Thread: pressure smoker

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    We had electric pressure smokers at work, does well, but tends to be a bitch to clean up after smoking. Ours could fit three of your whole smoker units inside.

Give some advice.

Smoking brats, make sure to poke holes in the casing, else they tend to pop the casing as they cook and look horrid. For more smoke flavor, if your unit can cold smoke, do it for half an hour first, then hit them with the heat.

Also, if it can cold smoke, (Smoke food with no heat), you can smoke cheese. Some units can do this.

For smoked salmon and smoked catfish. (Catfish is to die for)

1 Gal. of water
    3/4 pound of canning salt
    3/4 bottle of Kikkoman teriyaki marinade.
    1 pound of brown sugar.

Mix contents into a large bowl. Soak the fish portions in this mixture for a min. 4 hours. Over night is better.

Put aluminum foil on your racks, but take a sharp knife and cut slits in the foil so the juices can drain away from the fish as they smoke.

Lay the fish scale side down for salmon, on the racks, generously coat the meat sides with brown sugar. Sprinkle them with cookies flavor enhancer.

Our smoker it took about 45 min. But all smokers are different so make sure you use a meat therm. and hit an internal of 165.

The reasoning of the foil is fish will fall apart easily when smoked, so to not have to spoon it out of the bottom, use the foil. After its done smoking, set your racks with the fish still on them in your fridge to cool for about an hour. Makes getting them off the foiled racks easier without falling apart.

The mix you made to soak the fish can be reused several times up to about a week before needing to dump and replace. Try and find whole salmon fillet sides, nice ones, they smoke a lot nicer, you will just need to cut them into smoke-able sized portions first your self. Warning thou, there are some pre-cut frozen salmon sides out there. Don't buy them. They are low quality and usually garbage to begin with. I've seen some of them that you can tell they are dyed pink to look fresher then they really are.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    We had electric pressure smokers at work, does well, but tends to be a bitch to clean up after smoking. Ours could fit three of your whole smoker units inside.

Give some advice.

Smoking brats, make sure to poke holes in the casing, else they tend to pop the casing as they cook and look horrid. For more smoke flavor, if your unit can cold smoke, do it for half an hour first, then hit them with the heat.

Also, if it can cold smoke, (Smoke food with no heat), you can smoke cheese. Some units can do this.

For smoked salmon and smoked catfish. (Catfish is to die for)

1 Gal. of water
    3/4 pound of canning salt
    3/4 bottle of Kikkoman teriyaki marinade.
    1 pound of brown sugar.

Mix contents into a large bowl. Soak the fish portions in this mixture for a min. 4 hours. Over night is better.

Put aluminum foil on your racks, but take a sharp knife and cut slits in the foil so the juices can drain away from the fish as they smoke.

Lay the fish scale side down for salmon, on the racks, generously coat the meat sides with brown sugar. Sprinkle them with cookies flavor enhancer.

Our smoker it took about 45 min. But all smokers are different so make sure you use a meat therm. and hit an internal of 165.

The reasoning of the foil is fish will fall apart easily when smoked, so to not have to spoon it out of the bottom, use the foil. After its done smoking, set your racks with the fish still on them in your fridge to cool for about an hour. Makes getting them off the foiled racks easier without falling apart.

The mix you made to soak the fish can be reused several times up to about a week before needing to dump and replace. Try and find whole salmon fillet sides, nice ones, they smoke a lot nicer, you will just need to cut them into smoke-able sized portions first your self. Warning thou, there are some pre-cut frozen salmon sides out there. Don't buy them. They are low quality and usually garbage to begin with. I've seen some of them that you can tell they are dyed pink to look fresher then they really are.
    It will cold smoke too, I'm going to have fun with this thing!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

The Cookies Flavor Enhancer looks good, I'll order some, I got the smoker from Amazon too.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It will cold smoke too, I'm going to have fun with this thing!
    I watched that video of the smoker.

Noted two things.

1. "It's easy to clean". Nice one, smoke ribs on that thing and tell me that. Went through steel wool like mad cleaning that crap off.

2. He doesn't know what kind of meat he's smoking. That "Pork Butt Roast" in the video, was a boneless pork loin.

Also, he was smoking the ribs coated with BBQ sauce. Now you can do that, but you don't have too. The sauce is fully edible as is without having to cook it. You can smoke the meat first then rub the sauce on afterwards. Allows more smoke into the meat. And doesn't burn the sauce on the ribs. But if you want the sauce flavor deeper in the meat, then apply it first then smoke it.
    Rest In Peace America

Dang! Looks really good. Wish it wasnt 'above my pay grade' though.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

The Cookies Flavor Enhancer looks good, I'll order some, I got the smoker from Amazon too.
    Your going to love that stuff. You should be able to find it in just about any grocery store. Its fairly common. They have smaller bottles then that one I showed you. I just wanted you to see what it was.

You can use it on just about any thing. Burgers are great, put it on roast you want to just cook in the oven if incredible.

Real treat, shrimp kabobs. Get fully cooked shrimp from your freezer section, no breading, sprinkle that stuff on them, you won't even want cocktail sauce their that good.
    Rest In Peace America

7. #17 Re: pressure smoker 
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    Dang! Looks really good. Wish it wasnt 'above my pay grade' though.
    It was 220.00 from Amazon which is why it was on my wish list two years , had I known how well it would work I would have squeezed it in long ago.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk 2

Give you a BBQ Sauce recipe to try too. Its what we use to use when we made our own in the store. Its really good. And cost a 1/3rd the amount of store bought.

You will have to do the math on this as this mixes 5 gallons of sauce.

4 gallons of Ketchup. (Brand doesn't matter, so cheap is just fine)
    3 - two pound bags of Dark Brown Sugar.
    1 - 16 fluid ounce bottle of worcestershire sauce
    1 - 16 ounce bottle of yellow mustard.
    1 - 4.50 ounce bottle of Onion Powder
    5 - table spoons of garlic powder
    3/4 - 9.25 ounce bottle of Chili Powder
    20 shakes of Tabasco sauce
    2 - table spoons of black pepper
    Half gallon of water.

You are going to use the water mostly to rinse out the various bottles as you dump them into a large pot. But add in the rest later for final mixing. Mix all the contents, except the Ketchup first in a large pot, or bowl. Adding the water in this first. Mix well, then add to the ketchup in a large cooking pot.

Put on the stove and cook for about 15 - 20 min to break down the sugars. Stir well this whole time. If you don't, it will burn on the bottom of your pot and ruin the batch, not to mention make for one hell of a pot to try and clean it from. Make sure to stir it on the bottom as it will burn there first and fast.

After cooking, pour into containers and refrigerate till used.
    Rest In Peace America

It was 220.00 from Amazon which is why it was on my wish list two years , had I known how well it would work I would have squeezed it in long ago.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thats what I mean when I say its well 'above my pay grade'. We absolutely struggle just to pay the gas and the electric bills now. And Im hoping we can contribute to this website soon too. It wouldnt be a problem if jobs werent so scarce. Just have to figure out how to juggle things around in a certain way I suppose.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    Thats what I mean when I say its well 'above my pay grade'. We absolutely struggle just to pay the gas and the electric bills now. And Im hoping we can contribute to this website soon too. It wouldnt be a problem if jobs werent so scarce. Just have to figure out how to juggle things around in a certain way I suppose.
    It will save me money and a lot of time, smoking meat turned into an all day deal for me using the smoker outside so often when i didn't have the time I would buy it and bring it home, anybody that buys barbeque can tell you the high cost of smoked meat per pound.
    Another problem I had was that because of the burn ban we were not allowed to use a wood smoker outside for most of this year and last.
    The only draw back I see is that it is a little small (4 pounds capacity) but that woman pointed out that when it takes less than an hour to cook you don't need to make large batches because you can make it anytime you like.