas.

Within 6 months, they'll be begging to get back in the union.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    If Texas wants to leave the USA, I say let them go. If they still want a fight, well, a naval blockade of the Texas Gulf Coast will keep them from getting an independent economy going. Additionally, they will be paying for the cost of their seniors, since there will be no more Social Security checks and no more Medicare services given to citizens of the Republic of Texas.

There are expatriates all over the world receiving Soc Sec checks & medicare services. Seniors of the Republic of Texas would continue to receive those benefits.

As far as an independent economy According to U.S. Department of Commerce estimates, Texas’s GDP (gross domestic product) was $1.14 trillion. And that ranks Texas as the world’s 14th largest economy in 2009.Since the 1970s, Texas has ranked in the high teens, generally not going below 15th, except in 1974 when it was the 16th biggest economy. In the middle 1980s and from 1999 to 2002, Texas was ranked in the top 10, at number 10.

The economy of Texas is one of the largest and most rapidly growing economies in the United States. As of 2011, Texas is home to six of the top 50 companies on the Fortune 500 list and 51 overall, (third most after New York and California).[ The Texas economy is the second largest in the nation and the 15th largest in the world based on GDP (nominal) figures. As the largest exporter of goods in the United States, Texas currently grosses more than $100 billion a year in trade with other nations. In 2011, Texas had a gross state product of $1.332 trillion,the second highest in the U.S.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Its a union. if they really want a divorce, let them. Just make it pass by 2/3 on a state-wide voter referendum or something. Obviously it's not like the governor will issue an executive order "oh by the way, we're a country now." But if citizens of Texas want to leave the union... I don't see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

So, you advocate military action against fellow Americans? Is that you Janet Reno? Is that you disHonest Abe?
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Reb View Post
    So, you advocate military action against fellow Americans? Is that you Janet Reno? Is that you disHonest Abe?
    If they leave to create their own country, they're no longer Americans. They'd be Texans.

Not that it matters. Leaving the union is not legal. Despite popular belief, there is no such clause that allows Texas special consideration over any of the other 49 states.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    If they leave to create their own country, they're no longer Americans. They'd be Texans.
    American is a continent; not a country. They would still be Americans. They would not be citizens of the United States.

Either way, like noonie, would you be an advocate of military action against your former fellow citizens of the US if Texas or any other state(s) were to decide to withdraw from the US and seek their own place in the world and, if so, why?

Not that it matters. Leaving the union is not legal.
    I recommend that you read, A Constitutional History of Secession by John Remington Graham. Or, if you don't like reading, perhaps you can show us where in the Constitution that secession is illegal/unconstitutional.

Despite popular belief, there is no such clause that allows Texas special consideration over any of the other 49 states.
    They don't need a special clause and once you read the above recommended book you'll know why.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

https://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ref/abou...20aug1866.html

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/htm...4_0700_ZO.html

Presidential Proclamation that declares it illegal, as well as the Supreme Court also saying so not long afterwards.

Anyone can write what they want about it but the law is the law, and until it is overturned that is how it is.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.