Thread: Evolution

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    I'll give you a hint. Genesis wasn't written in English. Do you know which Hebrew word used?
    I'm assuming you are referring to Yom, which has three differant meanings. A 12 hour period, 24 hour period, or an indefinite period. Shall we roll a D3 to figure out which one they meant?

Seriously though, I don't give a damn about this, I'm long past my days of arguing this stuff. I was just bored and felt like stirring the pot a bit.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Even time as we know it is subject to interpretation when it comes to the Bible. I mean, did Adam really live to be over 600? Noah over 800? Methuselah over 900? Especially given that people of that time rarely lived beyond 30.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I'm assuming you are referring to Yom, which has three differant meanings. A 12 hour period, 24 hour period, or an indefinite period. Shall we roll a D3 to figure out which one they meant?

Seriously though, I don't give a damn about this, I'm long past my days of arguing this stuff. I was just bored and felt like stirring the pot a bit.
    It's the word used for "age" or "epoch." There are other, more common words for 'day.' Just sayin'

I believe in devolution, the total break down and decay of everything.

Have a nice day, what's left of it anyway.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Do you really want to go here? Really? Why?

Also... how much of this is a quoted article, and how much is your own logic/reasoning?

I posted a lot of quotes because I think they can explain things better than I can.

In my own words.....

Evolution is about changes within a species. After a long time, these changes can be so great that the species has permanent changes. An example might be giraffs. If there were short necked ones who couldn't reach the trees, then it's fair to say that the ones with long necks would outlive the others.

I don't see how people can deny the evidence of evolution in light of medical science. We use our knowledge in evolution (mutations, surviving bacteria, etc) to come up with treatments.

Creation "science" not only denies Darwin's theory of evolution, but it claims that the earth is only about six thousand years old. We have fossils that prove otherwise.

As for my posting it here, I do not believe that every last conservative believes completely in creation science.
    Last edited by Lanie; 10-10-2012 at 02:49 PM.

If evolution was occurring Linda numbers would have told us, she would have noticed it happening.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Here's some evolution I can believe in.

This:

Evolves into this:

Proven scientific fact.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I'll field this one for shits and giggles.

I'm pretty sure that when God created the universe, he paid no attention at all to the amount of time it took. An omnipresent, omniscient being, I'd imagine time had very little meaning to him.

Now, to the man who wrote the story down, after an unknown number of generations verbally handed the story down (well maybe it's known, I never read the entirety of Genesis), the meaning of day was quite clear. A 24 hour period, or one sunrise to the next. Genesis (and all the other books in the Bible) was written by man, using terms that man knows and relates to. If we are to say that the 7 days is not to refer to a one week period, hence the establishment of Sunday and all that jazz, does not actually refer to a set timeframe, then how is the rest of the story of creation to be taken seriously when it could all just mean something else?

Jesus specifically told people in the Bible that he used parables because people did not understand heavenly things. Who is to say that it's not being used for some of the old testament? The moral of Genesis is supposed to be that God created the world and mankind. That's what people should get out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    If there were short necked ones who couldn't reach the trees, then it's fair to say that the ones with long necks would outlive the others.
    What is causing giraffes to evolve to have longer necks in the first place? Random mutations? If this were true, where is the fossil evidence of all the freaks of nature that never survive. Because, you know, if it's random then where's the giraffe with longer legs, or a longer tail, longer teeth, and so forth. Think about it. random mutations. Seems unlikely we'd be alive at all.

Because you know we have random mutations all the time. It's called cancer. We don't call cancer survivors "super-evolved humans"

I don't see how people can deny the evidence of evolution in light of medical science. We use our knowledge in evolution (mutations, surviving bacteria, etc) to come up with treatments.
    I was just reading an article about how modern birds evolved from a dinosaur offshoot. Also, dinosaurs probably were warm blooded and had feathers. So basically if true, every theory about dinosaur evolution that I learned in school 20-25 years ago was just completely dead wrong. It's not like they didn't have a fossil record 20-25 years ago. But this time they got it right. Right?

Creation "science" not only denies Darwin's theory of evolution, but it claims that the earth is only about six thousand years old. We have fossils that prove otherwise.
    Is it your position that everyone who denies Darwin's theory of evolution, also denies genetic expression and also believes the earth is six thousand years old? Because it sounds like you are saying "the earth is not 6000 years old therefore Darwin's Theory of Evolution is correct." By that logic I could say "Sandra Fluke should pay for her own birth control, therefore Global Warming is junk science."
    Last edited by m00; 10-10-2012 at 03:08 PM.

What is causing giraffes to evolve to have longer necks in the first place? Random mutations? If this were true, where is the fossil evidence of all the freaks of nature that never survive. Because, you know, if it's random then where's the giraffe with longer legs, or a longer tail, longer teeth, and so forth. Think about it. random mutations. Seems unlikely we'd be alive at all.
    I do question the random part. There are fossils of extinct animals.

However, let's put it another way. Suppose your cat gives birth to kittens. You have three gray kittens and two yellow kittens. This probably happened because gray is dominant over yellow. Now, suppose one of the yellow kittens is very sick and is a runt. You try to feed it to get it to health, but it dies. So now, you have three gray kittens and one yellow kitten. The gray is being passed on more than the yellow. Therefore, you'll see more gray cats come from that litter.

I was just reading an article about how modern birds evolved from a dinosaur offshoot. Also, dinosaurs now probably were warm blooded and had feathers. So basically if true, every theory about dinosaur evolution that I learned in school 20-25 years ago was just completely dead wrong. But this time they got it right. Right?
    Science is a continuous study.

Is it your position that everyone who denies Darwin's theory of evolution, also denies genetic expression and also believes the earth is six thousand years old? Because it sounds like you are saying "the earth is not 6000 years old therefore Darwin's Theory of Evolution is correct." By that logic I could say "Sandra Fluke should pay for her own birth control, therefore Global Warming is junk science."
    I apologize for not making myself more clear. I don't believe that people believe either one or the other.