Hybrid View

1. #1 Laughing All the Way to the Bank Collapse 
    Link
    By Mark Steyn
    October 12, 2012 7:43 A.M.
    In this space a while back, I reprised a favorite Paul Ryan moment:
    At the House Budget Committee on Thursday, Chairman Paul Ryan produced another chart, this time from the Congressional Budget Office, with an even steeper straight line showing debt rising to 900 percent of GDP and rocketing off the graph circa 2075. America’s treasury secretary, Timmy Geithner the TurboTax Kid, thought the chart would have been even more hilarious if they’d run the numbers into the next millennium: “You could have taken it out to 3000 or to 4000” he chortled, to supportive titters from his aides. Has total societal collapse ever been such a non-stop laugh riot?

“Yeah, right.” replied Ryan. “We cut it off at the end of the century because the economy, according to the CBO, shuts down in 2027 on this path.”

The U.S. economy shuts down in 2027? Had you heard about that?
    We could have used something like that last night. Once it became clear Joe Biden was going to respond to every serious Ryan point by dialing the smirk up another notch, the congressman should have thrown it back at him — on Libya, Iranian nukes, debt, or any of the other stuff Joe was yukking it up about. “I’m glad the vice president finds Medicare insolvency so funny. It’s not so funny if you’re the average American man, woman or child, whose share of the total debt is $185,000 and rising. But I guess if you’re inside the vice-presidential motorcade looking out it’s a real thigh-slapper, isn’t it? This may be a joke to you, Mr. Vice President, but it’s deadly serious to the millions of young Americans whose future you spent.” Etc.

Ryan isn’t a funny guy. But, when you’re earnest and a bit wonky and up against a smarmy third-rate lounge-act flashing his dentistry, you don’t have to be funny. A bit of righteous indignation would have helped.

An opportunity missed.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

I think Ryan might have been stunned and put off-balance by Biden's flippant jackassery. I know I was. Maybe that's why Biden did that. How do you come up with an effective response to such behavior on the fly that doesn't involve bitchslapping?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    I think Ryan might have been stunned and put off-balance by Biden's flippant jackassery. I know I was. Maybe that's why Biden did that. How do you come up with an effective response to such behavior on the fly that doesn't involve bitchslapping?
    If you case is strong argue the facts, if your case is mediocre argue the law, if your case is weak attack the other side.

or......

"If you can't argue the facts, argue the law, if you can't argue the facts or the law, blow smoke."

The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    Ryan's been in DC long enough to be very familiar with Biden's asshattery but he did miss an excellent chance to make Bitme even more the fool than he's repeatedly demonstrated over the years.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ