1. #1 And for my 1000th Post... (hope this isn't against the rules) 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sun Oct 14, 2012, 11:47 PM
    Grown2Hate

And for my 1000th Post... (hope this isn't against the rules)

I'd like to make it a two-parter. First, I'd like to introduce myself. I mainly only started paying attention to politics since just a little after September 11th, and delved in DEEPLY after the Iraq Invasion (I've IMMERSED myself ever since, going back as far as possible and learning whatever I could). If I remember my political evolution correctly, I first stumbled on to Bartcop and then soon after discovered DU. I've been mostly a lurker for the last 8 years or so (as is evidenced by the fact that I am just NOW eclipsing the 1000 post mark). But I've had a love affair with DU ever since. Incredibly informative, GREAT discussion (typically, haha), and just an overall oasis in the swill. I am an Arizona Democrat and am ABSOLUTELY THRILLED that we might have this state in play for President Obama this year (and CERTAINLY Carmona is battling for Kyl's Senate seat!). I'm not so good with the door-to-door thing (as an ex-Jehovah's Witness, it gives me panic attacks, LOL) nor the whole phone banking thing, but I will be out on Election Day driving whomever I can to the polls (hell, if you're anywhere in the Phoenix area and need a ride, PM me), and I've given where I could ($100 to President Obama after the convention speech, several shirts here and there which I LOVE to where to the gym and get looks hahaha, and $25 today to the DCCC).

I've never really gotten to know anyone personally on the board, but I've mourned a few losses along the way nonetheless (probably most notably Andy Stephenson and Khephra, whom inspired me greatly and are both still missed TERRIBLY). I've enjoyed some incredible posters (Drunken Irishman, my kindred spirit, FrenchieCat for her never-ending enthusiasm, and n2doc for some EXCELLENT scientific finds/pictures/postings). I refer to myself as "The Thread Killer", however. It seems that if I ever actually want to insert myself into the conversation, that brings it ABRUPTLY to an end.

Overall, I just wanted to use this opportunity to THANK DU. To thank Skinner and EarlG, and EVERYONE ELSE who makes this one of the best goddamn discussion boards on the interwebs.

I want to thank this collective for keeping me armed to the TEETH with facts and figures (as well as with some excellent anecdotes along the way, helping to keep our spirits high). As far as voting is concerned, I've been able to sway at LEAST 3 people from my work, a couple of family members, and my brother in law (a REALLY good kid that feels he's a "conservative" because his parents are, but with a Libertarian lean, Hunter S. Thompson in his heart, and a REALLY GOOD head on his shoulders... he confided in me last weekend after MANY discussions, "Don't tell my girlfriend, because I don't want her gloating about it, but I'm voting for Obama. OBVIOUSLY I'm not voting for Romney, and Gary Johnson is a FUCKING idiot. Anything I need to do to keep that asshole Romney OUT." I consider this my BIGGEST win). I've even swayed a few FB friends. And Biden even gave me more of a backbone than I already had, I think. I was in a discussion with another friend last night, a lifelong Republican with a Libertarian lean (Ron Paul guy), and he started in on me and another Liberal friend of mine about the minimum wage. My friend started countering, "Well, that's not 100% accurate..." and I piped in, "No no no. I'm tired of playing NICE. I'm going to call that mother fucking LIE a MOTHER FUCKING LIE. And HERE'S WHY..." ("mother fucking lie" is Irish for "malarkey", apparently). And that conversation actually ended REALLY well! He's at least abstaining from voting this year (and I'm calling that another win).

Sorry if I was a little long-winded, but I just wanted to put myself out there, thank DU profusely for being my lighthouse in trying times (most notably in 2004... I remember checking thread after thread on November 2nd and 3rd about potential recounts being called for, all to no avail, but at least being able to commiserate through community), as well as being there to celebrate with (I'll never forget 2008, in much the same way as a Red Sox fan I will NEVER forget 2004, ironically enough), and, in general, just for BEING THERE.

Thank you all again. From the bottom of my bleeding heart.

Ryan.
    I don't think the "Collective" realizes when it's being made fun of...
    Love the user name.
    May the FORCE be with you!

niyad (20,163 posts)
    2. DU has helped keep many of us sane this last decade or so, that is for sure. thank you for

your wonderful OP
    Now this is funny. The DUmp is the most insane place on the web. So much so that anyone remotely credible is staying away from it.. They are all a bunch of loony toons who just escaped from Bellevue.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

That whole thread is making me laugh... One guy says that the DUmp is the lifeline of people and the rest are gathering around to have one big circle jerking love fest.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _