Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Candy Crowley Admits Romney Was Correct About Libya Attack But Simply Couldn’t Stop H 
    Video: Candy Crowley Admits Romney Was Correct About Libya Attack But Simply Couldn’t Stop Herself
    By Matthew Sheffield | October 17, 2012 | 00:51

After embarrassing herself with her incompetently biased attempt to “fact check” GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney during the second presidential debate, CNN correspondent Candy Crowley has already began trying to save her shattered credibility. In a panel discussion afterward, a fast-talking Crowley tried to spin away her offensive conduct by admitting that Romney was indeed correct in casting blame on the Obama Administration for falsely blaming an anti-Islamic video for attacks on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

“It was one of those moments, and I could even feel that here, you know, when you say something you’re not expecting,” Crowley insisted, admitting she simply couldn’t help herself from unprofessionally inserting herself into a heated dispute that Obama and Romney were having. Video and transcript below the fold.

“He was right in the main, I just think he picked the wrong word,” Crowley said, echoing the extremely legalistic reading of the facts about what President Obama meant when he said “acts of terror” in reference to the Benghazi attack.

Knowing that she is facing a tremendous amount of backlash for her outburst, Crowley tried to play down the Libya discussion in the debate, insisting it wasn't really important:

"They’re going to parse and we all know about what the definition of is is, but, I, uh, you know, in the end, I think John [King]’s probably right. I think this has a lot more to with jobs and the debt crisis and all of that kind of stuff.

If her unprofessional conduct had not been so highly visible, Crowley's sad attempts to excuse herself would be amusing since she's almost literally admitted she has a knee-jerk liberal bias. Instead they are only ironic.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/athcyCTnTTs

Full transcript of Crowley's remarks is below:

CANDY CROWLEY: Well, you know, I heard the president speak at the time. I, sort of, reread a lot of stuff about Libya because I knew we’d probably get a Libya question so I kind of wanted to be up on it. So I knew that the president had, had, said, you know, these acts of terror won’t stand or, whatever the whole quote was.

And I think actually, you know because, right after that I did turn around and say, but you’re totally correct that they spent two weeks telling us this was about a tape and that that there was a, you know, this riot outside the Benghazi consulate which there wasn’t.

So he was right in the main, I just think he picked the wrong word. And I, you know, they’re going to parse and we all know about what the definition of is is, but, I, uh, you know, in the end, I think John [King]’s probably right. I think this has a lot more to with jobs and the debt crisis and all of that kind of stuff.

I just think that probably it was one of those moments and I could even feel that here, you know, when you say something you’re not expecting. It’s just that was the natural thing coming out of me going, ‘Actually he did, you know, call it an act of terror.’ Uh, when, you know, half the crowd clapped for that and the other half clapped for ‘But they kept telling us this was a tape, this was caused by a tape’ so, you know, in the main, the thrust of what Governor Romney was saying, which is why I went back and said that, um, but I just think he picked the wrong kind of way to go about talking about it if that makes sense.

About the Author
    Matthew Sheffield is the creator of NewsBusters and president of Dialog New Media, an internet marketing and design firm. Click here to follow Matthew Sheffield on Twitter.

The next time that somebody claims that it doesn't matter if the media is liberal, because they can control their biases, remind them of how Candy Crowley controlled hers.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

One of these days I hope the Republicans will stand up and demand more impartial moderators.

If a moderator who refers to Romney-Ryan as a "death ticket" isn't a big enough clue as to how they will behave as a moderator nothing will make you see it.

And of course Crowley didn't disappoint last night. She didn't try to hide her bias.

And I thought Mitt did quite well in that 2-on-1 ambush :)
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    One of these days I hope the Republicans will stand up and demand more impartial moderators.

If a moderator who refers to Romney-Ryan as a "death ticket" isn't a big enough clue as to how they will behave as a moderator nothing will make you see it.

And of course Crowley didn't disappoint last night. She didn't try to hide her bias.

And I thought Mitt did quite well in that 2-on-1 ambush :)
    It's going to be difficult to get an impartial moderator without sounding whiney. Besides, in a way, having a Democrat moderator works for the Republicans in a way. There is no one who is undecided who did not see what happened last night. Of course if your source of news in The New York Times, you would be a little confused as to what the discussion about Libya was all about anyway.

Want to hear whining? Assign Brett Baier as the moderator. Then you'll hear whining!

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    It's going to be difficult to get an impartial moderator without sounding whiney. Besides, in a way, having a Democrat moderator works for the Republicans in a way. There is no one who is undecided who did not see what happened last night. Of course if your source of news in The New York Times, you would be a little confused as to what the discussion about Libya was all about anyway.

Want to hear whining? Assign Brett Baier as the moderator. Then you'll hear whining!
    That's no lie. Imagine the gnashing of teeth at the announcement that Brit Hume was getting a moderator gig?

In all honesty I could accept someone like Jake Tapper from the MSM pool. Chris Wallace from Fox would be one that most on the left could stomach.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Remember, Crowley made noise before the debate about taking an active role. Carole Simpson, the first town hall moderator in '92, talked about how she basically took orders being given through her ear bud and had no "editorial" function. Crowley, on the other hand, made it clear beforehand that she intended to choose the questions that were asked and ask her own followups. That's not what the town hall is for. She was also a lot more personally aggressive than the other moderators and treated Romney like a recalcitrant kid as he fought for time. (We know Obama got 3 minutes more than Romney last night.)

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    That's no lie. Imagine the gnashing of teeth at the announcement that Brit Hume was getting a moderator gig?

In all honesty I could accept someone like Jake Tapper from the MSM pool. Chris Wallace from Fox would be one that most on the left could stomach.
    Chris Wallace would actually be a decent choice. My fear with a moderator like Hume is that the MSM would spend the entire build-up to the debate trashing him and make him reticent about asking Obama the tough followups that he should.

If you didn't Crowley was biased last night then you didn't watch. 11 questions, 10 times Obama had the last word whether or not he went first with the question. She even scolded Romney when he told her that he was supposed to get the last word by saying "the rules don't apply to the follow up questions" or something to that affect not to mention that she allowed the president to interrupt Romney all night long and she cut him off several times as well while allowing Obama to drone on and on whenever he wanted. Obama had a full 3 minutes of talk time over Romney.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    A fourth party, ie not the campaigns and not the moderator, needs to have control of the microphone switches. My major objection to last night's "debate" was that it was in a question and answer format, and the candidates basically had to break the rules to actually debate.

The fourth party should have the cut and dried task of watching the clock and TURNING OFF MICROPHONES when time is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    The fourth party should have the cut and dried task of watching the clock and TURNING OFF MICROPHONES when time is up.
    Or maybe they can get an old vaudeville hook....

or an orchestra, and play the candidate off the stage.

Reading CNN's rundown of the debate, they mention the Benghazi situation, but not a single word about how their moderator screwed the pooch. Color me unshocked.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.