Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 So, no Romney men have ever served in the military? That is disgusting. 
    Ahhhh, yes. Liberals at DU are nothing more than Pavlovian Dogs. If it weren't so pathetic it would be humerous.

Now that there's a REPUBLICAN compaigning for the Presidency that has not served in the military CHICKENHAWK is back in the forefront.

link

efhmc (9,115 posts)

So, no Romney men have ever served in the military? That is disgusting.

All five of my mother's brothers served in WWII in different branches of the armed forces

They're even tweeking the definition for these changing times.

efhmc (9,115 posts)

7. They have countless generation of chicken hawks who have not served.

If they were pacifists I would give them a pass but they love and support war, they just don't want anyone they LOVE in one.
    oneTampaKeeper (9 posts)

5. Exactly

That's the very definition of a chicken hawk.

Don't miss the repeat of Lawrence O'Donnell's show when it repeats tonight. He has something to say to the Romney boys who didn't serve. It was fantastic.
    deaniac21 (6,346 posts)

13. The Obama family have been

staunch defenders of our country!
    Yep, acording to their definition, Obama is a staunch chickenhawk!!
    chughee99 (9,118 posts)

37. I thought I understood what a chickenhawk was, but after reading this thread, I'm not so sure.

Is it someone who is willing to send troops to war, but has never served themselves?
    efhmc (9,115 posts)

42. Is not just not serving but actively avoiding serving.

The idea of being forced to fight as many were, especially those who were not in college or had other privileges produced "the starkest class division in American military service since the days of purchased draft deferments in the Civil War".
    hughee99 (9,118 posts)

44. So chickenhawks are a dying breed then?

Since the draft has been gone for decades, some doesn't have to actively avoid service anymore.

Based on this, Paul Ryan wouldn't be a chickenhawk, but someone who had received 4 or 5 deferments might be.
    efhmc (9,115 posts)

46. Nope, pushing war without being willing to serve makes all 5 romney

sons and romney chickenhawks. Are you purposefully being obtuse?
    Here is the definition: chickenhawk (also chicken hawk and chicken-hawk) is a political term used in the United States to describe a person who strongly supports war or other military action (i.e., a War Hawk), yet who actively avoids military service when of age.
    efhmc (9,115 posts)

50. "willing to serve" seems to be the key here. I do not see any of these

people or their families being "willing to serve", yet they are very "willing to send other to serve."
    Bozita (26,394 posts)

51. Perhaps time and the ending of the draft has created 2 classes of chickenhawls.

Classic chickenhawks - Apply for and receive deferments while beating the drums for war. Think Dick Cheney and Mitt Romney. Yes, classic chickenhawks are a dying breed.

Neo-chickenhawks - Beaters of the war drums but no longer need to apply for and gain deferments. Any excuse to not serve is acceptable provided the drum beating is loud and sufficiently long enough. Think Paul Ryan and all five of Mitt's sons.

None of the candidates have military experience-Obama, Romney, Ryan or Biden. Biden has a kid with military experience. The draft did not affect Obama or Ryan. Romney and Biden are both of the age to have been eligible for the draft for Vietnam, but draft-dodging is not really an issue anymore, if, indeed, either of them did so.

Obama's and Ryan's kids are too young, if it did matter at all. But it doesn't.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    None of the candidates have military experience-Obama, Romney, Ryan or Biden. Biden has a kid with military experience. The draft did not affect Obama or Ryan. Romney and Biden are both of the age to have been eligible for the draft for Vietnam, but draft-dodging is not really an issue anymore, if, indeed, either of them did so.

Obama's and Ryan's kids are too young, if it did matter at all. But it doesn't.
    The perils of getting older include a fading memory. I can't swear to it, but I think I recall McCain's military service being a GOP bragging point and Obama's lack of same to be a GOP criticism. Correct me if I am wrong.

But since we are on the subject, should a candidate necessarily be a military hero who stepped to the front to save his comrades, or would a clerk in North Dakota count equally? If we have two candidates, and one is a former combat officer and the other is a former Navy band leader is there going to be a pissing contest?

But Obama has plenty of military experience! He's served in the armed forces! He's been Commander-in-Chief of the entire US military for almost 4 four years!

/ducks

Then of course you would remember when in '88 the left jumped all over Quayle's deferment but couldn't wait to suck Clinton's dick when he admitted he was a draft dodger. Liberals and hypocrisy are one and the same.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Power CUer
    The fact is that now and going forward, military service is going to be more and more rare among those in public life - I'm not saying that's a good thing, just that it IS. Neither side is going to be able to use it as a point of criticism.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

You all are forgetting that it is o.k for a liberal to dodge the draft and not serve, but it is not o.k for a republican to do it. I thought we all knew that liberals are lying hypocrites who hate the troops and the military?

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

efhmc (9,115 posts)

So, no Romney men have ever served in the military? That is disgusting.
    Remind me again what Branch of the military Obama served in?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Remind me again what Branch of the military Obama served in?
    The last Dem President to serve was Jimmy Carter. The Dems every since then have been blasting the military and trying to cut funding from them.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    The last Dem President to serve was Jimmy Carter. The Dems every since then have been blasting the military and trying to cut funding from them.
    Yup. I survived the Clinton years the first time I was active duty.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.