Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post

Anyone can write what they want about it but the law is the law, and until it is overturned that is how it is.
    BTW, you never did answer one of my questions: would you advocate military action by the United States against a state or states that peacefully separated from the United States and, if so, why?
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Reb View Post
    They most certainly will be Americans just like Southerners in the Confederate States of America were Americans.
    In the case of the Confederacy, it would have to have played out to see who would get to keep the traditional short form of "American". It would be confusing for both citizens of the Union and citizens of a free and independent post-war CSA to call themselves Americans, as it would now if the Canadians and Mexicans insisted on being called Americans.

However if Texas and Texas alone secedes, then it would be safe to guess that they will be called Texans. They seem quite proud of that designation, to a degree simply not found in most other states.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    If that is what you think then it's probably the best idea in this decade.
    I also think it would be a disaster for you to cut off your right foot (assuming you have one, if not I apologize and you may truncate any other of your appendages).

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    In the case of the Confederacy, it would have to have played out to see who would get to keep the traditional short form of "American". It would be confusing for both citizens of the Union and citizens of a free and independent post-war CSA to call themselves Americans, as it would now if the Canadians and Mexicans insisted on being called Americans.

However if Texas and Texas alone secedes, then it would be safe to guess that they will be called Texans. They seem quite proud of that designation, to a degree simply not found in most other states.
    I'm a South Carolinian but I'm also an American. Same with Californian, Floridian and even Texan whether they are part of the United States or not.

As for seeing how things would have played out if Southern secession were successful it's my opinion that the north would have rapidly fallen into a communist dictatorship and would simply have referred to themselves as "comrade".
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Reb View Post
    So, you advocate military action against fellow Americans? Is that you Janet Reno? Is that you disHonest Abe?

Only if they fire first.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Only if they fire first.
    Exactly what did you mean by this statement from your post #4?:

"If Texas wants to leave the USA, I say let them go. If they still want a fight, well, a naval blockade of the Texas Gulf Coast will keep them from getting an independent economy going."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ