Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 McCain camp uses the word spear - must be a racial slur 
    ishaLA Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    Tue Sep-23-08 03:25 PM
    Original message

McCain Campaign "Tired of Catching Spears."

The McCain campaign is gearing up to criticize Senator Obama for his past associations with the Reverend Jeremiah Wright and a former Weather Underground operative, William Ayers, in the home stretch of the presidential race.

The McCain campaign, according to one aide, decided it would play the Wright and Ayers cards after Mr. Obama's campaign ran ads linking Senator McCain to a talk radio host, Rush Limbaugh. "Our position is we are no longer going to feel constrained to avoid his very real associations in contrast to the very fictional associations he has imputed to John McCain in this campaign," this aide said.

The Wall Street Journal on September 19 quoted one of Mr. McCain's top aides, Mark Salter, as saying the campaign was "tired of catching spears." He also said, "They played it one way, we played it another way. Now we're both going to play it the same way."
    The Fascist NY Sun

I realize that "catching spears" is a metaphor, but it strikes me as one that is intentionally provocative and racialized. How close to the edge is the McCain campaign going to get? When will they go over the edge?

DesertedRose
    Tue Sep-23-08 03:26 PM
    Response to Original message
    2. Bastards.

Of COURSE it's racialized.
    phantom power
    Tue Sep-23-08 03:26 PM
    3. Wow, there's some racist dogwhistling.
    babylonsister
    Tue Sep-23-08 03:27 PM
    6. Can that expression be any more obvious? These guys
    have already been called on their bullshit; this will not help.
    The DUmmies have been ridiculous in their attempts to race-bait, but this is over the top, even for them. Now we can't use the word "spear".

Only when used in conjunction with the word "chucker." ;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

gator
    Wasn't Obama's father a card carrying "spear chucker"?

I mean he was from Africa, wasn't he?

I suspect Obama's half brother has a spear or two in his little African hut.

When Obama made his famous "lipstick on a pig" comment, which I believe was deliberately aimed at Palin, there were those here who came to his side and said, "what's all the fuss, it's an often used, innocuous statement"?, "You folks are just overreacting."
    I said, imagine if McCain had used a similar type of statement, like "let's call a spade, a spade", the demon libs would be wetting themselves all over it. Well, this is close, and, they certainly are.
    Last edited by Lager; 09-23-2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post

I mean he was from Africa, wasn't he?

I suspect Obama's half brother has a spear or two in his little African hut.

Oh shit, Dude.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!! I'm laughing and laughing! THank you, Gator, for the great laugh!!

YES, Obama's runaround daddy and half brother are spear chuckers. I'm sure that there are bunches of half brothers and sisters all over the place who are spear chuckers as well.
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Only when used in conjunction with the word "chucker." ;)
    The DUmmies are freaking out over the word "spear". The McCain camp said to the effect that their opponenet is throwing spears, nobody said anything close to "spear chuckers" (except a couple people here). Last month I recall somebody in the Obama camp saying McCain was throwing spears at them. Not racist then, but racist now - what a load of BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilise View Post
    Not racist then, but racist now - what a load of BS.
    Yeah, we know - but funny anyway.;)

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-gra...-spear-chucker
    Bob Schieffer referred to Biden as Obama's spear thrower.

Not to destroy the racist crap or anything...but my brothers, who are both definitely white, have loved spear fishing for decades now. Yes, believe it or not, WHITE people can spear!!! :eek::eek:
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.