Thread: Mom Glued Toddler's Hands to Wall and Beat Her Over Potty Training

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    They should have crazy-glued her knees together to prevent repeat offences.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Good people sometimes raise kids who turn out to be drug addicts and lunatics. We'd look at the overall picture-did the mom's siblings turn out okay? Do the grandparents have a relationship with their grandchildren and what is that relationship like? Were the grandparents aware of the abuse that was occurring and did they try to stop it? We've had a central registry for all abuse cases since the 70s, so we can check out own database on the grandparents and see if they had a record with us. We do criminal record checks on all relatives before placing kids in their care (although the police sometimes make initial custody decisions before we are involved, as they are sometimes the first agency to respond, especially in sever abuse cases).

What Jersey said about his state wasting money to reunite children with abusive parents is sad. Michigan reformed our laws in the 90s, but when I was hired in the late 80s, we were still doing that. Now, any abuse that causes life-threatening injury or the death of a child is automatic grounds to terminate parental rights. If the court terminates rights on one child, the prior termination is grounds to terminate the rights of any future children born to or fathered by that parent. These are not cases of minor bruises, or slight marks from hands or belts, but broken bones, intentional burns, sexual abuse, head injuries, choking, and anything that severely threatens the life or health of a child.

Some states haven't made those reforms yet. My brother works in Ohio in a related field and although they have a better overall computer system than we have (we are getting it in 2013), they don't have a central registry in their state to do a statewide check of people's CPS records. That makes it really easy for someone who beat their kids in one county to get a job in a daycare center 3 counties over.

'
    I don't think I'd be able to do your job. But, I am glad that there are people out there like you who do.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Good people sometimes raise kids who turn out to be drug addicts and lunatics. We'd look at the overall picture-did the mom's siblings turn out okay? Do the grandparents have a relationship with their grandchildren and what is that relationship like? Were the grandparents aware of the abuse that was occurring and did they try to stop it? We've had a central registry for all abuse cases since the 70s, so we can check out own database on the grandparents and see if they had a record with us. We do criminal record checks on all relatives before placing kids in their care (although the police sometimes make initial custody decisions before we are involved, as they are sometimes the first agency to respond, especially in sever abuse cases).

'
    Thanks for the answer on this. I appreciate it. It gives me a better understanding of how decisions are made.

They only gave her 99 years? I would have given her the death penalty. You do not hurt a innocent child!

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _