#1 Florida Man, 32, Dies Shortly After Winning Pet Store's Roach Eating Contest10-08-2012, 11:57 PM
A Florida man died Friday night after consuming "dozens of roaches and worms" during a contest held by a pet store, police report.
Edward Archbold, 32, collapsed after winning the repulsive contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store. Archbold, who was competing for a free python, was stricken outside the Deerfield Beach business, according to the Broward County Sheriff's Office.
Investigators reported that Archbold "wasn’t feeling well and began to regurgitate" shortly after the contest's conclusion. "He had consumed dozens of roaches and worms," a sheriff’s spokesman noted.
Archbold was pronounced dead after being transported to an area hospital. An autopsy was conducted, and the Broward County medical examiner is awaiting test results to determined Archbold's cause of death.
Archbold is pictured above in a mug shot taken in 2004, following his arrest for disorderly conduct and indecent exposure (for which he was convicted).
The roach eating contest was part of the reptile store's October 5 "Midnight Madness" sale. Contestants had four minutes to devour the most discoid roaches, which can grow up to three inches long. "Oh yeah, any vomiting is an automatic DQ," the store cautioned in a Facebook post prior to the revolting competition.
Another promotional piece referred to the upcoming event as "the soon to be infamous 'Eat Bugs For Balls Contest.'" The python for which Archbold competed is known to curl up into a ball as a defensive reaction.
In a Facebook update yesterday, the store stated that, "Although we just met Eddie the night of the sale, we all liked him right away. All of us here at Ben Siegel Reptiles are sad that we will not get to know Eddie better, for in the short time we knew him, he was very well liked by all."
Asked about the python won by Archbold, the store reported on its Facebook page that, "The snake is being held in his name and is full property of his estate."
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/...roaches-587314The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
10-09-2012, 12:12 AM
They weren't deep-fried??It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
Originally Posted by Carol
10-09-2012, 12:14 AM
- Join Date
- Mar 2010
Speaking of sick and weird..
Yesterday my son in law gave birth to a botfly maggot. He had what we all thought was a boil or abscess on his arm. But we were all on vacation in Florida, so he just stayed out of the water because it was weeping. Yesterday morning he went to change the dressing and came down to report that a lump had formed and was bulging out of the skin. One of the women is a nurse, so she went over to look.
She didn't know what it was but said she was sure it had to come out so the wound could be cleaned. Paper towel, a little squeeze, and out pops a maggot, which as far as maggots go, was huge. About 1/2 inch long. wiggling around on the counter.
We saved it, looked it up, and identified it as a botfly, which makes sense because he just got back from a trip to Africa about 3 weeks ago. He won't be going back.
10-09-2012, 01:21 AM
- Join Date
- Mar 2010
I saw a movie once where this girl escapes from someone into the jungle in South America. She has a terrible time, and is then found by some kind of guerilla soldiers who take her to their camp. After resting a bit, she breaks into a screaming fit digging at her back. The guerillas know what they problem is, and one holds her down while the other one washes her back with gasoline, which causes these nasty worms to come up through her skin. The special effects are pretty well done, and the removal of the worms is disgusting.
10-09-2012, 09:40 AM
I wondering why someone in south Florida would do all that for a python. All he needed to do was go in to the Everglades and catch one. It probably about as safe as eating roaches.
Last edited by FlaGator; 10-09-2012 at 10:01 AM.“For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.
To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?”
2 Corinthians 2:15-16
10-09-2012, 09:56 AM
I know I'm a big government liberal and everything, but there really should be a law against a contest like that. There probably is a law against it in most states.
I wonder if they still get kids to swallow live goldfish at Young Life club meetings, or if that practice has been banned. Although, that is probably safer than eating cockroaches.
- Join Date
- Mar 2010
10-09-2012, 04:54 PM
I wonder if the Darwin Awards will get a hold of this.I think that black lesbian couples should be allowed to protect themselves from gangsta thugs, Islamic terrorists, and KKK members with guns.
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|