Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Reb View Post
    American is a continent; not a country. They would still be Americans. They would not be citizens of the United States.
    You sound like a Mexican "immigrant rights" guy. American is the term for a citizen of the United States of America, as Mexican is the term for a citizen of the United States Of Mexico. Canadians are Canadians and Cubans are Cubans; and so it goes with the other countries of North America.

If Texas secedes, they will be Texans and North Americans; but they will no longer be Americans.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    https://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ref/abou...20aug1866.html

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/htm...4_0700_ZO.html

Presidential Proclamation that declares it illegal, as well as the Supreme Court also saying so not long afterwards.

Anyone can write what they want about it but the law is the law, and until it is overturned that is how it is.
    If a people and a state cannot secede then the premise of our society is false, is it not? How are we better than the East Germans if we hold a state against its will?

Mind you, I hope there is no secession for the same reason I oppose teaching school in Spanish, allowing parts of the US to become culturally over run and isolated and the eventual demand for "autonomous regions" that these failures would bring about. We have only to look to Spain and the Philippines to see what "autonomous regions" can come to mean and the menace they promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    If a people and a state cannot secede then the premise of our society is false, is it not? How are we better than the East Germans if we hold a state against its will?

Mind you, I hope there is no secession for the same reason I oppose teaching school in Spanish, allowing parts of the US to become culturally over run and isolated and the eventual demand for "autonomous regions" that these failures would bring about. We have only to look to Spain and the Philippines to see what "autonomous regions" can come to mean and the menace they promise.
    I'm not arguing if it's right or wrong. I'm arguing the letter of the law. And that law says it cannot be done.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Fabulous Poster
    I'm not arguing if it's right or wrong. I'm arguing the letter of the law. And that law says it cannot be done.
    Interesting read:

http://www.texassecede.com/faq.htm

BTW, I think that if Texas were to secede it would be a disaster for both Texas and the US.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    There are expatriates all over the world receiving Soc Sec checks & medicare services. Seniors of the Republic of Texas would continue to receive those benefits.

[SIZE=3][FONT=times new roman]As far as an independent economy According to U.S. Department of Commerce estimates, Texas’s GDP (gross domestic product) was $1.14 trillion. And that ranks Texas as the world’s 14th largest economy in 2009.Since the 1970s, Texas has ranked in the high teens, generally not going below 15th, except in 1974 when it was the 16th biggest economy. [COLOR=#000000]In the middle 1980s and from 1999 to 2002, Texas was ranked in the top 10, at number 10.
    I think that there are more than a couple of scenarios which could play out in an Independent Texas. We might think that many loyal Americans, particularly military retirees would leave. There would be some considerable concern that the Reconquistas would see an opportunity in Texas and it would attract even more illegal aliens and militant fake Americans of Mexican identity and allegiance. On the other hand, it might draw people from all over the US who want to live in a state which respects the Second Amendment. It might draw a huge white separatist population from all over the US, and ultimately lead to a race and culture war within Texas as many would see it as the white homeland despite its considerable black and off-white population.

I think that there are more than a couple of scenarios which could play out in an Independent Texas. We might think that many loyal Americans, particularly military retirees would leave.
    More than likely most would stay, for many of the same reasons they stayed upon retirement.

There would be some considerable concern that the Reconquistas would see an opportunity in Texas and it would attract even more illegal aliens and militant fake Americans of Mexican identity and allegiance.
    To a Free and Independent Texas perhaps. To reclaim something they feel rightfully theirs perhaps but historically not a very successful track record in that regard. They'd be better off in California

On the other hand, it might draw people from all over the US who want to live in a state which respects the Second Amendment.

It might draw a huge white separatist population from all over the US, and ultimately lead to a race and culture war within Texas as many would see it as the white homeland despite its considerable black and off-white population.
    No more so than any other state. They would be better off in California and/or New York.

Also reference Uncle teddy above.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Exit 9th and 10th Amendments, why not Texas?
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

I think that if Texas were to secede it would be a disaster for both Texas and the US.

If that is what you think then it's probably the best idea in this decade.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    You sound like a Mexican "immigrant rights" guy. American is the term for a citizen of the United States of America, as Mexican is the term for a citizen of the United States Of Mexico. Canadians are Canadians and Cubans are Cubans; and so it goes with the other countries of North America.

If Texas secedes, they will be Texans and North Americans; but they will no longer be Americans.

They most certainly will be Americans just like Southerners in the Confederate States of America were Americans.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    You didn't post any laws. A president can't make law with a proclamation. And that Texas v White travesty that you posted is also not law. (If you'll read the book that I recommended you'll understand why.)

Now, show us where in the Constitution secession is illegal.
    Last edited by Unreconstructed Reb; 10-14-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ