1. #1 In-state Tuition for Illegals - Yes...Iraq War Vet - No 
    EXCLUSIVE--The University of North Carolina, which is currently considering giving illegal immigrants in-state tuition benefits, denied an Army sergeant the same break even though she owns a home in the Tar Heel state and only moved away briefly because the military stationed her husband in Texas.

Hayleigh Perez, 26, hoped to use her G.I. Bill to attend the UNC’s Pembroke campus near Fort Bragg, but the young veteran -- who served a 14-month tour in Iraq -- was told she did not qualify as a state resident because she had been gone for about three years.

“I got frustrated. When I tried to inquire, they kept putting up roadblocks,” Perez told FoxNews.com. “It’s just disgraceful that life in Iraq, where you could die, is easier than trying to go to school here.”

Perez enlisted in 2005, and was stationed in Fort Bragg before shipping out to Camp Bucca in Iraq. That's where she met her husband and fellow soldier, Jose Perez-Rodriguez. The pair married and, when their tours ended in 2006, bought their home in Raeford, N.C. They lived there until 2009, when Jose Perez-Rodriguez was assigned to a base in Texas. But they continued paying the mortgage and taxes on the North Carolina property while she accompanied him on his deployment for six months, and Perez has been in North Carolina for the past two years, she said.

Perez was honorably discharged in September 2009, and, after giving birth to daughter Calleigh, and sought to build a post-military career. When her husband won a transfer back to Fort Bragg to rejoin his family, Perez started applying to colleges in the area in hopes of pursuing a master's degree as a physician's assistant. She told FoxNews.com she was accepted to both UNC’s Fayetteville and Pembroke branches and chose Pembroke. But Perez was shocked when UNC-Pembroke officials told her she was not considered an in-state resident, even though the Fayetteville branch said she was. The G.I. Bill Perez hoped to use for school does not cover out-of-state tuition.

"I just figured I could appeal the decision," Perez said. "I thought it would be easy.”

But Perez said the appeal process consisted of appearing before a 15-member panel at the school's vice chancellor’s office, where her request was denied. She said she later learned that the denial was based on the fact that she had not paid income tax in North Carolina in the years in which she was in Iraq and Texas.

“The process was demeaning. They [Pembroke] treated me so poorly I felt like I was a criminal on trial,” she said. “They told me I couldn’t reapply.”

Sgt. Jason Thigpen, founder and president of the Student Veterans Advocacy Group, which is helping Perez make an appeal to the school, said nearly 250,000 other student veterans nationwide have been forced to pay out-of-pocket while using their G.I. Bill due to "adverse and short-sighted changes our federal government made.”

Adding insult to injury, says Thigpen, is the fact the UNC is currently considering granting in-state tuition benefits to illegal immigrants at all 16 of its branches, including Pembroke.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/16...e-considering/
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Pretty shitty how they treat American citizens with civic duty service over the turds coming here for the freebies.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Pretty shitty how they treat American citizens with civic duty service over the turds coming here for the freebies.
    Try living in California and watching it up close.

Fabulous Poster
    Interesting paradox for liberal asshole "Dream Act" fans. A Spanish surnamed American citizen and veteran being denied in state tuition.

Virginia

Military Members, Spouses, and Dependents

To encourage members of the U.S. military to establish Virginia domicile, the one year of continuous domicile is not required for military members and for dependent spouses and children claiming domicile through the military member. To initiate payment of Virginia income taxes, military members should contact their military pay offices. The spouse of a military member may qualify for in-state tuition by establishing Virginia domicile, by claiming dependency on the military member who has established Virginia domicile, or through the military provision [Section 23-7.4(E) of the Code of Virginia]. Non-resident military members may be considered for a reduced tuition rate. If you, your spouse, or parent is a member of the military, contact the institution you are interested in attending for more information.

Maryland

Active Duty Military
    The application fee is waived for active-duty military personnel. In accordance with Maryland law, active-duty military personnel residing in Maryland during their enlistment are entitled to in-state tuition, regardless of their legal residence. Those residing in Howard County during their enlistment are entitled to in-county tuition.

Florida

Florida law specifies that active duty members of the Armed Services residing or stationed in Florida, their spouses, and dependent children, and active members of the Florida National Guard who qualify for the tuition assistance program, are considered residents for tuition purposes. Furthermore, active duty members of the Armed Services and their spouses attending a public community college or state university within 50 miles of the military establishment where they are stationed, if such military establishment is within a county contiguous to Florida are also considered residences for tuition purposes. Also, a person shall not lose his or her resident status for tuition purposes solely by reason of serving, or, if such person is a dependent child, by reason of his or her parent's or parents' serving, in the Armed Forces outside this state.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Try living in California and watching it up close.
    I could see California passing some shit like that, but TEXAS!?

Think about how we felt when they passed that horseshit here!

Everyone was screaming at Perry that no matter how long and how well he sucked on the illegals "tamale", they would never vote Republican.

Since he signed it, I guess he didn’t grasp the inference.
    Give a liberal a fish - he will eat for a day
    Teach a liberal to fish - he will come back tomorrow wanting more free fish!

Fabulous Poster
    But Perez said the appeal process consisted of appearing before a 15-member panel at the school's vice chancellor’s office, where her request was denied. She said she later learned that the denial was based on the fact that she had not paid income tax in North Carolina in the years in which she was in Iraq and Texas.

I would imagine that more in the way of clarification is due. It sounds she may have changed her residency to Texas which she was not required to do. Compare this to the military members working in the DC area who maintain (and are legally entitled to claim) to be residents of Florida or some other state, but are not citizens of their "temporary" place of residence and continue to vote in Florida or Texas. It would be interesting to know where she is registered to vote.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    The article has been corrected. The push for instate for illegals was by a former university president and is no longer being considered.

Further down the article we find the less than outrageous truth:

Worthington defended the school system's record of support for members of the military and said Perez was not denied her right to use her G.I Bill to pay tuition. She said it was a federal law that caps the program's tuition payments at public schools at the highest in-state tuition in a given state, but noted G.I. Bill users can use up to $17,500 at a private institution of higher education.
    Perez, according to Worthington, was responsible for providing the documentation to support her claims for in-state residency and, after failing to, was given the opportunity to appeal the determination to a state committee, which upheld the school's rejection.
    Perez, who started an Internet petition that has garnered support from across the country with nearly 120,000 signatures in just five days, and the Students Veterans Advocacy group intend to sue both the school and the federal government if the school's decision is not reversed.
    “It’s so much larger. This isn’t just about me. It’s for every veteran hitting these roadblocks,” Perez said.
    No matter what happens, Perez said she won't be attending UNC-Pembroke.
    "I’m now attending a private college," she said, declining to name the school. "I don’t want to be associated with an institution that treats veterans this way.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/16...#ixzz29UlcUM6g

So Perez is responding emotionally to a situation which the university actually had no say in.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    So Perez is responding emotionally to a situation which the university actually had no say in.

No. She was still turned down on her request by a board headed up by the Vice Chancellor.

Sounds to me like the school was very much involved. Nice try to spin Nova...still failed.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.