Thread: High gas prices: under GWB = bad, under Obama = good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 High gas prices: under GWB = bad, under Obama = good 

Gas prices have been dropping pretty quickly this week, at least around here. I filled up on Monday, and it was down from 3.85 to 3.67 a gallon.

Yesterday, I drove by Meijer and it was down to 3.44. I'll be relieved if it gets under $3 a gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Gas prices have been dropping pretty quickly this week, at least around here. I filled up on Monday, and it was down from 3.85 to 3.67 a gallon.

Yesterday, I drove by Meijer and it was down to 3.44. I'll be relieved if it gets under $3 a gallon.
    I'd be happy with that as well. My 14mpg truck hurts when I take it to the gas station.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I'd be happy with that as well. My 14mpg truck hurts when I take it to the gas station.

I had to fill up one of the state vans recently, so I can imagine what that costs out of your wallet.

My Focus has a small tank and gets good mileage, but it still costs $35 to fill it up from close to empty.

OPEC is pushing the prices down to help Obama during the election.

Fabulous Poster
    I hate high gas prices as much as the next person, but keep in mind that gas prices peaked in the summer of 2008, ie before Obama came to office. Those prices then fell rapidly, showing us for the manipulated fools we are.

However, a little perspective which is no doubt not lost on the gasoline corporations. While the price of gasoline is a visual and emotional smack in the face to the American who remembers and longs for sub-$1 gasoline, as a function of minimum wage and some other cost comparisons, gasoline isn't all that expensive.

Let's use $3.50/gal since that is the going rate here.

Minimum wage is currently $7.25. So a gallon of gasoline is 48% of one hour's wage. In 1974 gasoline was 53/gal which was 27% of minwage. So by that comparison, gasoline is give or take 44% more expensive than it was 38 years ago. But the minimum wage is arbitrary, and some sources say that it hasn't been properly adjusted, that if it were then it would be $10.50/hr in which case gasoline would be 35% of minwage.

But minimum wage isn't the only figure we can consider. I remember that in 1974 the price of hamburger was 56/lb. which was roughly the same as the price of a gallon of gasoline. While it's possible to purchase cheap hamburger on sale for less, the going rate for decent hamburger is still about the same or more than the price of a gallon of gasoline. And for those who argue with my quality judgement, I would ask them if they would put the relative quality of gasoline in their expensive automobile that would correspond to $1.99 a pound hamburger in a tube from Walmart. Those large pieces of gristle might fuck up our fuel filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post

But minimum wage isn't the only figure we can consider. I remember that in 1974 the price of hamburger was 56/lb. which was roughly the same as the price of a gallon of gasoline. While it's possible to purchase cheap hamburger on sale for less, the going rate for decent hamburger is still about the same or more than the price of a gallon of gasoline. And for those who argue with my quality judgement, I would ask them if they would put the relative quality of gasoline in their expensive automobile that would correspond to $1.99 a pound hamburger in a tube from Walmart. Those large pieces of gristle might fuck up our fuel filter.
    Thing about hamburger prices is that we still have a supply chain that runs on oil. So of course a hamburger is going to increase in price if gasoline increases in price. It's going to be like that until we get away from a centralized food supply model (people grow/eat local), or until we use "alternate energy" in our shipping... but then everything would just be fixed to the price of that instead.

Within 30 days of Romney being elected, the liberals and all the MSM will be complaining about gas prices again, and saying that he is in bed with the oil companies.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    Within 30 days of Romney being elected, the liberals and all the MSM will be complaining about gas prices again, and saying that he is in bed with the oil companies.

Well, Bush really was an oil man, with career-long ties to the industry.

If Romney is elected, we'll probably wait until more jobs go to China, then we can accuse Romney of being in bed with the Chinese, which could result in some funny photoshopped images.

Well, Bush really was an oil man, with career-long ties to the industry.

If Romney is elected, we'll probably wait until more jobs go to China, then we can accuse Romney of being in bed with the Chinese, which could result in some funny photoshopped images.
    I don't care if Bush was an oil man. The liberals were all screaming that Bush was in bed with the oil companies and he is the reason prices were so high. But now that Der Kaiser is Der Leader, they are all saying that the President has no control over the prices. There is a two way street for everything, but the liberals only travel the way section. The stupid hypocrites.

I can remember seeing the nightly ticker on MSBC telling you what the national gas price average was and what the war death toll was. I can also remember Botox Pelosi and her minions standing at gas stations having a press conference placing all the blame on Bush. Now that Der Fuhrer is Der Leader, you don't hear a peep out of any of them and they say that high gas prices are good!

You have to to be stupid to not think that won't change after Romney takes his rightful place in the Oval Office. Like I said, I give it 30 days, and that is being nice.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _